comparing plots (from the demos)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: comparing plots (from the demos)
Apprentice
Member # 4708
Profile #0
I'm playing the Geneforge 3 demo and enjoying it greatly. But so far it seems the game will force to join either the rebels or the shapers, or am I wrong? I thought the perspective in the first game was better, with the threee servile groups (even if I only played the demo).

Without giving away spoilers, which one from the series has a better plot and more moral options in your opinion?
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #1
The choice between only two sects, and being forced to join one or another, has its advantages and its drawbacks. Multiple sects and indecision helped enrich the plot of the first two games, while not having the luxury of sitting on the fence in the third game makes it more intense. I think overall the second game works best in terms of conflict between groups and how you influence things.
Apprentice
Member # 6161
Profile #2
Jeff deleted the seemingly most moral sect (the Awakened) in GF3. He showed in many ways (both in GF2 and GF3) that the dual-survival of free will and social order is no longer posible facing such power as creating life. Personally I think the rebel brings people spiritual satisfaction while making them suffer much more than under shaper rule. Pretty much like the French Revolution.

Actually, Jeff let a member of the Awakened from GF2 join the rebel and be happy with that position.
Apprentice
Member # 4708
Profile #3
I wonder if becoming a dad changed Jeff? Even if it was unintended, don't you think the serviles could be the perfect analogy for the children's condition?

Maybe I should play through the games in order to appreciate the whole story? I am just confused though, as all stories seem to start in the beginning of the rebellion instead of having a logic follow up, like they were different approaches?

Any chance of a trilogy discount soon? :)
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Leonor:

Any chance of a trilogy discount soon? :)
I think we can count on one, but not yet. The game is still fairly new, and Jeff'll want to make as much money as he can. Maybe by Christmas though...

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Warrior
Member # 5935
Profile #5
quote:

Without giving away spoilers, which one from the series has a better plot and more moral options in your opinion?

IMHO I'd say that the Shaper Loyalty has a better plot towards the end and offers more excitement than ther rebels. I played a loyal 3 times, and a rebel 1.
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Phay Tsai:

Jeff deleted the seemingly most moral sect (the Awakened) in GF3. He showed in many ways (both in GF2 and GF3) that the dual-survival of free will and social order is no longer posible facing such power as creating life. Personally I think the rebel brings people spiritual satisfaction while making them suffer much more than under shaper rule. Pretty much like the French Revolution.

Actually, Jeff let a member of the Awakened from GF2 join the rebel and be happy with that position.

That Awakened actually makes his apperance in G1. He is not alligned back then, though, but allready ancient. Would not surprise me if he shows up in G4 aswell.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #7
quote:

...Maybe I should play through the games in order to appreciate the whole story? I am just confused though, as all stories seem to start in the beginning of the rebellion instead of having a logic follow up, like they were different approaches?

To understand overall storyline you have to play the games in order. You will not understand what Geneforge (the artifact) is unless you play Geneforge 1. And you will not know where drakons come from unless you play Geneforge 2.

Another reason why I'd recommend starting with Geneforge 1 is that it and Geneforge 2 have much better plot. If you are going to chose only 1 game out of the series, I'd recommend Geneforge 2, because it has largest range of meaningful options and much better plot.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #8
But G1 still rocks all the other games.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Warrior
Member # 5935
Profile #9
I agree that GF1 is still the best. Sequels need to build upon the first one and add new twists to keep the excitement there. The last two have the 'recycled' feel to them...