Shaper Help

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Shaper Help
Warrior
Member # 5550
Profile Homepage #0
Could people please give me some advice for how to play as a shaper, as I seem to be doing it wrong and dieing horribly. Also, I have heard people say that you can get create drayk early on. When can you first get it?

--------------------
Q: What is the sound of one hand clapping?
A: The sound of someone getting smacked upside the head.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a good side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Don't worry Alorael, custom titles are overrated.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #1
The canister of Create Drayk is in the Inner Keep on Dhonal's Island, northeast of Lord Rahul's quarters.

Do you have creations? And what are your stats?

[ Saturday, July 02, 2005 13:14: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #2
Pump Intelligence, ONE shaping skill, either mental, blessing or battle magic or neither. Remember to use Daze. Keep a few creations at Torment and only one or two at lower difficulties.

Not really much to it.

First Create Drayk canister can be found in Dhonald's Keep, in Lord Rahul's private chambers.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Warrior
Member # 5550
Profile Homepage #3
Thank you for your advice. But I would be very grateful if someone could give me advice on which creations are worth and what to have. And I don't like deadweight shapers.

--------------------
Q: What is the sound of one hand clapping?
A: The sound of someone getting smacked upside the head.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a good side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Don't worry Alorael, custom titles are overrated.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #4
I like Fyora/Cryoa for low levels because you can make them very early on, and they are relatively powerful and inexpensive; Drayk/Cryodrayk works well for higher levels.

[ Saturday, July 02, 2005 16:19: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #5
All creations have their worth, really. Basicly, stick with one type as soona s you get it, then upgrade to the stronger type when you can, within the same school of shaping.

For example: First Fyora, then Cryoa, then Drayk.
First Artilla, then Searing Artilla, then Vlish, then Ghlaak, then Gazer.
Thad, Thad Shade, Battle Alpha, Rothgroth.

Just remember to stick to one school of shaping, since it gives focus on the specific area where you spent your skillponts, and thus gives maximum bonus.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Warrior
Member # 26
Profile #6
Creation specific groups are a bad idea. Vary your creation types. You'll find that using several of the same type will get you caught in some stick situations. Mix it up, and usually include one or two battle creations that can take the brunt of the hits.

--------------------
Not a signature
Warrior
Member # 5870
Profile #7
Yep, focusing on battle or magic creations will get you in great trouble.
However, fire creations are more versatile.
They can do fire, cold, magic, acid and physical damage.
Still, it is better to mix creations of different types.
Gazers+ drakons+ rotghroths make a perfect army.
Warrior
Member # 5870
Profile #8
Great early creations:
Cryoa and vlish both at the 2nd island.
Drayk at the 3rd island.
Rotgroth at the 4th island.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #9
Thahds and Thahd Shades are also pretty useful to deal with enemies that get too close. (Or to prevent enemies from getting to your fragile Fyoras and Cryoras.)

My favorite strategy is to get high Mechanics (10+) and Leadership (8-10), enough Blessing Magic to cast your best blessing spell, enough Creation Skill to create your favorite creatures and dump the rest into Intelligence.

PS Don't forget to pick up the two NPCs - Alwan and Greta. The best thing about them is that they don't cost any essence to get or to upgrade, so you'll always have an equivalent of your top creations for free.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #10
I've never had the slightest trouble from focusing entirely on Magic creations. I make as many as I can, instead of evolving. As I gain skills and essence, I gradually replace all Artilas with Vlish, then add a couple of Glaahks to the Vlish, then upgrade them both to Ur-Glahhks, then go for as many Gazers as possible. In principle my army is vulnerable to physical attacks, but nothing gets close enough to attack. The only exception is late in the middle game, when my Vlish are beginning to fade; but Glaahks are quite good tanks, and they work fine as blockers.

That said, I'm beginning to think that there are also other ways to skin the cat.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #11
I haven't tried it, but I hear an alternate strategy is using one thaad shade, with dex maxed out then whatever you can spare to other stats, which due to its creation type and high dex almost nothing in the game has a significant chance to hit it at all.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #12
Yeah, it is. I have pointed it out several times. On Normal a Thad Shade can carry ou all the way to Gull, on Torment it will make Harmony seem like a walk in the park.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 6065
Profile #13
With me I usually get some leadership, and mechanic skill fist along with intelligence and either strength or endurance, I don't get magic until later.

--------------------
I like swords!
-Fighter
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #14
Endurance is pointless. If you get hit, you are not playing right.

As I always said: Mech 6 before you enter the mines on Greenwood, Leadership 7 before speaking with the commander in Fort Kentia.
Leadership 8 before speaking with the Shaper in San Ru, Mech 8 before entering Purification plant.

Add Infiltrator Vest+Cloak and Tinker Gloves and you got Mech 10 and Leadership 10, which is all you ever need in the game, enough to score you all that good Xp and special items.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 6065
Profile #15
True, but if you're gonna do that you have to be guardian, 'cause with shapers and agents you have to concentrate on getting high magic/shaping/strength, with guardians they really only needto worry about fighting skills, normal skills, leadership, and mechanics, and healing craft, at least I only needed that, oh and use javelins as a primary weapon as soon as you get them, they are very good! At least you should use them as a guardian, the batons are weak compared to them, unless you have either a lot of venom/acid thorns/batons you should use javelins, and javelins may not be useful when the enemy is too close, but you move back one and pow they take a beating! Watch out though because javelins weigh 1 lb per javelin so don't carry a lot of them.

--------------------
I like swords!
-Fighter
Apprentice
Member # 4112
Profile #16
Healing craft? My Shaper increased that just once, books, canisters and other sources carried it to 10 already ... and he just eneterd Dhonal's Keep.

--------------------
AKA xKiv : I/O,I/O, it's off to disk I go ...