testing ground, version 2

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: testing ground, version 2
Warrior
Member # 656
Profile Homepage #0
I was trying to do the second part of the testing ground and I simply cannot even get close to killing the first golem. I have a glaahk, a battle alpha, and a vlish (w/ almost no leftover essence). Is there some way to beat it that I am just missing?
Posts: 127 | Registered: Wednesday, February 20 2002 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #1
These golems are just extremely bad news. There are some tricks that might let you beat one or two of them, but the bracelet only gets really good when you can beat the final five, and those are brutal. So you basically have to come back a lot later.

If you do want to take down one of them, just to say you did, you might manage it with a lot of pre-buffing. Use the essence pool to put Augmentation and Essence Shield (and anything else you can) on everybody, use Mass Energize and Protection, and don't touch the rune until all your creations are in place to stab the golem the moment it appears.

Even dirtier tricks are to hit-and-run the golems down the corridor, going around corners a lot, etc. This is easier to do with an Agent, but you might manage something of it.

Worst of all is to lure the golem outside the complex, and then the Battle Beta will help you.

But even these tricks will only get you so far against the increasing numbers of golems in the later tests.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 549
Profile #2
So are you a Shaper? You need more than 3 creations if you're a Shaper.
Apprentice
Member # 5934
Profile #3
I came back a lot later, with a lvl 23 Shaper, 2 lvl 20+ Fyoras, 2 lvl 20+ Cryoas, 1 Roamer + Greta (with Acid spell improvement) and Alwan. Each of them augmented and used a Protection and Mass Energize before.

The 1st and 2nd tests are easy, the 3rd is a lot harder, then the 4th a bit easier again (I think) because the Pylons die a lot easier and you if you stay at one edge of the room some cant attack you.
The last test with 5 Golems is really really tough and cost me a lot of healing spores, speed spores, you name it. It's only worth it for a Shaper, I think.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #4
The first time I went through the final tests those pylons took me down. If you are too low a level (dex) the pylons get to go first. With four of them (all getting to go first) they have more than enough AP to blast the PC with essence orbs, and siphon HP down to nearly zero.

The final golems were pretty bad as well. They would run out and bop my creations before they knew what hit them. I was playing on torment and was at too low a level, so I had to come back after gaining some levels and HP.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 549
Profile #5
Well I did all the tests with a level 19 Shaper, 2 Vlishes, 2 Glaahks, and Alwan. Be sure to cast Augment, Essence Shield/Armor, and Steel Skin on everyone, then the Golems will rarely hit you and will do a lot less damage.

[ Sunday, June 19, 2005 08:54: Message edited by: Vicheron ]
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #6
I have to say, the Testing Grounds Part 2 has to be the hardest extra area in a game ever created. I've cheated my character considerably and it was still difficult to complete. I actually had to use strategy with maxed out stats, 2,000 HP, and 3,000 essence. Those who are able to complete this area legally have my admiration. Anyone who can clear it without frustration ought to up the difficulty level. ;)

--------------------
Wu wei... it's the only way
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #7
You haven't been to the Monastery yet have you?
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Vicheron:

Well I did all the tests with a level 19 Shaper, 2 Vlishes, 2 Glaahks, and Alwan. Be sure to cast Augment, Essence Shield/Armor, and Steel Skin on everyone, then the Golems will rarely hit you and will do a lot less damage.
Are you seriouse? That is like right after you leave Harmony. How did you get the Essence to have 4 creations and Augment/Essence Sheild them all on top of that? I can't recall Augment cost, but I will go with 20.

So that is 40 per person, which are 5, meaning 200 Essence just on augment/essence armor. Creation cost will be atleast another 100. What is your int? I am guessing you don't have the Gruesom Charm or Girdle of Geniouse yet, ynless you just Exitzoned a few levels.

All and all, it just seems highly unlikely. Sure, the Glaahks might stun the Golems, but since the Golems will be hard to hit and your Glaahks really low level compared to them they will just go down.

Edit: And oh, another 40 essence for Alwan. I did not even take the Steel Skin into account, but that would be another huge blow of essence.

[ Monday, June 20, 2005 14:41: Message edited by: Contra ]

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Shock Trooper
Member # 549
Profile #9
There are essence and health pools in the testing grounds so you can recharge and heal up after every test. I only had like 50 essence with all my creations. I used a lot of crystals and spores during the tests. Plus I played on normal, not torment

[ Monday, June 20, 2005 19:25: Message edited by: Vicheron ]
Warrior
Member # 3629
Profile #10
I did the last test it at around lvl 24 or so on torment with a Shaper. I had 5 vlish and Greta. The trick is to rotate your attacks and use your party as roadblocks so the golems have to walk a bit before getting to their target. Hopefully, you're able to take one down before your vlish run out of SP. Then its a matter of taking them down one by one.
PS: vlish rock.