Geneforge series board traffic: no long tail?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Geneforge series board traffic: no long tail?
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #0
MagmaDragoon recently asked on General where all the Geneforgers were. He had the idea that there is more traffic about Avernum 1-3 than about Geneforge 1-3. Is this really true? If so, why?

Please, no answers of the form 'Geneforge sucks', especially if you're one of the people who have by now made your opinion on that point abundantly clear. Restating it for the nth time here would just waste bandwidth. It is obvious that in principle this could be one reason why this board might get less traffic. I'm interested in less obvious possibilities.

I think that the Averna are larger, and have more obscure things like secret passage and puzzles for newbies to be stumped by, so that they post to ask for help. On the other hand, I'm not so sure that we really do get so many fewer newbie queries about Gn, say, than about An. Do we?

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #1
I've been thinking and finally decided that this board is mostly from old Spiderweb fans and most of them are attached to the Avernum/Exile story as Jeff's oldest story and therefore stick to that. These boards are dominated by Avernum and Exile fans where as newer spiderweb fan boards are dominated by the Geneforge fans.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #2
Agreed. And BoA keep occupied a lot of community members for make new scenarios.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #3
Though Avernum 1-3 has had even less traffic to the point that I'm wondering if we have gone through everything of interest to say.

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"The mind, if it exists, is nothing but an unfortunate after effect of the brain process."
-Kripke

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #4
Activity usually wanes as we get further away from a release. These boards see a boost in traffic on all forums after said event. I predict with the release of Geneforge 4, this forum will become abuzz with activity once more as new players discover the older games.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #5
Activity on a specific board differs from month to month. It wasn't too long ago that the Geneforge Series was very active. And the Geneforge Series has a lot more posts and topics than the Avernum Trilogy.

Dikiyoba actually feels that the Geneforge Series is more active. Maybe Dikiyoba is just more active here than there.
Apprentice
Member # 6311
Profile #6
I agree with Odim. The first game I saw was GF1. I liked it a lot and decided to try Avernum/Exile, but just never could get into them. However, I did like the demo for the latest Avernum, so maybe I'll eventually try them again. Two different styles of gameplay leads to two different groups of players.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #7
One reason for relative lack of activity now is that, with the availability of detailed walkthroughs, there are much fewer people asking questions about gameplay. So most discussion centers around strategies and phylosophycal question, and there is only so much you can talk about those things before exhausting the topics. A4 came out more recently, so there are still more things to discuss about it.

PS Talking about long tails, my A2 page is still getting several visitors per day, and Nethergate page is getting several visitors per week, so there are still people playing even older Spidweb games.

[ Friday, July 21, 2006 11:34: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Warrior
Member # 7099
Profile #8
Um. I played GF2 and I loved it. So I trid al the Avernum games. And I disliked them with great contempt. I didnt like the story or gameplay or anything. Geneforge I think is way cooler. Of course, I'm a newer player...But still. Anyways,i think im done now bubye

--------------------
I like everyone...I just like some people more than others!
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

So most discussion centers around strategies and phylosophycal question, and there is only so much you can talk about those things before exhausting the topics.
Someone has already opened a topic like: "Control the life you create: is moral or not"?

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba