Living Tools

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Living Tools
Apprentice
Member # 7136
Profile #0
I would like to know if anybody can tell me where to use living tools in Geneforge 3 because ive found so many locked doors and i dont know where to use my living tools.

--------------------
'If it wern't for electricity we would all be watching tv by candle light' George Gobol
Warrior
Member # 7002
Profile #1
quote:
Originally written by Corny Cheese:

I would like to know if anybody can tell me where to use living tools in Geneforge 3 because ive found so many locked doors and i dont know where to use my living tools.
Uh, if you have enough Living Tools for a door, then a message will pop up saying "Do you want to use X Living Tools?".

--------------------
Polaris
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #2
With living tools, you don't really "have to" use them anywhere. Most of the locked doors contain just treasure that you can live without. So you can use them anywhere you want.

If you find all doors requiring a lot of living tools, it's time to boost your mechanics skill. You could even skip all locked doors until later and come back with more mechanics.

There are also some doors that you aren't supposed to unlock. Such doors can be unlocked only by spending 5-10 living tools. If that is the case, the door isn't really supposed to be unlocked that way and should be unlocked by a key you find, or by talking to some character. So if you want to save living tools it's a good idea to talk to everybody in town and do their quests before you start unlocking heavily locked doors.

[ Tuesday, May 23, 2006 14:18: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Apprentice
Member # 7136
Profile #3
quote:
Uh, if you have enough Living Tools for a door, then a message will pop up saying "Do you want to use X Living Tools?".
That isnt what I meant. I meant when does it make sense to use a living tool and when does it make more sense to keep it for later.

--------------------
'If it wern't for electricity we would all be watching tv by candle light' George Gobol
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #4
If you have a stockpile of them, use them now. I think unlocking things gives you experience. If you're always out of living tools and you have the money to spare, buy some more.

You could always save your game, use the tools, see what's behind a door, and decide if it's worth having or whether the tools would be better spent unlocking a different door.

Dikiyoba's strategy is to up mechanics to a ridiculous amount, so Dikiyoba doesn't burn through very many living tools.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #5
quote:

That isnt what I meant. I meant when does it make sense to use a living tool and when does it make more sense to keep it for later.
Keep it for later. First get the Unlock Spell, only then you can use the LT for open all the other doors.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #6
I use them as I get them. Always. You get experience.

Actually, I tend to run out of things to unlock before I run out of Living Tools. I even unlock quest doors before I do the quest (the ones in Dhonal's Keep for instance) for that much more exp.

--------------------
One of these words is mispelled.
Apprentice
Member # 7109
Profile #7
Re-Geneforge 3
Is there a certain number that your mechanics skill should be at that will get you through most of the game? I'm out of tools, (bought the one's I could find, and used the one's that I found). Gull island doesn't seem to have that many merchants (so far anyway.)
Thanks
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #8
Depends on your play strategy. If you are a fighting type, I'd recommend getting around 6 early on. This is about where it starts becoming expensive to train in and you get to open a lot of doors efficiently. If you are playing a stealth strategy, get at least 12, as you will need it to get past a lot of nasty encounters.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #9
quote:

I use them pretty much everywhere until my mechanics skill is high enough not to need them. By that time, I also have the "Unlock" spell, so locked doors basically become fairly meaningless, unless they're really tough to pick.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #10
I think it's worthwhile trying to pump mechanics to 20 (including items, so actually maybe 14 or 15 without items) because that makes the final zones a little easier. The skill point cost is not too great.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Apprentice
Member # 7109
Profile #11
So is it more effective to put points into mental magic or mechanics, if I want to get the most out of the unlock spell?
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #12
I don't believe you will ever be able to open the really tough doors by way of the unlock spell even with a lot of Mental Magic. Also, mechanics helps with traps and mines, which unlock is worthless against.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 7109
Profile #13
Well for right now, I'm getting mostly 3 tool doors, but I just went up a level, so I'm wondering which stat boost would help me out the most. (Or does it really make any difference?)
Thanks
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #14
As I said, it depends on your style of play. If you are a combat person, then magic might be more wise. If you are a stealthy individual go with leadership and mechanics.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #15
In GF3, the first island needs a maximum of 10 mechanics and you can easily get by in the 6-8 range. The third island (Dhonal's)you need about 12 and you start getting items that you can just for traps and doors.

The main advantage is the extra experience for unlocking doors with mechanics and living tools and removing traps and mines. The game usually has two paths where one requires mechanics and the other combat skills. Doing both ups your experience.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #16
I usually play as a Shaper, so I can use a little magic and a few living tools. I find that if you get mechanics to 14-15 and stockpile a few LTs, you should be fine throughout the game. I don't play as a Guardian usually, so I don't know about that. The Agent should use lots of Unlock and a few living tools where nessesary.

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.