Geneforge without the Geneforge

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Geneforge without the Geneforge
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #0
The Geneforge world has a lot of interesting things going for it even apart from the major plot arc that drives the game series (Geneforge to Drakons to Rebellion to ?). I want to see what happens next, of course. But it would also be cool to have some looser, more open-ended games where you could just mess around as a Shaper -- maybe prequels, set in the good old days before Danette had her bright idea.

Explore a wild region and establish a Shaper colony. Develop a mine. Or exterminate a rogue Shaper, then become obsessed with his mad vision, take over his spooky lab, follow clues in his notes leading to quests for rare components, conjure some netherworld fiend, construct a horrific monstrosity, and terrorize the world.

Or anything else. We don't need geneforges to have a good time.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #1
Well, after GF4 this may be possibile, with Blades of Geneforge. ;)

Anyway, I like your point. This may be a good idea.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #2
I completely agree. Variety would be pretty good. Otherwise, canister-crazed Shapers and Geneforge-building Drakons are going to become the evil Vahnatai of the Geneforege world.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #3
I'm personally eager to create a horrific monstrosity. It'd be something.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #4
I think I saw Jeff say that there were no plans for Blades of Geneforge.

Not starting off as a Shaper (creating monsters) would be okay. The ability could always come later. Especially since Jeff made servile as an option.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

I think I saw Jeff say that there were no plans for Blades of Geneforge.
Maybe because now He is focusing on GF4.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #6
BoG won't exist. If it does, it won't have custom graphics. You need about two hundred for one monster because of real-time animation.

But I think we need another storyline as well. It's been the same thing with minor variations straight through the trilogy. How about a massive creation revolt?

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by MagmaDragoon:

Maybe because now He is focusing on GF4.
You capitalize "he?" Are you suggesting Jeff Vogel is a god? Many here would not disagree.

Thanks for reminding me that Danette was the one who started it all. I was really trying to think of it a few days ago.

Something a little more RTS-geared would be cool. Like, maybe you get to go exploring. And choose one of three places to establish a camp. And this alters the game. I love things that force you to play through multiple times. Commanding troops is a must. And prequels. I love prequels. Suggested playing as Trajkov prior to the Sucia Expedition. I'd REALLY like to play as a Sholai, without the Shapers being in the game too much.

Speaking of the Sholai, in GF1 they say they're from a cold place, right? But the GF3 guy says it's tropical ...

--------------------
One of these words is mispelled.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Nick Ringer:

You capitalize "he?" Are you suggesting Jeff Vogel is a god? Many here would not disagree.
Well, is my personal god. ;)

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 7023
Profile Homepage #9
Sounds like a sort of Warcraft theme, but then again a Geneforge made in that way would be outrageously fun. Allowing many quests and challenges of being the head shaper in a town fighting a war and pushing the enemy back farther and farther...but then again that doesnt seem like Geneforge to me :( I'd definitely play and enjoy it, but it wouldn't be right to me...just not the same as the great Geneforge series thusfar :D

--------------------
~Rob Savage~
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #10
Uh oh, I'm in the sig.

MagmaDragoon, you might want to consider shortening. Not the ingredient, but take out the extra spacing in your sig. Your posts take up the screen even if you post just one line ... I mean. You could get it down to:

No one was born to be a slave. Join the Awakened TODAY!
Slartucker: Magma, you are actually Marlenny's dog ... I think we should make MagmaDragoon's mother an honorary member of the forums.
Nick Ringer: Are you suggesting Jeff Vogel is a god? Many here would not disagree.
Spring: Magma, you look a bit like MM with glasses.
> Written by MagmaDragoon, the mighty LavaKnight and also only one Italian™ in the Forum.

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #11
Dikiyoba doesn't know about that, Nick. It's actually kind of funny seeing someone with a longer signature than Arancaytar. Long live the long sig! :P

Edit: Typo.

[ Monday, April 24, 2006 17:47: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #12
quote:

MagmaDragoon, you might want to consider shortening. Not the ingredient, but take out the extra spacing in your sig. Your posts take up the screen even if you post just one line ... I mean.
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

It's actually kind of funny seeing someone with a longer signature than Arancaytar. Long live the long sig! :P
Since I agree both opinions, I will open a pool on General. :P

quote:

Uh oh, I'm in the sig.
If you want, I will put you out of my sig. But, consider it a sign of "respect". I like your statement. :)

[ Tuesday, April 25, 2006 05:47: Message edited by: MagmaDragoon ]

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #13
The uh-oh was a joke. Can't blame you for thinking otherwise, it's tough to detect e-sarcasm.

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #14
"Geneforge Gaiden"

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #15
In other news, GF3 is awesome, if you play it, er, intoxicated.

So I hear.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #16
No.

When I'm intoxicated* I do other stuff. But drunken attempts to play any Geneforge title proved difficult, given the reading and the fact that I forget what I did. Much better, I tore the counter surface off my bathroom sink in a burst of herculean might, then passed out on the floor.

Incidentally, has anyone noticed that each Geneforge title has more drunks than the previous one? GF1 doesn't have any that come to mind. GF2 has Zoka and some other serviles. GF3 has a few significant NPC's and a whole inn of sailors who are "sleeping off the near-suicidal amount of alcohol they consumed the night before."

* intoxicated: inebriated, drunk, buzzed, crapitated, under the influence, sloshed, toasted, hammered, pissed, ****ed up, ****faced, creamed, blitzed, blasted, blottoed, wasted, lit etc.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #17
Trust me, it is. You have to balance it carefully so that you are only drunk enough that you retain sufficient faculties. It helps if you had the game running before you started drinking. The attacks of the rotghroths in particular take on a new hilarity.

*flails like a drunken rotghroth*
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #18
Actually, I would swig it out of a bottle I kept in a drawer under the computer (how unorthodox!). I used to drink peach vodka as I played. And by vodka, I mean 70-proof CRAP. $14 for a handle. McCormick's, which I actually love. Just don't spill it. So sticky and sweet. Tend to hit my head on the desk, swaying madly.

And how can you put "balance" and "drinking" into the same sentence? Damn "straight" lines, they move them under your feet. Sneaky cops.

Er, can we talk about Geneforge though? I was really liking the war-waging, with troops at your disposal and stuff.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #19
Like I said, I'm all for the horrific monstrosity idea. Bonus points if it eats you at the end of the game.