30 Skill Points To Spend -GF2-

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: 30 Skill Points To Spend -GF2-
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #0
IMAGE(http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/1553/gene28em.jpg)

Any suggestion?

[ Tuesday, April 18, 2006 03:38: Message edited by: MagmaDragoon ]

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #1
quote:
Originally written by MagmaDragoon:

IMAGE(http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/1553/gene28em.jpg)

Any suggestion?

Yes.

Put one or two on spellcasting (that's more cost-efective for a guardian) to boost up oyur magic. Put about 2 on luck, then distribute the rest on combat skills, especially parry, as it's uber-powerful in GF2 (which I assume you're playing 'cause of the blue colour).

Ofcourse, this is just my opinion, and as I find the Guardian nearly as useless as the Shaper, it won't be the 100% best. But I've won with guardians on torment, so I must have done something right.

Also: Make a creation pack. I note you don't have one yet. A half-dozen cheap Cryoas to distract your enemy will work wonders, and the essence will be going to waste otherwise.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #2
If this is Geneforge2, get your Parry up to about 14 or 15. With several items that give bonus to Parry, this should give you enough to max out chance of Riposte. The rest of points can go into combination of Endurance, Weapon Skill, Quick Action and Luck. I'd also recommend a slight increase to Blessing Magic to be able to cast Haste. However, if you don't have enough energy for it, don't bother.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Warrior
Member # 4278
Profile Homepage #3
^ agree. Put it all into Quick Action and Parry. With my Guardian, I like to get both to 14.

--------------------
Pathological Jerk
Jerking at Spiderweb since 1999
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #4
How can you stand a 98-lb. weight limit?

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #5
That's Geneforge 2 for sure. It's the only game with Parry, I think, and I can tell by the Guardian and interface graphics. Just to show off, I think the area is the arboretum zone (north of the desert between Fort Gheth and Drypeak) at the west entrance.

--------------------
One of these words is mispelled.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Nick Ringer:

Just to show off, I think the area is the arboretum zone (north of the desert between Fort Gheth and Drypeak) at the west entrance.
Yes, is GF2, but you are wrong. The area is Complex Core. :P

quote:
Originally written by Dead Weight on the Forums:

Because my Strengh...? :confused:

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by MagmaDragoon:

quote:
Originally written by Dead Weight on the Forums:

Because my Strengh...? :confused:

He's not asking how you have that limit; he's asking how you can play without the weight limit causing serious problems for you. That's what "how can you stand it" means.

[ Tuesday, April 18, 2006 04:19: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #8
Oh. I haven't a response, anyway. The encumber limit seldom causes problem to me.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #9
When playing a Guardian, which I seldom do because I am devoted to the Agent class, I boost Strength up, as well as the recommendations of previous posters.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #10
Yep, typically with good equipment I will run up maybe 80 lbs on just what I'm wearing. Let's see ... my Agent wears 70.5 lbs of goodies, and the other crap I carry tends to be easily upwards of 50 lbs. But, I'm encumbered at 154 lbs. Then again, when I loaded up that file, she was carrying 195 lbs.

If you have trouble getting encumbered (In Geneforge 3), get a Talisman of Might. Unfortunately, the only means for making one is on an Enchanted Anvil. Ingredients aren't hard to get ...
- Gold Necklace
- Mandrake Tincture
- Demon's Bile
... except, of course, the ...
- Rotghroth Fang
... I believe there are only two or three of these in the game. One is on the Isle of Spears, Southern Gates. There's one in the Monastery Caves, and I believe one in the Monastery of Tears itself. If someone can remind me that'd be good, as it's a submission thorn in my side not being able to get a Rotghroth Fang sooner.

Oh, and all the ingredients must be forged at once. You shouldn't try to purify the necklace (as you would Shaped items).

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 7023
Profile Homepage #11
I'd reccommend leveling up before you put any points to anything seeing as your very very close to leveling.

Then I would raise my stats to the following...

Dexterity - 7
Strength - 7
Melee Weapons - 10
Quick Action - 10
Parry - 10
Leadership - 10
Spellcraft - 1(if you have any points left after all this put another to spellcraft if possible. Or if desired add the leftovers to Strength or Dexterity)

Personally I'd ignore most the things the others have said, but thats just me. The overall decision is yours, and I wish you the best in it all and in the game. :)

[ Wednesday, April 19, 2006 02:26: Message edited by: robsavage ]

--------------------
~Rob Savage~
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #12
Well, I play as a solo melee Guardian, so I would put skill points in strength, melee, QA, and parry. If it were up to me, my leadership would be up to ten and my mechanics would be up to fifteen, but that's just me.

Dikiyoba recommends raising a few skills at a time and not all at once, so that it's not a huge loss if you don't like where you place your skill points.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #13
I just had a splendid idea.

Spend all of your skill points on Parry. You should get it up to 16 (actually calculated). Anything that attacks you in melee will die.

You can't just do that from the start of the game, of course; the high incidence of getting hit by low-level enemies' attacks would bring you to your knees. When you have the opportunity to bump it like this (you're already suriving without spending skill points elsewhere) you might as well take advantage.

You can become largely invincible with enough Parry; if it's up in the 20's you can just walk through Gazak-Uss or anywhere with Drakons bouncing off you. Parry was removed from GF3 for that reason.

--------------------
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #14
quote:

I just had a splendid idea.

Spend all of your skill points on Parry. You should get it up to 16 (actually calculated). Anything that attacks you in melee will die.

You can't just do that from the start of the game, of course; the high incidence of getting hit by low-level enemies' attacks would bring you to your knees. When you have the opportunity to bump it like this (you're already suriving without spending skill points elsewhere) you might as well take advantage.

That's how I've played my guardian in G2. I had get enough other skills to survive, but Parry was top priority until I got it to a point where collecting all Parry canisters and +Parry equipment would get me up to max (18, I think).

quote:
You can become largely invincible with enough Parry; if it's up in the 20's you can just walk through Gazak-Uss or anywhere with Drakons bouncing off you. Parry was removed from GF3 for that reason.
What does Parry do at such high levels? I was under impression that it's useless to get it above 18 (or whatever level you need to get Riposte chance to 50%).

[ Wednesday, April 19, 2006 08:27: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #15
Well, I wouldn't bother taking parry to such a high level - the game is no fun to play when you outclass the monsters. It's also possible to beat Geneforge 2 using Haste + Strong Daze, but quickly very boring.

Myself I would stick to the knitting - the key stats are Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence and Endurance. I'd plough Matteo's spare skill points into these expensive skills. Even 30 points won't go far but it will be worthwhile in the long run.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Apprentice
Member # 7023
Profile Homepage #16
I'd really like to know what he's put his points to.

MagmaDragoon, if you feel like it, please post what you put them to.

Thanks.

--------------------
~Rob Savage~
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #17
Well. Wasn't speaking from experience. I just recall getting it up to about 15, and everything that wasn't a ridiculous monster died when it hit me. Just assumed it'd continue getting better as it leveled higher.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #18
quote:

Well. Wasn't speaking from experience. I just recall getting it up to about 15, and everything that wasn't a ridiculous monster died when it hit me. Just assumed it'd continue getting better as it leveled higher.
Nope. Once your riposte rate hits 50%, you don't get any further benefit from raising Parry even higher.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Micawber:

Well, I wouldn't bother taking Parry to such a high level - the game is no fun to play when you outclass the monsters.
I absolutely agree. Pimp only Parry seems "cheating" to me.

quote:
Originally written by robsavage:

I'd really like to know what he's put his points to.

MagmaDragoon, if you feel like it, please post what you put them to.

Thanks.

After I get others 5 poins, I make my decision:
IMAGE(http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7355/gf2stats6ef.jpg)

(+1 to Dex and Int, +2 to Meele Weapons, Parry, and Quick Action.)

(My next objectives are: +1 to all Shaping skills, +2 to Healing Craft, +2 to Luck)

Thanks for the advices, everyone. :)

[ Thursday, April 20, 2006 03:54: Message edited by: MagmaDragoon ]

--------------------