My aMAZEing idea...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: My aMAZEing idea...
Warrior
Member # 6629
Profile Homepage #0
I am just about to embark on a rather small scenario I hope to start in a day or to. It will not have a storyline, and will just be a series of different mazes on two mingling paths.

I know that I will make one of the mazes pitch black like the Deep crawler cavern in the Zha khazi run. Another one will be an entire area boxed into little squares with lots of scret passages.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or ideas for this?

--------------------
"When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #1
quote:
Originally written by Inthrall:

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or ideas for this?
DON'T DO IT.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #2
Please? Seriously. Don't bother. You may think mazes are neat, but they are more fun to design than as a good environment for BoA scenarios. Don't do it. For additional opinions, look at the previous post.

*this message sponsored by the word NO*

--------------------
WWtNSD?
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #3
Please don't do this! Mazes are bad, particularly when they have secret passages... they just aren't fun.

[quote=Inthrall
It will not have a storyline[/quote]Aigh!!! Very bad! The storyline is the main reason that scenarios exist! This is an RPG, after all!

I suggest that you incorporate a maze into a true scenario, and make the maze, how shall I put this... less of a maze. By which I mean, make it less intentionally infuriating to the player, and make it fit into the story. (the Deep Crawler mission in ZKR is a good example of a justified maze... and it doesn't even look like a maze, now does it?)

Surely, you can be more creative than a simple maze.

[ Friday, January 06, 2006 22:35: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

//www.freewebs.com/ephesos/]I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Warrior
Member # 6629
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
I suggest that you incorporate a maze into a true scenario, and make the maze, how shall I put this... less of a maze. By which I mean, make it less intentionally infuriating to the player, and make it fit into the story. (the Deep Crawler mission in ZKR is a good example of a justified maze... and it doesn't even look like a maze, now does it?)
Hmmmm...

Come to think of it, I could make it a bit like the minotaur legend. you know, where you travel to an island (correct me if im wrong) and fight a minotaur in a maze, and it has a king and other things...

[ Friday, January 06, 2006 22:45: Message edited by: Inthrall ]

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
Er, I didn't want to say anything, but I figured this would be the reaction you'd get.

Yes, the Theseus dungeon-crawl model would serve you much better than a pure maze.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 6629
Profile Homepage #6
Well, I had a look and I have am getting ideas already.

Ariadne and the Minotaur

In those days, Athens was required to pay tribute to Crete, the controlling power in the region, a situation that sets the myth in the mid-second millennium BCE: each year, seven young men and seven young women were to be sent to Crete as sacrifices to the Minotaur, a bull-headed monster in the Labyrinth constructed by Daedalus. Theseus, determined to end this horror, volunteered to be one of the sacrifices, and the fourteen chosen sailed to Crete on a ship with black sails, for mourning.

In an episode recounted in Pausanias and Plutarch's vita of Theseus, soon after the Athenians arrived in Crete, Theseus boasted of his parentage, as a son of Poseidon. King Minos, a son of Zeus, demanded he prove his claim by bringing up a golden ring he threw into the ocean, and Theseus descended to the Palace of the Sea, a motif used by the 5th-century Attic vase-painters. In the outcome, Theseus was more than successful: he not only recovered the ring, but also brought up a crown of Thetis that Ariadne was to wear.

Ariadne was a consort of Dionysus. However, she betrayed the old order when she fell in love with Theseus and gave him a magic sword with which to kill the Minotaur, and a spool of thread. Theseus unwound the thread as he made his way to the center of the Labyrinth searching for the Minotaur, so that he could find his way out of the maze again. In some versions, Theseus found and killed the monster while it slept, but later versions have him taking on the creature in battle, and other versions simply have Theseus beat the creature to death. After killing the Minotaur with the magic sword, Theseus married and fled Crete with Ariadne, but then abandoned her, at Athena's demand, on the island of Dia, or possibly Naxos.

I think I could try something small along these lines instead.

Immediate problems I noticed were:
- I would need to add some fighting in to start with, perhaps the local militia wanting to stop me.
- I don't know if I could animate the thread. i would have to mention it in the storyline instead.

*cringes in corner, waits for more stuff to be thrown at him*

[ Friday, January 06, 2006 22:57: Message edited by: Inthrall ]

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
Instead of fighting the local militia, you might have some tense questioning back and forth. A few dialog boxes would probably suffice to give the impression that there was some trouble brewing.

I agree that making the thread actually appear on the ground would be difficult. You could just indicate it by message boxes: "From here, you can see that your thread turns north, which must be the way out!"

Keeping it small and simple is good, especially for a first scenario.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Warrior
Member # 6629
Profile Homepage #8
I suppose. I was just thinking that there wouldn't be much fighting in it.

Another problem would be finding a minotaur animation and/or a magic sword which is good against it. I guess I could make a custom item for the sword, and make it like Demonslayer with different wording. But I don't know about the minotaur. Any ideas?

Also, im not sure whether to make this story set in avernum, and just make it a demon. Im not sure on many things actually.

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #9
What's actually the diffrence between a minotaur and a centaur? if they are roughly the same, you could take the centaur chief monster and alter it a bit. or was it a minotaur chief that's in the game?

the almighty chicken gods will have to help me with that.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Warrior
Member # 6629
Profile Homepage #10
A minotaur is a (top) halp bull, (bottom) half man. A centaur is a (top) half man, (bottom) half horse or other equestrian. I think.

Whos the guy who was preaching monotaurs a week ago on the Geneforge boards?

[ Saturday, January 07, 2006 00:30: Message edited by: Inthrall ]

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #11
Ah, then you ignore then my advise. I'd search on the Louvre for a graphic, or just ask somebody to draw one for you (or do it yourself).

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #12
quote:

Also, im not sure whether to make this story set in avernum, and just make it a demon. Im not sure on many things actually.
Better to keep it out of Avernum. Too many scenarios (one of them mine) are set in Avernum with demon villains.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #13
If I see any more demons I'll snap. That is all. Why doesn't anyone use pixies? Naughty pixies that trap you in a forest maze of some sort.

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #14
If you'd played enough of Alcritas's BoE scenarios, you'd eventually get sick of pixies as well. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #15
Just a suggestion adding combat- we already have a boar graphic, why not use a slight modification? You don't have to stick straight to the legend of Thesus, you know. And then you can just plop them in certain areas.

As for a minotaur graphic, you could blow up and add horns to this graphic. It might need to be tinted red, but that's easy.

[ Saturday, January 07, 2006 09:06: Message edited by: Notty ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

quote:

Better to keep it out of Avernum. Too many scenarios (one of them mine) are set in Avernum with demon villains.

Set it on the surface... we need more good scenarios on the surface. More specifically, some dry canyon kind of place would probably work well. And it'd save you work on graphics, since you could just use the dry ground floors/cliffs/walls.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #17
Maybe a puzzle, instead of just a maze, to make it more interesting and learn more about scripting. And lots of bones, floor and/or terrain, to make it creepier.

Dikiyoba.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Maybe a puzzle, instead of just a maze, to make it more interesting and learn more about scripting.
NO.

No freaking mazes or puzzles! How difficult is this for you maggots to understand?

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #19
I think "Mad Ambition" has a few puzzles in it. I wasn't talking about obvious "Here is a puzzle, get through it." Just something that makes the player think.

Dikiyoba resents being called a maggot. Chitrach larva is a much better description.

Edit: Added sentence.

[ Saturday, January 07, 2006 17:42: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Warrior
Member # 5274
Profile #20
quote:
NO.

No freaking mazes or puzzles! How difficult is this for you maggots to understand?

Yeah endless mazes of doom have been done to death around here. I'm glad you're running with the minotaur idea.

[ Saturday, January 07, 2006 17:43: Message edited by: Poit ]

--------------------
I assume my reputation for arrogant presumption precedes me
Warrior
Member # 6629
Profile Homepage #21
Awww... Just deleted my post. Better start again.

quote:
Set it on the surface... we need more good scenarios on the surface. More specifically, some dry canyon kind of place would probably work well. And it'd save you work on graphics, since you could just use the dry ground floors/cliffs/walls.
quote:
More specifically, some dry canyon kind of place would probably work well.
I think I will make the island of Crete a prosperous place. They are the dominating nation of the time. But, the area around the minotaurs lair will be lifeless. Yes, I will put it in a dry canyony place.

I was thinking that I could put the Minotaur at some ruins on the verge of collapse (after the maze). When the Minotaur dies, he knocks a pillar, and the place collapses. This means I wouldn't need to have to follow the magic thread out again.

Also, could someone sort out the Minotaur animation for me? Learning to script and making scenarios is enough for me.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 6629
Profile Homepage #22
Aaaaaagh! How did I triple post!

[ Saturday, January 07, 2006 20:33: Message edited by: Inthrall ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 6629
Profile Homepage #23
Aaaaggghhh! How!?!

[ Saturday, January 07, 2006 20:34: Message edited by: Inthrall ]

--------------------
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #24
Did you push the button thrice?

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00

Pages