BoA Editor Suggestions

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: BoA Editor Suggestions
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #50
How big do you want the limit to be, then?

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #51
I want there to be no limit, like a real programming language not designed by an imbecile.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #52
I think I could personally settle for as much script as you can fit in virtual + physical memory.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
====
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #53
That'd do, although there are always caching strategies. I wouldn't expect any more from Vogel than from myself.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #54
Not sure if this is possible, but...

short space_blocked(short loc x, short loc y)

Checks to see if the space is blocked. I'm not sure that there is any way to do this right now, minus the possibility of an ungodly-long while and if statement- if(get_terrain() == 67 || get_terrain() == 68 || ...) It would be totally unwieldy and not even remotely worth the trouble for the designer.

short creature_on_space(short loc x, short lox y)

Checks to see if there is a creature on the space. I suppose a while(i < 120) statement could be used and then the monster's coordinates checked accordingly, but it'd be a nice convenience to have.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #55
I heartily second the first suggestion (an interesting turn of phrase), if TM is saying what I think he is, namely to check whether a space is proper for a creature to be on at all -- the call is_blocked sounds frustratingly similar to this, but it's not at all. The new call would check whether the space or terrain type was blocked also.

As for the second, though, char_on_spot and char_on_loc do this, if I'm understanding that post correctly.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 643
Profile #56
I have no idea if this can be done and I've only played around with BoA editor using the demo. But I would of hoped there was a much more "user friendly" interface when it came to editing and creating the basics such as monsters, items and such, similiar to what was in BoE. Just as someone new to the editor it gets alittle daunting when all this needs to be written in somewhere.

If this is available it seems to be incredibly hard to find and not very obvious. Sorry if this isn't relevant as I see most of these posts are about adding new scripts in. But I thought I'd at least make my suggestion.

--------------------
Fine Meal is people!!!
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #57
No, it doesn't exist. Various people have made separate programs to edit your custom objects, but I don't know the status on those.

--------------------
Creator of the 3D Blades of Avernum Editor for Mac. Get it at Ingenious Isaac's Illusion, my web page. Better yet, get Battle for Wesnoth, a wonderful free TBS game.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #58
None of them are very good. Funny, it seems like it wouldn't be that hard to make a good editor for custom objects scripts.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #59
Didn't that guy make a good creature editor with a freaking cluttered stand-alone HTML form page with Javascript?

--------------------
====
====
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #60
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

As for the second, though, char_on_spot and char_on_loc do this, if I'm understanding that post correctly.
Yeah, but they don't check for party members... Again, I could do a while(i < 120) statement, but I don't want to have to.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #61
char_on_loc checks for party members, doesn't it?

--------------------
====
====
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #62
Yes.

--------------------
Creator of the 3D Blades of Avernum Editor for Mac. Get it at Ingenious Isaac's Illusion, my web page. Better yet, get Battle for Wesnoth, a wonderful free TBS game.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #63
void set_town_noice(short sound);
It's like set_incidental_noise();, except you can set it to any sound- even ones like fire burning, so that could be considered abusive.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 4857
Profile #64
This isn't exactly in the same vein, and would probably require major hacking, but it would be useful if I could export towns to an outside file, then be able to place them in another scenario. Being able to merge scenarios together would also make collaborative work much easier.

Like I said, I know this would require big adjustments, but it would save a lot of work at times.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #65
Um, there is an import town command. And an import outdoor section command.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 4857
Profile #66
ouch. at least I got caught by Kelandon.

*goes to read the manual a few more times*

[ Sunday, August 15, 2004 08:45: Message edited by: Anonymovs ]
Warrior
Member # 1016
Profile #67
I would like the call -

void cast_spell(short mage_or_priest,short which_spell);

for within a creature's script to make it cast a desired spell.
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #68
void deny_spell(which_spell)

I would like to able to lock out certain spells. I could remove the spells, but then I would have to keep track of who had what, plus they could use the editor to get those levels back.

Instead I just want to disable this spell(s) so that it can't be used.

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #69
You could just do a check in the attacking state for whatever you want to trigger the casting of the spell, and set the creature's spell levels accordingly.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #70
Good god, I can't believe we all forgot about cast_spell() and deny_spell(). This would be a major engine enhancement, but I'd like the attacking system to be much, much more complex. Um, probably belongs more in a new game.

Currently, you can only set a target and have the creature attack it. You can't specify a specific group of targets to attack, nor can you have it attack neutral things. And what is with not being able to check for target's immunities? At least not easily.

EDIT: Suggestion:
Fix(?) the joining NPCs so that they can use the custom script states beside INIT START and DEAD once they've joined up in the party..

[ Monday, August 16, 2004 18:09: Message edited by: Garrison ]

--------------------
====
====
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #71
One call that would be nice:

get_immunity(immunity_type)

Returns a value from 0 to 100 depending on the assigned immunity value.

set_immunity(immunity_type)

Sets a value from 0 to 100 to the immunity_type.

It is possible to remove spells from an NPC using the change_spell_level() calls. Although this call would be nice:

cast_spell(mage_or_priest, which_spell, spell_level, is_forced)

For creature AI scripts only. Causes the creature to cast spell which_spell at spell_level depending on mage_or_priest regardless of mage or priest spell ability. If is_forced is 0, the spell is only cast if the creature has enough spell points, otherwise the spell is always cast.

[ Tuesday, August 17, 2004 08:17: Message edited by: *i ]

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #72
I'd like the added feature of setting how fast a monster's health and spell points regenerate in the custom objects script, defaulting to 1/8th health per turn as it is now.

A medley of calls (please update, *i):

If possible, maybe the cast_spell() call could force other characters to cast spells, other than the current one.

void set_hp_regen(short which_char, short what_percentage) - Gets what percentage of which_char's maximum health is regained every tick.

void set_hp_regen(short which_char_or_group, short what_percentage) - Sets what percentage of which_char_or_group's maximum health is regained every tick.

short get_sp_regen(short which_char, short what_percentage) - Returns what percentage of which_char's maximum spell points are regained every tick.

short get_sp_regen(short which_char_or_group, short what_percentage) - Returns what percentage of which_char_or_group's maximum spell points are regained every tick.

void deduct_ap_from(short which_char, short how_much) - Counterpart to deduct_ap(), but you can affect other character's ap. Probably more useful in terrain scripts and custom abilities. The affected character's ap is reduced by how_much, which can be negative to add ap.

short check_path_to_loc(short loc_x, short loc)_y) - Has the pathing engine calculate whether or not the current character can reach location {loc_x,loc_y}. This call does not actually move the character along the path, though. Returns 1 if a path is found, 0 if there is definitely no path, -1 if there was no path found because the pathing engine stopped before exhausting all possible nodes.

short check_path_to_wayp(short which_waypoint) - Has the pathing engine calculate whether or not the current character can reach waypoint which_waypoint. This call does not actually move the character along the path, though. Returns 1 if a path is found, 0 if there is definitely no path, -1 if there was no path found because the pathing engine stopped before exhausting all possible nodes.

short check_path_between_locs(short loc_x1, short loc_y1, short loc_x2, short loc_y2) - Has the pathing engine calculate whether or not a character at location {loc_x1,loc_y1} could reach location {loc_x2,loc_y2}. Returns 1 if a path is found, 0 if there is definitely no path, -1 if there was no path found because the pathing engine stopped before exhausting all possible nodes.

I also suggest that there is an option for denying all spells with the previously suggested deny_spell() call, and then one would have to add the wanted spells.

[ Tuesday, August 17, 2004 09:21: Message edited by: Garrison ]

--------------------
====
====
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #73
If the player wants to cheat, they will find a way. If the only reason for deny_spell() is really to ensure against that, then there is no reason for it. If players want to cheat, let them. It's their loss.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #74
short get_inven_item_type(short which_slot);
short get_inven_item_level(short which_slot);
short get_inven_item_bonus(short which_slot);
short get_inven_item_abil(short which_slot, short which_ability);
short get_inven_item_abilstr(short which_slot, short which_ability);

So that we can check every item in the party's inventory for an item type, level, bonus, ability and ability strength. It would make parties entering scenarios much more reasonable.

short revive(short pcent_or_amt, short amt);

Called in a DEATH_STATE, so that a creature can still be alive even when beaten up. (Because really, half of the times I use the death node is to explain why somebody *isn't* dead, after all. :P )

More as I think of them.

--------------------

Pages