Graphics and the Louvre

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Graphics and the Louvre
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #0
This is something I've discussed a bit with Niemand, but it seems that the community's graphics are getting stretched out over a larger and larger area of webspace. The Louvre is really a wonderful idea, and it really seems like people have abandoned it as of late.

I'm not saying that we can't keep graphics we've made on each of our own individual pages, but I'd just like to argue for a bit more centralization of graphical resources. We're rapidly trending away from that.

Thoughts?

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #1
Well, I always have wanted a reason for my site to exist other than just hosting my graphics and scenarios. I could always crawl the internet for BoA graphics and host them all on my site (with credit to the appropriate artists, of course).

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaEl PresidenteWhere the Rivers MeetA Visit to the Madhouse
AvatarAphobiaIMAGINE THIS SCENARIO
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #2
What I had been thinking was that those of us, myself included, who've been hording our graphics on our own pages should make more of a point of submitting them to the Louve.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #3
I submitted one of my better graphics to the Louvre several months ago. It isn't up.

--------------------
It's only an eye, my lord.
Apprentice
Member # 5012
Profile #4
Well, I sent one of mine just a few days ago, and it went up. I still haven't had 4 other graphics put up, I sent them the day after.

--------------------
Yes, my username is an anagram.

It's a long story.
Posts: 25 | Registered: Wednesday, September 22 2004 07:00
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #5
I agree - a centralised place for graphics is definitely needed. As it is, there are too many spewed all over the place. I haven't submitted anything to the Louvre, mainly because most of my graphics are just edits, and partly because I thought Brett had stopped accepting contributions (I'm sure I saw a thread somewhere which effectively said as much).

Even if it's not the Louvre, there should definitely be a hub, even if it just links out to other sites.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - BoA Scenarios and poetry.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Brett's actual quote:
Sorry for taking so long, but I'm really out of Boa/BoE and have been for some time.

I'll continue to support both the Louvre and Alexandria until someone comes along to do it in my place.

Which seems to suggest Brett would be willing to turn over the Louvre if someone else was interested. But I'm not sure Brett's the problem-- it's just that a lot of artists don't submit to the Louvre.

[ Sunday, October 28, 2007 08:00: Message edited by: Lazarus. ]

--------------------
"NOW PASS ME MY BOOTS. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A FACE." -Nikki

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #7
I don't have a problem jumping from site to site. I only go to Louvre if I know the graphic I want isn't elsewhere. Which is probably why I gave my graphics to Ephesos to put on his website instead of submitting to Louvre.

I also don't the Louvre's site design.

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Lazarus.:

But I'm not sure Brett's the problem-- it's just that a lot of artists don't submit to the Louvre.
Agreed, and that was my point. I don't think anyone can fault Brett for falling out of BoX.

So the gist of what I wanted to say was this: Go submit stuff to the Louvre! :P

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #9
Would it be alright for one person to go through the various graphics repositories and submit them in a batch, or must it be done by the artist? If you have the time, you could do this yourself (and ditto for me).
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #10
I don't like to submit to the Louvre. All of my work there is either credited to the wrong person or a different alias (thankfully since they're all crap.) I'm not particularly fond of this idea as my work takes a lot of time and I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with it being shared through different mediums. If someone wants to do this, by all means go ahead, I wont stand in your way. Just know that I wont be submitting anything, someone else will have to upload the graphics from my site.

Remember to be careful, I wouldn't want to see a loss of quality in a transition.

--------------------
Enraged Slith's Blades of Avernum Website

Look out, there's a three-headed monkey behind you!
Warrior
Member # 7254
Profile Homepage #11
Upping my collections would require quite a bit of work. So no.
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #12
Some collections, like the vast amounts of portrait graphics, are indeed too unwieldy to dump into the Louvre. Some of your more altered creature edits should go in, though, I think.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #13
The Blades Forge (conceived August 2005) is beginning to rival Eye of the Storm in terms of development time. But I now have a site that users can submit graphics to, complete with thumbnails, taxonomy, keyword search. No manual administration required - all content is public on submission.

However, there are a few kinks I'd like to work out before I make even the functional (graphics) part of the site available.

Preview: Screenshot

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #14
Any idea when it'll be up and running?

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaEl PresidenteWhere the Rivers MeetA Visit to the Madhouse
AvatarAphobiaIMAGINE THIS SCENARIO
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #15
Well, it's taken a few years, but it looks like the Blades Megasite will be ready in a short while. ;)

--------------------
As the Chinese say, 1001 words is worth more than a picture.
- John McCarthy
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #16
TGM helped me iron out some bugs yesterday (or I should say he found them and I fixed them).

Don't let the screenshots fool you; scenarios are pretty broken and the reviewing / rating system is pretty much non-existent. As for the beta-tester exchange I would like to put in, I haven't even started on that. While scripting and articles are mostly ready, the only part of the site available for testing is the graphics and the user profile part.

Right now, I have two testers and a third one who offered but doesn't have his account yet. I think around 5 is probably all required until another part of the site (scripts next, probably) is unlocked... perhaps more, though.

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.