How continuous is the trilogy's story

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: How continuous is the trilogy's story
Apprentice
Member # 13112
Profile #0
Being relatively new to Avernum, I'd like to know, how important is it to play the first three Avernum games in sequence (from 1 to 3)? At least the fact, that they are called a trilogy, seems to hint that they indeed form a complete whole together.

You see, I just started playing the demo of A3 and began to wonder if I'm starting the book from the last chapters, so to speak. I really wouldn't want to do that (no, I don't read the last page of a book first... ;) ). So, is it a good idea to play A1-3 in correct order or is it largely irrelevant?
Apprentice
Member # 13037
Profile #1
As with all the continuous stories, progressing in order gives the reader/player/watcher a more complete view on the story, than starting from the middle, or going from the end to the beginning.

But Jeff's games do tend to reprise the earlier events in some form or the other to the player, so you will be able to gather the main points of the arc.

Oh, and in my honest, personal opinion, Avernum 2 is yet the best part of all the four I have played (Windows version of A5, hurry up!) plotwise. The third has a bit improved technical aspects, naturally, although the jump isn't as big as it was between A1 and A2. :)
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #2
If you're just playing the games to play them, you don't have to go in any order, since each game is totally independent of the others; and you can't use your save file from A3 (as an example) to play A1, A2, or A4.

However, for the best story continuity, you should play the games in order, since you'll have an easier time understanding how events unfold, and how some characters change from game to game.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #3
Also playing in order makes you appreciate how the game engine improves until you hit A4 and the Geneforge influence. Luckily A5 restores most of the glory of the first 3 games.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
As far as story continuity goes, yeah, you're best off starting with Avernum 1.

I've never thought this before, but it occurs to me that you probably want to play Avernum 1 first if you're ever going to play it at all, because most of the fun is in exploring this brand-new cave world, and if it isn't new (because you played A2 or A4), it's probably going to be somewhat less enthralling. (It's a pretty darn awesome game under ideal conditions.)

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

it occurs to me that you probably want to play Avernum 1 first if you're ever going to play it at all, because most of the fun is in exploring this brand-new cave world, and if it isn't new (because you played A2 or A4), it's probably going to be somewhat less enthralling. (It's a pretty darn awesome game under ideal conditions.)
I absolutely agree, and I'm sure that explains why E1/A1 is my least favorite of the games, having played them originally in the order E2-E3-E1.

--------------------
Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #6
Part of the fun of E/A 2, as well, is seeing how people and places have changed in the six years since E/A 1.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #7
Definitely start with A1 if you're planning to play all three, though A2 is the best. Dikiyoba started with A2 and had trouble playing A1. Knowing the basic outline of the story wasn't too bad, since A2 doesn't spoil all the details, but the less-polished engine was very difficult to adjust to.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
A1 has the most thorough introduction to the world of Avernum and to the caves in particular, but the plot of the series only gets underway in the later part of the game. A2 is great and keeps things moving. A3 actually stands alone quite well, as you see relatively few old places and old faces. A4 and A5 are, like the rest, fine on their own. I think they actually require having played the original trilogy even less, but it's nice to know all the background.

—Alorael, who thinks it's important to play through at least the demo of A1 to get a sense of the original way the caves work. After that it makes sense to play in order, but it's not really necessary. A2 is so good you should play it either after A1 or after the A1 demo. After that, keep playing however you want, keeping in mind that all things being equal going through the plot sequentially adds a bit.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 13112
Profile #9
Thank you for your many comments! I sort of expected your answer - the best way is to go from A1 to A3 in sequence.

I got a follow-up question. Some of you mentioned the technical/game engine issues of A1 when compared to A2. I'm curious, how pronounced are these? I've not played either, only A3 (demo), but even A3's interface took me awhile to get used to, especially picking items up (I know, I'm spoiled by them new-fangled games :) ). How, er, laborous is the game interface of A1 and what other technical issues are there with it?

Yes, I could just try the demos, but I'd appreciate your comments never-the-less.
Apprentice
Member # 13037
Profile #10
The first differences that pop into my mind would be the lack of right-click-action and the quest log, that were introduced in A2. Also the item descriptions are even more vague in the earlier games, than in A3.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #11
The job dispatcher doesn't occur until A3 and gets replaced by a job board in A4 and A5 with fixed number of jobs.

I think there are fewer inventory slots in the earlier games and until A4 you can exceed the maximum encumberance.

Remember to close doors behind you since it's possible in A2 to have someone accidently die that gave you a quest.

Some of the spells act differently in each game.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #12
In other words, there are a few minor details that will not make much difference in your experience overall.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #13
One big difference between A1 and the other two is that you can only have humans in your party. (Well, it's a big difference if you're like Dikiyoba and prefer to play as sliths and nephilim.)

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
A1-3 use the same engine with a few minor modifications, so if you can get used to A3 you can almost certainly get used to A1. The big changes in how the game works are the introduction of the very useful quest log in A2 and a major overhaul of how damage works and how much information item descriptions give you in A3.

—Alorael, who for the record likes knowing what every item does in A3 but liked damage levels in A1-2 more.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #15
In A1, weapons skills are easily raised and spells cost less points to cast.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #16
For me, possibly the biggest change between A1 and A2/3 was the range of the dumbfounding effect. In A1 mung demons could dumbfound your characters through walls and at any distance, so long as a member of the party was in sight. In A2/3 the dumbfounding effect had a sensible range and could be blocked by walls.

This meant that I was able to go back to my long-standing tactic of hiding my spellcasters in the next room while my fighters did all the killing :cool:

--------------------
Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Apprentice
Member # 13112
Profile #17
OK, thanks. I went and downloaded the demos for both A1 and A2 to check them out myself (nothing better than first-hand experience). Yep, as you've said, there isn't that much of a difference between the different versions. So once you learn the ropes in one of them, you already know your way around in the others. Clearly the biggest difference (game-wise) in the trilogy is the lack of right-clicks and quest logs in A1. The quest log's absence was a disappointment (haven't been taking game notes on paper since the 80's, I think), but I can live with it.

With the high praise of A2, I'm tempted to play A2 first, but regardless, I think I'll start with A1, playing through the trilogy in order. Heh, I make it sound so easy. From what I've gathered, these games are huge. It's going to take quite some time to go through them all. So, I better return to the land of Avernum. Time's a-waisting.

Without further ado... Chaaaarrge!! (Run away! Run away!) :)
Apprentice
Member # 13112
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

Remember to close doors behind you since it's possible in A2 to have someone accidently die that gave you a quest.
Heh, this happened to me already. In the very beginning of A2, when the "furries" attack the fort you're in, they managed to kill the quartermaster. I don't think I had left the door open (either one), but somehow he was nowhere to be found after the battle. I concluded that he must have met his fate at the hands of the attackers. Therefore, I cannot complete the quest he gives, to search for the arrows and whatnot, as I cannot return the quest.

Oh well, no matter. I can start over (once I'm done with A1), it's only 15 minutes of lost time. I just hope he stays alive then. BTW, can the captain of the fort be killed in the assault? That would surely complicate things if it is so.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #19
She has a decent amount of health, so Dikiyoba has never had her die in the attack.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #20
I have... along with about half the fort one time. Talk about bad luck.

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
In Last Hope's Light RP - The end is near...
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by WarHamster:

when the "furries" attack the fort you're in
Did this take anyone else to a scary visual place?

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #22
Until you brought it up, no. Now please make it stop.

*shakes head, desperately trying to clear images*

:(

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
In Last Hope's Light RP - The end is near...
Apprentice
Member # 13112
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Did this take anyone else to a scary visual place?
Sorry, I don't get the refrence. Note that English is not my first language.

The reason I called them that, was 'cause I just couldn't remember what the cat-men where called (more specifically, how to spell their race's name), so I used another name, which I though was okay and innocent. Apparently it was not. Hopefully, I didn't make a terrible goof. Well, at least I didn't call them "pussies". :P
Apprentice
Member # 13037
Profile #24
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_fandom

And yeah, the furries are nephilim, nephils for short.

Pages