Exurnum

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Exurnum
Apprentice
Member # 12221
Profile #0
I know of "face" changes such as graphics and spell choice, as well as the way conversations worked that were made as Avernum was remade from Exile, but what were some deeper differences between the series (quests, specific battles, locations, etc.) :confused:
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #1
-Advancing skill levels require more skill points with each progressing level.
-Avernum 3 had nights, unlike Exile 3.
-Avernum series has many more quests, which are placed in a convenient "current quests" window.
-The Avernum series lacks a bestiary, as well as a scry monster spell.
-Missle weapons deal more damage, especially in A3
-In A2, there is a secluded dungeon (South of Fort Draco)with a few gremlins and a giant...in E2 that dungeon had a naga.
-In A3 Rentar-Ihrno is defeated by altering some lasers, but in E3 you merely had to reach the control panel.
-"Ritual of Sanctification" is an ability instead of a spell in the Avernum series.
-The gold limit in the Exile series was higher.
-An experienced player can't simply say a word, he or she must have a set stuff done flag. For example, in E1 a player could merely say "Icarus", but in Avernum you had to have joined the Scimitar first.

I'll let the others finish.

--------------------
A Bile Crux
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #2
In Exile..people lie on the ground, floating..while in Avernum they stand on the ground..

[ Tuesday, December 18, 2007 18:12: Message edited by: Azuma ]

--------------------
Humans fight to enter insanity.
You ain't evil until you hear this!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
Jeff's statement on the matter. And for Avernum 2. And 3.

Lost Bahssikava is a big difference between Exile 1 and Avernum 1. The Golem Factory is a big difference in E3/A3.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #4
There are no changes to the sequence of events that defeat Rentar in A3, apart from a few trivialities. You still had to vist each corner in both games.

--------------------
The one and only.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #5
In Exile, combat spells can target empty spaces as well as NPCs, which made invisible enemies much easier to deal with; plus it has two great generic damage spells that I really miss: Wound (L2 priest), and Shockwave (L7 mage). I especially miss Shockwave; when combined with Protection (another L7 mage spell), no Doomguard could last long against my party. :D

[ Thursday, December 20, 2007 15:11: Message edited by: The Mystic ]

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #6
There's also the party size. In Exile, you can have six party members. In Avernum, only four. Avernum also has a fraction of the number of available spells in Exile, but somewhat makes up for it by having three levels in each spell.

[ Friday, December 21, 2007 05:03: Message edited by: Celtic Minstrel ]
Warrior
Member # 6096
Profile Homepage #7
In Exile, treasures dropped by monsters are more random. I miss that feature in Avernum because it made each game a bit more unique.

[ Friday, December 21, 2007 11:25: Message edited by: *Milu* ]