insufficient arrows on laptop keyboard

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: insufficient arrows on laptop keyboard
Apprentice
Member # 11080
Profile #0
Hi, i'm sitting at Avernum 1 and like to walk by using the keyboard-arrows, but my laptop has only 4 buttons: "up", "down", "left", "right", so is there any solution to this? It would be great, when the characters would actually walk straight left when i press "left" but they don't, they walk queer ... you know what i mean? When i'm standing beside a door i can't walk straight in, sometimes i can't walk in at all. Regards, Claudio

[ Thursday, October 11, 2007 16:51: Message edited by: claudio ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #1
Usually movement is done with the numeric keypad. On a laptop, this will probably involve the use of a fn key together with other keys on the right half of the keyboard.

You can also click near the lead character and they will move towards the pointer.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
Usually arrows move you in the cardinal directions by the map, which looks diagonal on the screen but actually works better most of the time. You can use the mouse for 8-directional movement or invest in a full keyboard.

—Alorael, who is a little curious about door problems. It sounds like maybe your keyboard somehow moves you NE-SE-SW-NW, which would make navigation difficult.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 11080
Profile #3
quote:
It sounds like maybe your keyboard somehow moves you NE-SE-SW-NW, which would make navigation difficult.
Exactly, that's it! I would like to navigate North-East-South-West, as it is in Nethergate (i have this one installed too, and i can walk straght in that game).

quote:
Usually arrows move you in the cardinal directions by the map, which looks diagonal on the screen but actually works better most of the time. You can use the mouse for 8-directional movement or invest in a full keyboard.
As i said, in Nethergate you move indeed in the directions of the map. But in Avernum 1 you don't, you move in the absolute directions, which is unpleasant (is it a bug? I thought all games are basing on the same engine, so why are the directions differently mapped?).

I have a laptop, so i can't use another keyboard, and i don't like to use the mouse, since Avernum is a game designed for keyboard, that is one of its great features.

Regards, Claudio

[ Friday, October 12, 2007 15:24: Message edited by: claudio ]
Apprentice
Member # 11080
Profile #4
Hello?
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #5
I really have no idea what's wrong. It works for me (although I don't usually use the arrow keys anyway). I suggest you try the "numpad" or the click method.
(By "numpad" I mean using the fn key with the appropriate keys or whatever. Don't you have a fn key? It's usually labelled in a different colour eg blue.)

You could also try redownloading the game and see if this fixes the problem.

Also, if none of the above works, it might be helpful if you told us what system you are using - Windows or Mac, machine type, etc.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #6
Okay, something that works better, in my opinion, is just using the Num Lock key. When that's on, you'll be able to use part of your keyboard as if it were the number pad. If it's at all like my iBook, the numbers will translate as such:

7=7 8=8 9=9
u=4 i=5 o=6
j=1 k=2 l=3

Of course, then you have to remember to toggle Num Lock off when you want to do something other than move... 'cause otherwise it ignores any non-number-pad input.

Does that make sense?

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Apprentice
Member # 11080
Profile #7
The "numpad-method" does not work properly. When i press "7" the character moves, but on pressing "4" it does not move at all, instead, the "use"-window pops up ... Moreover, I've reinstalled Avernum 1 and it did not solve the problem. I've installed some other Games:

Avernum 1: no correct navigation
Avernum 2: no correct navigation
Avernum 3: correct navigation[1]
Avernum 4: not tried
Blades of Avernum: correct navigation[1]
Avernum 5: not tried
Nethergate: correct navigation[1]

[1] the character moves according to directions of the isometric underground

Im using Windows XP. So there is no solution for this problem? I love Avernum for beeing not "point-n-click"-like, so id like to use the keyboard for navigation.

Cheers, Claudio

[ Saturday, October 13, 2007 10:04: Message edited by: claudio ]
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #8
Can't you plug in a mouse to it?
There are laptops in which you can do that...

--------------------
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
I have an addiction to Spiderweb games.
I like this image
Iffy= Infernal Flamming Muffin. The y is added to make a word.
Apprentice
Member # 11080
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Iffy says Hell is overrated:
Can't you plug in a mouse to it?
There are laptops in which you can do that...

In my 1st post i wrote this:
quote:
Hi, i'm sitting at Avernum 1 and like to walk by using the keyboard-arrows ...
In my 2nd post i wrote this:
quote:
... and i don't like to use the mouse, since Avernum is a game designed for keyboard, that is one of its great features.
In my 3rd post i wrote this:
quote:
I love Avernum for beeing not "point-n-click"-like, so id like to use the keyboard for navigation.
Do i have to repeat it a 4th time? Regards, Claudio

[ Saturday, October 13, 2007 12:11: Message edited by: claudio ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #10
Is there no key on your keyboard marked fn? What kind of computer are you using? As in the model, not the OS.
Apprentice
Member # 11080
Profile #11
The "Fn"-Key "4"/"left" is on the normal key "u", which i need to open the "use"-dialog. But even when i would forget about the "use-dialog: the navigation via Fn-controls does not work properly either.

I think it is simply a matter of keymapping, where Avernum 1 & 2 has a different mapping than 3, 4, 5. So maybe the programmers can fix this in a newer version?

Regards, Claudio

[ Sunday, October 14, 2007 09:01: Message edited by: claudio ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by claudio:

The "Fn"-Key "4"/"left" is on the normal key "u", which i need to open the "use"-dialog. But even when i would forget about the "use-dialog: the navigation via Fn-controls does not work properly either.
You did try it at least, didn't you? Pressing Fn-u is not the same as pressing just u - it's a modifier key like Shift.
quote:
Originally written by claudio:

I think it is simply a matter of keymapping, where Avernum 1 & 2 has a different mapping than 3, 4, 5. So maybe the programmers can fix this in a newer version?

A new version of Avernum is unlikely. You could try e-mailing him though. Check the website (spidweb.com) for the address.

I definitely can't help you any more than I have so far (which apparently is not at all :( ).

You could also try posting this in the Tech Support forum. I'm not sure whether it is more likely to be seen there, but it might be worth a try.

And as I've said twice already, it might help to specify the model of your laptop.

[ Sunday, October 14, 2007 10:49: Message edited by: Celtic Minstrel ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #13
If all else fails, I guess you could invest in a USB numeric keypad.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #14
The separate keypad doesn't always work with all the games. Still for a few dollars you can try.
Apprentice
Member # 11080
Profile #15
Thanks Celtic Ministrel. I have a noname Laptop.
I will try to contact the author, good idea.
Regards, Claudio
Shock Trooper
Member # 10374
Profile #16
I'm not sure Avernum is game desined for keyboard.So why do you have to push it.Simply use the mouse(you will save everyone a lots of time).

--------------------
If you listen to LakiRa@ all will go well!
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #17
Just for the record, LakiRa@, the game is designed for the keyboard. The numeric keypad is used to move around on the map, the numbers 1 to 4 (not on the numpad) select that character, and every button has a keyboard equivalent (eg press 'm' to cast a mage spell). I'm pretty sure you can play the game without ever using the mouse. Even if I'm wrong, you don't have to use the mouse very often.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #18
Using the mouse in A4 is fine, but using the mouse to move in A1-3 is quite annoying. The game works much better with a full keyboard.

—Alorael, who has always and still recommends getting a full USB keyboard with your laptop. It's much easier to type, you get convenient function keys, the numeric keypad is nice, and it just takes a moment to unplug and go. Does it show that his laptop spends a lot of time as a desktop?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 10374
Profile #19
A4 is desinged for mouse and I didn't know about rest so I guesst that all were.

How could you with keyboard order party to go to long distances without clicking on them.

I played A1-3 with mouse to and even if you have to hold it in front of character its much more anoying to use keyboard.

[ Wednesday, October 17, 2007 03:30: Message edited by: LakiRa@ ]

--------------------
If you listen to LakiRa@ all will go well!
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #20
I've always played the Avernum games primarily with a keyboard. Arrows to move, keyboard/number row for attacks, spells, getting items, etc. I find the mouse clunky to deal with in avernum, the keys are easy to memorize and once they are it's very easy to navigate. This was for A 1-3, A4 was a different beast I found myself using the mouse more, I'd prefer to use the keyboard however.

--------------------
http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/join.asp?idr=412684821
alexkaltsas.com
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #21
I prefer to use both the keyboard and the mouse. I use the keyboard mainly for casting spells, talking to people, and looking at objects. I use the mouse mostly for movement, and to click on the directions if there's something I want to look at, talk to, or target that's not quite in the window.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by The Mystic:

use the mouse *...* to click on the directions if there's something I want to look at, talk to, or target that's not quite in the window.
Yes, this is (annoyingly) one of the few things that does not have a keyboard shortcut.