Game Difficulty

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Game Difficulty
Apprentice
Member # 8843
Profile #0
Ok, so I have a couple peeves about Avernum, don't get me wrong though, it's an awsome game.

What ever happened to its difficulty? Sure it has the settings that go all the way up to "Torment", but even that's not enough. An example of this is a character around lvl 6 doing (on average) 100 damage points in A3 to the alien slime. I remember in Exile 3, my level 36 fighter rarely hit above 60 dp (not counting assasination) on creatures that were much lower than him, even with some really decked out gear.

I made sure when I did my tests, all Avernum games were up to date, but it still seemed like "Torment" wasn't painfull enough (I'm a masochist)! In Exile 3 it took me almost 8 hours to battle through the Tower of Magi, countless char. editor spams and lots of dead mega demons. Even the Alien Slime took a little bit of time to chop into itty-bitty peices.

It's becasue of this that I have refrained from buying the full fledged Avernum versions, it became a bit monotonus when one hits the higher levels. I sneeze on a demon and it suddenly takes 271 dp, flips me the bird and hauls ass outta there! I want a difficulty setting that is "Diabolical", it's not fun enough it I'm not tearing chunks out of my face!

Please help this pathetic old sot!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
Damage in Avernum 3 is calculated differently than in the other Avernum games. Those high damages are balanced out by what they can do to you. You will find later on that this makes you need more health just to survive one blow.

If you want something similar, but with better balance try Avernum 1 and 2 or Nethergate: Resurrection.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #2
You could always go without using weapons, spells, or magic items to make it more painful. :P

Dikiyoba.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #3
The tranformation from E3 into A3 generally meant not only more health for monsters, but also more damage dealt. Also, melee tends in the Avernum engines to do much more damage than magic will do to a single target.

If you want harder combat but the same engine, try the upper-level Blades of Avernum scenarios. Canopy, Bahssikava, and Exodus among others are known for being challenging (and if I forgot a scenario, I'm sorry; I haven't played most of the newer ones).

But it sounds like you already have Blades of Exile. I know there are fun and challenging scenarios for it, so why not play those?

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

You could always go without using weapons, spells, or magic items to make it more painful. :P
Along these lines, several forum-goers have tried arbitrary limitations on themselves to make the games more challenging, exactly as Diki described. So, while she's joking, she's kind of not.

Calphrexo's (er, Rakshasi's?) suggestion of some of the harder BoA scenarios (or BoE scenarios) is also a good one.

[ Wednesday, May 30, 2007 19:10: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 8843
Profile #5
quote:
You could always go without using weapons, spells, or magic items to make it more painful.  

Dikiyoba.
True true, though I'm not that much of a masochist. I just wish A3 was a little more rounded, I don't like being able to kill a boss in two or three hits with normal weapons.

I agree that I could always play BoA senarios that are hella hard...I guess it just something about fighting in E3 that is just so heart pounding. Daemon lords and Devine Thud's are very amusing. I've always found that less tactics and resorece conservation were needed in the Avernum games, besides I miss all the spells, and casting "Kill" on chickens.

I think a mod should be made to incorperate the Exile engine into Avernum.

Then again...I am just a plain whiner.
Apprentice
Member # 8804
Profile #6
The high damage in A3 is a double-edged sword... Sure, I took out the Alien Slime before it even got a chance to call for mini-slime assistance, but I've also been completely obliterated by Dark Wyrms and Alien Beasts doing over 100 damage per hit... My two magi have about 250 health, and it's not nearly as much as I'd like.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Brafisra:

I think a mod should be made to incorperate the Exile engine into Avernum.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that called Exile?

Anyway, didn't Alorael play through A3 with a singleton with only a stick and pants?

[ Thursday, May 31, 2007 11:17: Message edited by: radix malorum est cupiditas ]

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
Wasn't me. I've never even finished a game with a fully functional singleton, and I find torment quite hard enough for me.

—Alorael, who recommends the two earlier Avernums. A3 has inflated damage and a cap that both just don't quite feel right. A1 and A2 keep everything down at reasonable levels.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #9
I've never won an entire game as a singleton either, but I've come fairly close to defeating Grah-Hoth.

I've never tried torment in any game, so I can't comment on what it's like. However, I have played A1 all the way through with both Cursed at Birth and Completely Inept character traits on all my PCs.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
BANNED
Member # 6762
Profile #10
If you wanna cry in your sleep and wet your bed with nightmares: try the final fight of A3 without attacing for 30 rounds, with no weapon armour or anythign at all, then try to finish it with 2hp each player only with using sticks. that might make you embrace torment normal, or it might be so easy you think im a retard, i don't care about either one really :P

--------------------
Don't be a noob, PLAY RUNESCAPE

-SO i can pwn you-add me
or if your smart
-Save yourself and let them suffer
Apprentice
Member # 7246
Profile Homepage #11
I have just finished A2 as a singleton with normal difficulty. Although it was a bit tricky at the start, it became easier as I went along. I did get killed more often as usual but although I could not get enough Vahnatai Lore to be able to read some tomes for level 3 spells, Angierach, the Empire Portal and Garzahd were actually rather easy.

Perhaps I should try a singleton with torment.

--------------------
My Avernum Walkthroughs
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by D Pliss:

If you wanna cry in your sleep and wet your bed with nightmares: try the final fight of A3 without attacing for 30 rounds, with no weapon armour or anythign at all, then try to finish it with 2hp each player only with using sticks.
Maybe I'll try that when I actually register it.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
BANNED
Member # 6762
Profile #13
Yay im glad ppl arent calling me noobie casue doing that was a 5 minute fight for me :(
but ya, you should try it, its very interesting and almost as amusing as me getting the fire cape on runescape. :pwnage in there:

--------------------

-SO i can pwn you-add me
or if your smart
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #14
*Sigh*

A standard RuneScape nut. Nalyd feels pity for your inability to find better games.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #15
quote:

Yay im glad ppl arent calling me noobie casue doing that was a 5 minute fight for me :(
I don't call anyone anything, other than their names. Name-calling is rather infantile.
quote:
Originally written by Necro-Master:

A standard RuneScape nut. Nalyd feels pity for your inability to find better games.
To each his own. I've never played Runescape, but I know for a fact that some of us here still play games for the Atari 2600, 8-bit NES, and Apple IIe.

--------------------

BANNED
Member # 6762
Profile #16
runescape can top all games, and to that person who hasnt tried it before......you've wasted all of your until now not playing it.....PLAY RUNESCAPE HANDS down TOTAL BEST advise EVER on these boards

-keep in mind that runescape is better than wow by a long shot...and uses java :cool:

--------------------

-SO i can pwn you-add me
or if your smart
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #17
Erm, D Pliss? I'd just like to enlighten you to a small part of the CoC you're frequently violating.
quote:
The Code of Conduct:
Advertising or any form of commercial solicitation.
Just saying.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #18
Nalyd has played RuneScape. He was level 50-something, and a member. Then he realized that he hated it.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
BANNED
Member # 6762
Profile #19
i'm 68 smithing and thats my worst skill, he should play again, and srry forgot about that advertising thing.......

--------------------

-SO i can pwn you-add me
or if your smart
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #20
quote:

you've wasted all of your until now not playing it
I'll take your word for it, and add it to my ever-growing list of things to do. I'm not as big an RPG gamer as I once was, so I might never get to it.

--------------------