A3: Fury Crossbow help

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A3: Fury Crossbow help
Apprentice
Member # 8804
Profile #0
Right. Here it goes...

I know you have to ask Judith about the location of the Pit of the Wyrm, and I know you have to ask the Sick Boy in Shayder about Judith to find out this information. However, whenever I give the Sick Boy some coins, is says "He doesn't seem to have forgotten your past behavior"... I figure I must have told him to shove off and saved afterwards, and now I'm not sure if I can get the crossbow. Help?

-Mal
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
There are two sick people in Shaydar that ask for money. You want the one by the hospital.
Apprentice
Member # 8804
Profile #2
I've grilled the stuffing out of Spud, and he hasn't told me anything. And, like I said, the Sick Boy seems to be angry with me. I'm 90% sure he's the one who gives information about Judith. Will time fix my trouble?
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #3
I don't know but the fury crossbow isn't required to beat the game. You can beat the game without it.

You could, however, just find the guy and talk to him.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

My brother tried to type something here. I just erased it.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #4
Why do you insist on replying to questions you don't have the answer to with information that is obvious and irrelevant?
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #5
Post counts and false ego. Same as always.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Apprentice
Member # 8804
Profile #6
It's not so much the crossbow I want as the challenge of the Pit...
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #7
Looks like you may be out of luck, since it is Sick Boy who gives you the tip about Judith when you give him some coins. I doubt that it's affected by time.

Dikiyoba.

Edit: Typo.

[ Sunday, May 27, 2007 12:23: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Yama:

Why do you insist on replying to questions you don't have the answer to with information that is obvious and irrelevant?
What's gotten into you lately? Is there some compulsive need on your part to be condescending to anyone with a member number higher than 7000?

Anyway, you could try to edit the flag. Only problem is that I don't know of a comprehensive SDF list for A3, which means that you'd basically be guessing. And with a 1 out of 2,250,000 chance to set the right flag to the correct value, odds are pretty low you'd hit the right one, considering that there's also a 1 in 3 chance you'd hit the wrong one and completely mess up your game. So go ahead and try it, but backup your save file first.

EDIT: Oops, wrong direction.

[ Thursday, May 31, 2007 17:50: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Apprentice
Member # 8804
Profile #9
Editing the flag is something I've thought of... But really, I'm not looking forward to the tedium, the backups, and potentially sending my saves to hell.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #10
I know this is a feature of the Exile 3 editor, but I'm not so sure about Avernum 3.

The Exile 3 editor had an option to make hidden towns explorable, regardless of what in-game actions you had taken. If the Avernum 3 editor has the option, that should work

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

quote:

What's gotten into you lately? Is there some compulsive need on your part to be condescending to anyone with a member number higher than 7000?

I resent the implication. I'm an equal opportunity curmudgeon, as I think I've proved on more than one occasion. I mean, what do I need to do, change my PDN to Wowbagger?

For the record, I have no problem with Muffin. Others have attacked him over his personality, his story, etc. I haven't. But I find these kind of posts both ridiculous and annoying. They deserve to be discouraged. The observation I made is entirely factual.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #12
quote:

But I find these kind of posts both ridiculous and annoying. They deserve to be discouraged. The observation I made is entirely factual.
No, it's not, and they do not need to be discouraged. While you may find those posts annoying, someone else might find them useful and/or worthwhile. I mean, can it hurt to try what Muffin suggested and see if it gets him anywhere?

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #13
In Exile you can skip talking to people if you know the right clue word to give to the next person, while in Avernum you have to rely on going in order because it uses flags to trigger dialog options.

Unless you know the correct flag then your choices are to skip the quest or start over from the last saved game before you insulted Sick Boy.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #14
Nioca, read the posts. Muffin suggested talking to the guy (which the original poster had clearly already done) and pointed out that the quest he's asking about isn't necessary to finish the game.

Please explain to me how either of those statements are less than completely obvious. And please explain to me how exactly they answer Maledictis's question.

If you want to accuse me of being unfriendly, go ahead; but don't accuse me of saying untrue things.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #15
quote:

Nioca, read the posts. Muffin suggested talking to the guy (which the original poster had clearly already done) and pointed out that the quest he's asking about isn't necessary to finish the game.
That's where you're going off the mark. While the latter is blatantly obvious, the former... well, just look at his post and the post before that.

quote:
Originally written by Maledictis (emphasis added):

I've grilled the stuffing out of Spud, and he hasn't told me anything. And, like I said, the Sick Boy seems to be angry with me. I'm 90% sure he's the one who GIVES INFORMATION ABOUT JUDITH. Will time fix my trouble?
quote:
Originally written by Infernal Flamming Muffin (emphasis added):

I don't know but the fury crossbow isn't required to beat the game. You can beat the game without it.

You could, however, JUST FIND THE GUY AND TALK TO HIM.

You can quite clearly see that the person Muffin was referring to was Judith, not Sick Boy.

quote:
don't accuse me of saying untrue things.
Well, sadly, you are.

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #16
Judith is a guy?

I mean, I know the dragons change genders in Avernum, but that seems like a bit much. :P

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #17
I thought Slarty's response was appropriate. IFM's post contributed nothing at all new or useful to the discussion. Furthermore, his post appeared careless and ignorant of contents of the thread upon which he was commenting.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #18
Talking to Judith doesn't help if you need to talk to the Sick Boy before talking to Judith in order to set a flag so that a dialogue option will be available. Nioca's right that it doesn't hurt anything in the game, but it's a waste of time.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #19
Slarty is right, I am wrong. I don't know everything about A3, I was just making some suggestions (I do want to help).

Have you done different choice of dialogue?
Have you tried every other "Sick Boy" just in case you were wrong on who's who? You can never be too carful (except me, I am too paranoid).

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #20
Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Apprentice
Member # 8406
Profile #21
you could always just make some towns mad. that'd be a decent challenge.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #22
I don't see how that could help.
Check the title, in case you are confused.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 8406
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Infernal Flamming Muffin:

I don't see how that could help.
Check the title, in case you are confused.

since it's been established that he can't really do anything about it, he might as well figure something else out.
Apprentice
Member # 8804
Profile #24
Yes, slaughtering Gale could be a challenge comparable to the Pit of the Wyrm. But it's not what you might call a "legitimate" challenge.

Pages