what is the best A game

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: what is the best A game
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #0
Which is the best Avernum game?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 33 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=blVufBCUAeSS"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=blVufBCUAeSS"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
A2. Your poll happens to use moderately biased language and is missing BoA and A4, but my answer is the same whether or not you include anything past the trilogy.

—Alorael, who wavers now and then but at the moment thinks A2 is his favorite Spiderweb game, period. Nethergate is very close, though.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 7246
Profile Homepage #2
This board is called "The Avernum Trilogy",so BoA and Avernum 4 do not belong here. In any case I agree with Alorael.

--------------------
My Avernum Walkthroughs
Warrior
Member # 7000
Profile Homepage #3
IMAGE(http://tyranicus.dreamhosters.com/G3003.bmp)

--------------------
"It's sort of like Star Wars. Except Jeff didn't make Erika shoot first in Avernum 3, nor did he introduce annoying computer-animated aliens." —Arancaytar
The Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #4
Avernum 1. The originals are always best.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Dr. Strange:

Avernum 1. The originals are always best.
Well, since Avernum I isn't original anyway... :P

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #6
Averum 3 had the biggest world, the best dungeons, and the most interesting plot. I don't understand why people prefer Avernum 2. Is it because it introduced the vahnatai? No, most people always complain about the vahnatai, and how they are always used as a deus ex machina.

--------------------
You lose.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #7
It was the first in it's series, and that's close enough. Nethergate's still better, though.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #8
Let Dikiyoba think abo... Avernum 2.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #9
Avernum 2 out of the given choices.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #10
Alright, now you're all just picking Avernum 2 out of peer pressure. This is a mispole.

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #11
No, A2 is pretty much the best of the three (even when you include A4, actually).

If BoA had been included (as it should have been), I would've been hard-pressed to decide... but A2 would probably still win.

EDIT: Oh, and about the vahnatai. They were still novel in A2 (for those of us who hadn't played Exile), and they actually added quite a bit of flavor to the game. Personally, they were a great deal of what hooked me on the series.

[ Thursday, March 01, 2007 16:21: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #12
Avernum 3 is better. Like previously said, its bigger. There is also surface graphics (the previous two Avernums just had the basics) and a better variety of monsters. Avernum 4 sucks, its graphics are poor and the game is slow.

--------------------
WWJD?
Warrior
Member # 7000
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

I don't understand why people prefer Avernum 2.
Two words: Dark Waters

--------------------
"It's sort of like Star Wars. Except Jeff didn't make Erika shoot first in Avernum 3, nor did he introduce annoying computer-animated aliens." —Arancaytar
The Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #14
What is so good about Dark Waters? Hydras and undead? Crystal soul tombs and Vahnatai sleeping chambers? Rapids? Do you just really like boats? Please explain the fascination to me.

I enjoyed Avernum 2 as well, but mostly because of the bizarre Empire forts. I loved those. But even those were surpassed by Avernum 3's dungeons. You just can't beat the Filth Factory. Rentar is a genius.

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
Dark Waters is all about atmosphere. Mechanically it's nothing special, but the flavor is great. It was even more effective in E2 when losing all your food meant something. Not much, given easy access to Manna, but something.

A3 is huge, but the vast majority of the towns are far too generic. The world itself is all pretty generic. It has fun dungeons and some good parts, but as a whole it just doesn't really work for me. Also, while seeing the exact effects of your items is nice, the inflated damage that leaves you doing 199 with a stick just didn't work for me.

—Alorael, who doesn't think this is a mispoll. People should know enough by now to vote before reading the thread. Everyone's already biased towards A2 because it's so clearly the favorite here, of course, but bias on a neutral subject shouldn't do much unless there's actually some basis.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #16
What is this 'flavor' you speak of? What makes it different from any other part of the game?

Of course Avernum 3 was full of generic towns, it took place in the Empire! It made perfect sense, after all, if you tried to by anything more than 'Weaponsmith' you ran the risk of being thrown into Avernum. I think the blandness added as much to the atmosphere, if not more, than losing your food (which was much better in Nethergate than either Avernum or Exile anyway).

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #17
Dark Waters was a challenge in exploring while being cut off from help. Like the ZKR scenario in BoA you have to plan for the unknown since you can't go back for something you forgot. Of course after the first time you try to figure out how to maximize the loot without leaving behind something you will need to do everything.

Now Exile 2 made you sell or take everything with you. There was no place to leave equipment behind until after Dark Waters. It required a little different strategy.
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #18
A2! I very much agree with Ephesos, Tyran, and Alorael about the atmosphere of it, particularly in the Dark Waters area. That, and locations like the Empire Archives and Halls of Chaos had a wonderful feeling of mystery. There were always interesting new surprises, like meeting null bugs for the first time, or stepping into the Archives and seeing the odd sight of the ice water floor.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #19
ET, when you say things like "the blandness added to the atmosphere", it becomes fairly obvious that you're trolling.

Besides, we all know that you only like A3 best because you've got the hots for <s>Calista</s>Rentar.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #20
I voted for A3. I enjoyed the mixture of the cave world and the surface world. I enjoyed the vastness of the world and crossing waters. Some of those legendary quests were genuinely chilling, challenging, and exciting for me to fulfill. Pit of the Wyrm, etc. Very memorable stuff.

The lasers, however, quickly outwore their welcome. I find the Vahnatai irritating, cheesy, and distracting from the fantasy world feeling. That may explain some of my lack of enthusiasm for the much-vaunted A2.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

Dark Waters was a challenge in exploring while being cut off from help.
Oh, I get it now. This is one of those "it's better because it's more difficult" deals. Figures. I suppose if you prefer things like that to epic battles, cool dungeons, and mystery plot then Avernum 2 is the way to go.

--------------------
You lose.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #22
Why E- I mean, A2, of course.
A plot based in hope and desperation, the novelty of going off into the unknown to save the the world, the chance to trade insults with everyone's favorite witch, and listen to her peers grumble about her behind her back...

But what I think I like the most is that A2 is a story about a bunch of nobodies who take a risk and end up being heroes.
You just can't beat a fulfilling underdog story.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin is tired of playing the role of Juliet, and would like to get off of the balcony now, thank you.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #23
I voted A2, but it was very nearly a vote for A3. My reasons are similar to those already expressed by people who also voted A2. The atmosphere was just amazing. It was the only Avernum game I felt claustrophobic in. Which, really, is the whole point.

quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

I suppose if you prefer things like that to epic battles, cool dungeons, and mystery plot then Avernum 2 is the way to go.
Epic battles? Like the Zigguraut in A2 - the biggest battle in ANY Avernum game, and probably the biggest fight Jeff's coded?

Cool Dungeons? Like the Halls of Choas? Or the Zigguraut again? Or any of the Empire forts where the Crystal souls were? Avernum didn't have any generic towns that I can think of, whereas maybe 75% of Valorim was packed with guys called "Merry" and cross-shaped houses.

Mystery Plot? Like the whole idea of the Crystal Souls in A2? A3 might have been an okay "whodunnit"-kinda-thing, but A2 had the whole "mystery" thing down much better. And the fact you didn't win the war single-handedly was much more realistic than 4 people entirely destoying a Vahnatai war machine.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #24
Hum... thank you for all of your suggestions.
Are you sure ?
All right i will by A2.

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .

Pages