Avernum 2 Singleton[Almost]

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Avernum 2 Singleton[Almost]
Apprentice
Member # 466
Profile #0
So I've been playing through as a two character party, and am getting my butt handed to me on a nice avernite platter.

I remember in previous games (A3, Nethergate etc.) a singleton's power grew exponentially. Slow at first, but then continually faster until the end of the game you had a /really/ good character.

The logic of this seems simple: More party == more ways to divide xp.

Did A2 NOT divide xp amongst party members? Or am I just not doing enough of the side quests?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
You gain levels slower as you go up in levels. Your two characters won't be twice as high in level as a party of four, but they will be quite a few levels higher.

—Alorael, who thinks it's worth pointing out that singletons are considered challenging. Doubletons are still challenging.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #2
I also depends upon how you design your party. Spellcasters take a lot of time to develope, but they can kill multiple targets in a single spell.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #3
I've never played A2 as a singleton. A1, yes. But no others. Maybe I should try it.

[ Thursday, January 11, 2007 18:55: Message edited by: The Mystic ]

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #4
I've always thought the singleton party isn't really a 'challenge set up.' In the beginning it can be rough, but before long you'll be so many level ahead of your enemies that nobody can land a hit on you in melee. Paralysis and webs is the only real problem.

In Exile it was a real challenge.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #5
I agree, especially if you're referring to E1. That one can be really tough, even with a full party.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #6
Yeah when you are alone a singleton flee in the depths of avernum or exile low level monsters are the devil himself compared to you.

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #7
Mystic: I was really talking about E3 and BoE, where it's a challenge but certainly not impossible to pull off. I can't say I've ever played Exile 1, though out of the Avernum's I think A1 was the hardest in the early goings and thus the roughest on singletons.

Mars: I have absolutely no idea what you just said. Oh, and congrats on your canning.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by The Mystic:

I agree, especially if you're referring to E1. That one can be really tough, even with a full party.
Exile I was incredibly easy; spiders didn't shoot webs. Now in Exile 2, there were many occasions where I had to quit the program because I was continually getting webbed...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #9
And don't forget about the chitrachs.

Really, what is all this talk about singletons being challenging? They require different tactics than a full party, and I suppose the first half hour could be challenging in theory, but...

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3605
Profile Homepage #10
For me, the challenge of wading through endless 'party' references in dialog is challenge enough.

These invisible adventurers are taking most of the credit for my singletons work, and i just cant stand it.

--------------------
"But The Damage is Irreversible"
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
You are a one-man party.

You even have tortilla chips.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #12
The problem with the A1 singleton is the level cap. Before you finish a major quest you are at the maximum level of 40. Between that and the limited number of knowledge brews, you have to plan out your character.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by National Champion UF Gators-- Again:

Mystic: I was really talking about E3 and BoE, where it's a challenge but certainly not impossible to pull off.

Oh.

I've never tried either one as a singleton (and probably never will), so I'll take your word for it.
quote:
Originally written by Lt. Sullust:

Exile I was incredibly easy; spiders didn't shoot webs.
That may be true, but my playing style makes it rather tough, as I prefer first to train everyone in my party as both priests and mages.

Edit: Web-shooting spiders were never a problem for me, though.

[ Tuesday, January 16, 2007 12:51: Message edited by: The Mystic ]

--------------------