Do you play music when playing Avernum?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Do you play music when playing Avernum?
Apprentice
Member # 7616
Profile #0
Or is it just me?

The games ahve no music, and as a console RPG player, I am always used to music, especially for important battles. So I find some MIDIs to use a boss fight themes when I play the games.

For example, for bosses or major fights in Avernum 1 I used Final Fantasy VI's boss battle theme. For Grah Hoth I used Lufia II's boss theme. for the Royal Spire I used Final Fantasy IV's boss theme. I liked the added excitement the songs added to the fights.

So far my "regular boss theme" for Avernum 2 is the Sinstral fight theme for Lufia 2. I dunno what else I will use yet. I almost used an Overworld theme, but I decided against it.

--------------------
Currently Playing
Dragon Quest VI
Avernum 2
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #1
I've done that before, except I use MP3 songs. I stopped, because Windows Media Player started having some fun with me.

Nothing says 'fight to the death' like an old, twangy country song. :rolleyes:

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers Meet
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #2
I usually have music playing while I play Spiderweb games. (Although I usually have music playing just in general.)

Dikiyoba listens to the Lord of the Rings soundtracks most of the time.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #3
Yeah, I'll listen to pretty much anything while playing, unless I'm feeling like I need total immersion... then it's either instrumental stuff or nothing.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
I listen to very nearly nothing but instrumental music, and I listen to it whenever I'm alone at my computer, so yes, I do listen to music while playing Avernum. That said, I've also played without music and it doesn't in any way change the experience.

—Alorael, who now vaguely remembers that Realmz allowed one to assign one's own music to various situations as well as using the (terrible) defaults. That may be a false memory but it's a good idea.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Burning Shiv:

—Alorael, who now vaguely remembers that Realmz allowed one to assign one's own music to various situations as well as using the (terrible) defaults. That may be a false memory but it's a good idea.
I had a game like that. It was an RTS, which allowed you to reassign either the default tracks or your own music to certain categories (Peaceful, Combat, etc.). I preferred the in-game music though.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #6
I play music, but it's generally whatever's currently playing in iTunes, nothing specific.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
Are you thinking of Total Annihilation, Nioca? The game does let you choose music, but it already has a good selection. Realmz's music quality was about the same as the rest of its quality, which doesn't say much for the composer.

—Alorael, who also just listens to whatever is on iTunes, and his iTunes just plays randomly through everything. On the other hand, there are occasional moments that demand specific music. Dies Irae was made for the GIFTS.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #8
Dies Irae does indeed suit the GIFTS.
I want a recording of that one spider song from A1.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #9
I just put on all music on my computer and whatever plays, plays. It's just background noise but I feel it does add a bit more enjoyment to the games.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Come the Rivers:

Are you thinking of Total Annihilation, Nioca? The game does let you choose music, but it already has a good selection.
Wow. You recognized it just from the small description I gave?

At any rate, Total Annihilation does have excellent music. I actually wanted to have some of the music in a format that could be used outside of the game, but couldn't find any sort of soundtrack, or files on the game CD. I know I would play those tracks in both Avernum and Geneforge. :cool:

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #11
You could always record it by having Polderbit Sound Recorder on in the background.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #12
I prefer silence while playing games. (Or doing anything else for that matter.) I turn on my PC speakers only if I want to listen to something online, or if I want to hear what sounds a game has. I might have radio in the background if a game is particularly mindless or a radio program particularly good, but it's a distraction, rather than enhancement of playing experience.

[ Friday, November 03, 2006 18:45: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #13
I have a rather odd taste in music.

My preference when doing anything on the computer is Spike Jones and His City Slickers, which parodied the big bands of the '40s and '50s.

Another favorite is a vinyl album: "Dr. Fritz Guckenheimer and his Saurkraut Band: Music for Non-Thinkers." The entire recording staff, including the band, while highly inebriated (the bandleader himself consumed 4 liters of lager), recorded this record inside a shop full of expensive glassware.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #14
You might also enjoy Tom Lehrer.

"So if Sunday you're free, why don't you come with me, and we'll poison the pigeons in the park. And maybe we'll do in a squirrel or two as we poison the pigeons in the park. We'll watch them all die with laughter and merriment, except for the ones we take home to experiment..."

-S- is for Super Stupid Songs

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items • [URL=http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=000279#000006] The Lonely Celt
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by S is for Synergy:

You might also enjoy Tom Lehrer.

"So if Sunday you're free, why don't you come with me, and we'll poison the pigeons in the park. And maybe we'll do in a squirrel or two as we poison the pigeons in the park. We'll watch them all die with laughter and merriment, except for the ones we take home to experiment..."

-S- is for Super Stupid Songs

"When they see us coming, the birdies all try and hide, but they still go for peanuts when coated with cyanide." God I love that song.

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #16
The secret of success in mathematics? Plagiarize. Let no one else's work evade your eyes.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #17
"Oh we'll all go together when we go..."

Oh yeah, I must recommend Farshid Etniko as far as instrumental atmosphere music goes. It's interesting stuff.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 7657
Profile Homepage #18
:P Play music on media player but NOT slow paced or WILLY WONKA :eek: !!!

--------------------
"I'm a sittin' on the toilet, all the live-long day:".....
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #19
Willy Wonka music (I expect that you mean from the remake) sounds like it'd be pretty good for something like A3's Filth Factory.

quote:
Originally written by SoylentGreen:

:P Play music on media player but NOT slow paced or WILLY WONKA :eek: !!!
This needs to be preserved for posterity.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #20
I've found that some slower-paced music can actually be quite good for the Avernum outdoors and small caves, though it varies from song to song and where one is in the plot.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin should be flying in from San Diego sometime tonight, if he actually sticks to his itinerary.
Meaning in all likelihood that he'll be arriving from Atlanta sometime late tomorrow morning.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #21
Reading those old posts about Tom Lehrer songs made me think of National Brotherhood Week, which is one of his songs that is not dated at all, and probably never will be.

I let iTunes do its thing as I play Avernum. My most vivid musical connection is listening to "Achilles' Last Stand" and "In My Time of Dying" over and over again while going through the land of the dead in Nethergate. That was freaking amazing.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #22
Lenar, you should keep a log of the Silent Assassin's exploits. I find them highly amusing, and I'm sure many others do as well.

[ Saturday, November 11, 2006 19:59: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #23
Nioca: We both try to, or at least the funnier ones; but have only done so for ourselves. I may put an archive in The Library, since you've brought that up.

I myself also tend to keep the player on random.
And since Kel brought up his most vivid memory of random music...
The instant I killed Vahkohs for the for the first (final) time in DwtD, my player brought up the song "Dragostea Din Tei" by O-Zone.
Those familiar with the title should appreciate the sick irony.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin is late, of course.
I think I shall start by turning my cell phone off and unplugging the land lines to see how he attempts to get me to pick him up from the airport...

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Lenar Labs:

The instant I killed Vahkohs for the for the first (final) time in DwtD, my player brought up the song "Dragostea Din Tei" by O-Zone.
Those familiar with the title should appreciate the sick irony.

It's funnier when you remember that O-Zone is from Romania, the home of vampires.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!

Pages