The Unexpectable Unconformities

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: The Unexpectable Unconformities
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #0
Well, I wonder if veterans here, who with their eyes blindfolded can split an egg of hydra on the lizard's head in two with their waveblade can find some Unconformities or Inconsistencies, which can be found through A-trilogy and E-trilogy?

For Example: A1. Triad: X, Solberg, Linda.
E1. Triad: X, Solberg, Lara. Linda is merely an assistant in Tower of Magi. Anyway both in E and A she goes mad after the defeating of Adze-Haakai, hearing "voices in the head".
A2,E2. Mothrax cave: Linda is quite ok, no signs of madness, more to say, she's at work again.
Lucky chance of becoming sane? Or someone can cure madness? BTW - a good theme for a quest.

[ Monday, March 27, 2006 01:57: Message edited by: Meeshka ]

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
Linda is supposed to have reformed and learned from her errors. Wait until A3/E3 to see how that turns out.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #2
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

... Wait until A3/E3 to see how that turns out.
I think I've missed something in A3. What should I wait for then? I can't help remembering Linda as a part of A3. Anyway, madness is not a thing, which can be thought over. It's not a misbehavior, it's a brain desease.

P.S. Can youimagine a mad human, rethinking his madness?

Edit: Did anybody find something else unexplained or reexplained?

[ Monday, March 27, 2006 02:56: Message edited by: Meeshka ]

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #3
I think the biggest inconsistencies of the Exile/Avernum Trilogies have always been the dragons' gender.

Linda always seemed crazy to Dikiyoba in A2. She's still obsessed with summoning demons, at least.

Edit: Typo.

[ Monday, March 27, 2006 05:33: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

I think the biggest inconsistencies of the Exile/Avernum Trilogies have always been the dragons' gender.

And that's the Gospel Truth. At last I started to think that dragons are sort of androgynes. Or else I've heard of some reptiles, which can transfer their gender while one - male or female - dissappears in a tribe. So they become reproductive again.

quote:

Linda always seemed crazy to Dikiyoba in A2. She's still obsessed with summoning demons, at least.

Seems strange to hear that she was put into work again by the Triad Mages. Anyway, what was her role in A3 I can't remember? Something with the portal? Right?

And another uncomformity: 1. We know that when the first expedition was sent to Avernum, there was neither light, nor fauna. Maybe just tiny fish in underground rivers.
2. The glimmering fungus altogether with plants and some animals was brought there by the Mages of Triad and Erika Redmark. So they say.
3. How then Nephilim (mammals btw) and Slithzerikai survived there before people came?
There is no choice but to suppose that human mages made a bit too much merit of their achievments in Avernum, didn't they?

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
More inconsistencies? Bojar/Jordan in A3 is one of the more inexplicable ones. Lost Bahssikava and a few vahnatai insertions in A1 that weren't in E1 are the other major difference between Exile and Avernum. The Tower of Shifting Floors lost its conveyor belts and gained lasers in Avernum.

From what I remember, Linda is very much one of the members of the Triad in E1. She's also smug about it.

In A3 she's still a powerful mage, although no longer officially in the Triad. On the other hand, she seems stable, and she presumably did good work at some point. And then of course she summons demons, but what can you do?

Many plants and animals were brought or adapted by the Triad Mages. The glowing fungus was already present in the caves, I believe, and I think the giant lizards are also native, as are cave fish. The nephilim are no more native to the caves than humans, and they were banished at the same time, so they benefitted from the Triad Mages' work. The slithzerikai are yet another group of exiles living in Exile/Avernum, but according to Avernum they are from lower caves. They probably lived by farming fungus, fishing, and hunting lizards.

—Alorael, who knows about fish switching genders but not lizards. On the other hand, whiptail lizards are all female and reproduce only by parthenogenesis.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #6
I remember something about lizards changing gender in Jurassic Park. Now, whether this is true or not, who knows?

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #7
A crocodile's gender is determined by the temperature the egg is kept at as it develops. It's not the same thing as changing genders as an adult, but it is fascinating.

Dikiyoba can't remember a thing about Jurassic Park except that trying to recreate dinosaurs is a very bad idea.

[ Monday, March 27, 2006 10:25: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
In Jurassic Park, it was amphibians, not lizards (reptiles). I have no idea if any reptiles can.

The Triad's membership changes relatively rapidly (check my notes on my site for a few mentions of changes), and the ET isn't necessarily supposed to be consistent with the AT; for one, Jeff changed the dates, so that the settling of Avernum and the war against Grah-Hoth happened more recently compared with A1 than the settling of Exile and their war against Grah-Hoth compared with E1.

In A1, Erika says, "These passages wouldn't even be lit if I hadn't created the fungi that emit light, and I don't even get credit!" However, Solberg says, "The one thing she [Erika] didn't make was the glowing fungus on the cave ceilings. It's amazing, magical stuff, and was already here when the Empire found these caves." I'm inclined to agree with Solberg on this one.

Sliths were in the caves before humans and nephils, and they definitely ate fish — they still eat fish in most of the barbarian settlements in Avernum, I believe. That's part of the reason why they always live near water, the other part being that they need water to reproduce, apparently.

There's even a reference in A4 to A3's and E3's two different golem factories, but I forget what it was.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #9
Some surface dweller in a hotel (big pool of water, can't remember the name) said that they had heard stories about the A3/E3 heroes, but some stories said that the golem factory was full of conveyer belts and some said that it was full of lasers.

I actually groaned when I read that.

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Warrior
Member # 6632
Profile #10
quote:
There's even a reference in A4 to A3's and E3's two different golem factories, but I forget what it was.
Maria, in "The fissure post", an inn SW of the castle.
----------------
-Where are you from?
I'm from the city of Gale, in Valorim. It's a big beautiful city. And it was saved by adventurers once! I hope I can go back home soon.

-What did the adventurers save it from?
An invasion of golems! Horrible, stone creatures that shot fire and ice! And the adventurers invaded their foul tower and destroyed them!

I've read lots of books about it!

-Books?
Yes! There are lots of them! Though they all say different things. It's very strange. Some books say that the adventurers had to find their way through a maze of conveyor belts, swarming with monsters.

Others say the adventurers had to dodge around fiery, magical beams that turned on and off and burned them.

I don't know if either is true. All I know is that an adventurer's life must be very exciting!
----------------

quote:
I actually groaned when I read that.
I thought it was great, as an almost-out-of-character joke.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #11
The whole glowing fungus thing always confused me. Was it the Vahnatai or Erika. I think it was the Vahnatai, and Erika, being egotistical, claimed that discovery.

--------------------
They've escaped from Area 51! They've... oh, nevermind, it's just Vahnatai.
Apprentice
Member # 6943
Profile #12
In A3 Linda summoned a powerful demon that(I think)got out of control and made more demons on day 160 in the Tower of Magi.

--------------------
Reality is overrated.

Visit the official Amana site with this URL. www.freewebs.com/Richia4444
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #13
The glowing fungus was the Vahnatai.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

The whole glowing fungus thing always confused me. Was it the Vahnatai or Erika. I think it was the Vahnatai, and Erika, being egotistical, claimed that discovery.
The games don't actually say for sure, as far as I know (and I looked). I'm inclined to believe that it was the vahnatai (or some other magical race pre-dating the humans in the caves), but we can't know.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #15
2Drakefyre
quote:
The glowing fungus was the Vahnatai.
As for the fungus, it was not the vahnatai. Remember in A2 people were amazed by the glowing walls without fungus in vahnatai lands. Only if fungus was ver 1.0 of glowing walls.
I prefer to think that there is anoher mighty race. Still that's my humble opinion.

2Alorael:
quote:
From what I remember, Linda is very much one of the members of the Triad in E1.
I've played Exile rather long ago, but the names of the Triad were written down by me for some reasons. I don't remember what for. Lara was the third Triad mage. May be I misspelledit that day.
Shame for me, I can't remember who is Bojar/Jordan in A3?

By the way, I don't think that difference between Exile and Avernum is an uncomformity at all. Otherwise it is an endless list.

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Meeshka:

Shame for me, I can't remember who is Bojar/Jordan in A3?
The mad mage on the south coast of Valorim who worked with slimes and bandits. I believe you got something like lvl 3 Bolt of Fire from his lair.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #17
A pitiful substitute for his key role in E3. With slime pools ceasing to be terrain vulnerable only to Fireball, Jordan Bojar lost all his game significance. :rolleyes:

Edit: Except for letting you find out the location of the slime pit. But the Fireball thing is gone.

[ Tuesday, March 28, 2006 10:39: Message edited by: crazy kitten ]

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

The mad mage on the south coast of Valorim who worked with slimes and bandits. I believe you got something like lvl 3 Bolt of Fire from his lair.
Now I do remember. I just forgot his name, but not the meaning. That's like in a bad detective story, when you first suspect someone like Bojar to be the main bad guy. And then you find out that he is not more then a crazy mage.

Edit: there was something strange with the quote UBB

[ Tuesday, March 28, 2006 19:08: Message edited by: Meeshka ]

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai