The nephilim language

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The nephilim language
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #50
I kind of like Nephilese, actually. :P

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #51
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

By the way, does that display on most people's computers? I had to download a particular font to get Unicode Linear B to show up on my computer.
? ? ? and also ? is all that shows for me.

But I haven't got an extensive font collection on this computer...

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #52
Three things and a question:

1) I don't see any of the sings. it is just a blank spot, like this: .

2) I don't care how most language-names are formed. I'll think of my own when I have enough words, so I can partly bas the languages name on these words. particularly their sounds.

3) For now Nephilian will stay. By the way, maybe "Nephilian" sounds incorrect in English, in Dutch it sounds good. And also, what about italian? isn't that a language? And also, Who says the adjective of Nphil is really Nephil? maybe in English it is, but most probably not in Nephilian.

and the question: Kelandon, how did you call the Slith language, as you seem to know better how to name a language?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #53
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, Nephil translators & co.:

1) I don't see any of the sings. it is just a blank spot, like this: .
I'm not surprised.

Thuryl, do you perchance have OS 10.4?

quote:
2) I don't care how most language-names are formed. I'll think of my own when I have enough words, so I can partly bas the languages name on these words. particularly their sounds.
You're thinking of this in the wrong way. When have English-speakers ever cared what native speakers of a language called their language? Germans certainly don't call their language "German" or anything resembling that; we get our term for them from Latin, not German. For that matter, even when we do take our name for a language directly from that language (as for French), we feel free to drop letters or modify sounds as necessary to get a more English-sounding word.

It doesn't matter what nephils call their language. It matters what humans call their language, which ought to work by English language-naming conventions.

quote:
3) For now Nephilian will stay. By the way, maybe "Nephilian" sounds incorrect in English, in Dutch it sounds good.
You're writing the scenario in English, I hope.

quote:
And also, what about italian? isn't that a language?
The reason for Italian being "Italian" is that countries with the Latinate suffix -ia, which in this case has been shortened to -y in the actual country designation but was originally -ia, simply take an -n suffix to get their adjective. Notice: Italy, Italian; Russia, Russian; India, Indian. But one wouldn't start with, say, Finland, and then make the adjective "Finlandian."

"Nephilian" makes it sound as though they come from Nephilia, which is highly inadvisable as a country designation, as it sounds like a fondness for saying "No." :P

quote:
And also, Who says the adjective of Nphil is really Nephil? maybe in English it is, but most probably not in Nephilian.
Again, not relevant.

quote:
and the question: Kelandon, how did you call the Slith language, as you seem to know better how to name a language?
I've been calling it "the slith language." When I'm speaking about each epoch, I say, "Classical Slith," "Modern Slith," or "Barbaric Slith."

[ Friday, January 13, 2006 11:02: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #54
quote:

Thuryl, do you perchance have OS 10.4?
Nope. 10.3.9.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #55
Nephilian does not sound right for the name of Nephil speak as it sounds like a Latin based language. I don't know, I just don't see the Nephil language of having Latin roots. It has too much European flow.

Perhaps you should invent a word for the preposition 'of' that sounds Nephil like and make that in some order. A suggestion could be Nephirar where the -rar suffix means of. The literal translation would be 'of Nephilim'. That's what I've been using in Chill Factor at least, my scenario that centers around Nephilim.

[ Friday, January 13, 2006 21:22: Message edited by: *i ]

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #56
You know, Stareye, that is not such a bad idea. I already made that suffic, sorry, postposition, so that would be a possibility, although I'm not sure evrybody can pronounce it.

Of the Nephilim = Nephil - merh - as

In which - merh - is the first suffix, making the word plural, and - as is the postpostion, making Nephil genitive.

For pronounciation: ph is f, h is g and s is like sh in shop.

Again, I'm afraid m ost people wouldn't want to or even take the trouble to pronounce it correctly. nephilian will stay for now until I find something that is pronouncable and seems logical. You can expect that it wouldn't be "Nephil." If one wants, call it Nephil language, I don't really care actually.

kelandon, I don't quite understand the relation between "Nephilia" and the fondness of saying "no." Could you explain that again please?

And yes, the scenario is in english, with Nephilian texts in Nephil cities and temples (Actually Senarti temples and cities, but as they are overgrown nephilim...).

stareye: That scenario, care to tell me what it is about in broad lines, so I know for sure that the scenario I'm planning at the moment won't cover the same things? You can send me a PM.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #57
quote:

Eh? Why? Why not simply write letters with their most natural equivalents? Well, unless the language differentiates between two kinds of "g" sounds and doesn't have an "s" sound at all.

quote:
kelandon, I don't quite understand the relation between "Nephilia" and the fondness of saying "no." Could you explain that again please?
It was a bad joke. The suffix "-philia" (from the Greek) is often used in English for a love of something, and "ne" is one of the two Latin words for "no." I was just pointing out that "Nephilia" is probably not a good word.

Also it kind of sounds like another word that is probably not good to bring to mind.

[ Saturday, January 14, 2006 00:44: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #58
quote:

quote:

Eh? Why? Why not simply write letters with their most natural equivalents?

There is also a normal f, but that one is used to make a hissing sound. So it is actually a long f. then I also needed a normal f, and made a ph of it. I was wondering if ph is also a normal f in English? otherwise I mispronounce nephil, and that would be a little stupid, don't you think?\

The "h" is a "g," mainly because it is like that in Semitic languages (if that is how you spell it). Same goes for s.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #59
quote:

"Nephilian" makes it sound as though they come from Nephilia, which is highly inadvisable as a country designation, as it sounds like a fondness for saying "No." :P

Well, as long as it doesn't sound like a fondness for Nephilim... :P

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #60
What's wrong with that?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #61
It's not so bad if it's just a fondness, but when it's a fondness... :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #62
yes, well, if that's what he meant... No comment.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #63
I can proudly say that I'm a bibliophile without getting strange looks in polite company.

—Alorael, who likes books in a good, wholesome way that gives TM no grounds for commenting in italics.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #64
Yeah, Alorael, but the difference is that a book isn't living. Append that suffix to an animate root and see what happens, you zoophile.

--------------------

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #65
If you're hydrophilic, you may be water-soluble. If you're hydrophobic, you may be a lipid.

Dikiyoba.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #66
Corpses are, by definition, not living. Necrophiles are nonetheless generally not open about their preferences.

—Alorael, who concedes that he can't think of any living prefixes that play nicely with -philia.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #67
Sars Harvi, Thralni.
Fellow developers of language have come to input their meager knolwedge.
Depending upon where you are with the development of the "Nephilian" language, you may want to consider the following:
What does the word "Nephil" mean? Is it simply a tranliteration (or an attempted transliteration, in light or your previous posts) into the common tongue, or a word in the common tongue used to describe this particular race? If it is a transliteration, why would they call themselves nephilim; what does it mean in their language, and what significance would it have in their culture?
As has been observed by many in this string, language does not develop in a vaccum: it is influenced by the experiences of those who use it. Take for example, the modern usage of "gay", or Hamlet's exclamation of "get thee to a nunnery!" Different periods of time and regional colloquialisms will influence the evolution of a language. Changes may or may not occur.
Consider the evolution of usage from "ducky" in the 1920s to the modern "cool".
We speak, of course, from a communicative standpoint, not technical.
Our greatest advice is that you keep the civilization of the Old Tongue in mind as you write the Old Tongue.
Dor tefu Nosk (may the Three Factors (Fate, Fortune, and Time) be with you), Thralni.
-Lord Grimm, speaking for himself and the Silent Assassin

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #68
I take it you, too, Lenar Labs, have interest in languages?

.eja amaja eka.

Dikiyoba.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #69
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

If you're hydrophobic, you may be a lipid.
You may also be rabid.

In other news, "nephilim" may in fact be a term taken from an archaic word for something, as our term "German" descends from the Latin word for the cultural group, or likewise the term "Apache" descends from, er, French, I believe. I think our name for the Dutch comes from a corruption of what they call themselves, and if I guess correrctly, so does our term for the Russians and Poles. Indeed, the term "Indian" as applied to Native Americans shows that a word can be recycled to apply to an entirely different set of people than it originally did.

The word "nephilim" — since it does not have a standard English plural — must be a foreign word of some kind, but whether it is a nephil word taken into the human tongue or a human word from another language (or an archaic dialect — or even an old term being re-used) is up for grabs.

I personally am inclined to think that it is a human word from an archaic dialect, but that's just because the features seen in the word do not seem to match any phonetic system that we can deduce from nephil names. (This has the advantage, too, of more nearly matching the real etymology of the word.)

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #70
Nephillim doesn't match the preferred speech patterns of nephilim. Too many vowels, no F's, R's, or H's. The only M is at the end, and only in the plural form. Really, it's more likely that some confused Hebrew speaker blundered into Ermarian and caused years of linguistic nightmare.

—Alorael, who tried to figure out the etymology of Dutch. It seems to be an Anglicized version of a word with the same root as Deutsch, but despite a root meaning "people" and originally applying often to German people, German became the word of choice for Deutschland and Dutch got applied to the Netherlands. Then the Amish of Pennsylvania, who called themselves Deutsch, were mistaken for Dutch. Nephilim probably figure into that somewhere.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #71
I don't know know where your word of Dutch comes from, but it certainly sounds like "Deutsch." However, as all these languages actually came from "Diets" (pronounced Deets) and indeed, as Alorael said, meaning "people", it may also have come from there. By the way, Deutsch came directly from the name "Diets."

Nephilim has two of the letters Nephilim are inclined to use. The "F" and the "M", only is the "F" transformed into "PH." (Although I don't know of Americans pronounce PH as F). To me, Nephilim could be a ancient word of their tongue, albeit pronounced differently. The Avernites may have heard their speech and, when translating, just spoke it out as they heard it: "Nephilim." I guess the same as with the Slitherikai. I don't think that the word "Nephilim" on it's own could tell me a lot more then I know already about the language. Actually, it tells me less then any Nephil name I came across.

I heard somebody saying about the Nephilim not being able to say long words? Who the hell said that!? Ever heard my vat meow? he could have meowed for about 8 seconds non-stop, with such an intensity, such a loudness, that the whole family could go crazy. Now don't start telling me about the Nephilim, being descended from cats, that they can't say long words.

[ Saturday, January 21, 2006 00:36: Message edited by: Thralni, Nephil translators & co. ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #72
quote:
By the way, Deutsch came directly from the name "Diets."
Could you give me a link to where this comes from?

From what I know the root is gothic 'biuda' (engl: thiuda) and its adjective 'biutisc', meaning 'the people' and 'of the people'. The first letter is not a 'b', I don't have the correct equivalent on my keybord. The latinised version 'theotisc' was used in the middle ages to separate 'latin', the language of the clergy and the educated from 'theotisc', the language(s) of the people.

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #73
No, i can't. It comes from my teacher Dutch. Giving a link to hi would be a hell of a job, and I don't think he would like it.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #74
Nevermind, Wikipedia knows everything:
Diets

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version

Pages