Avernum question

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum question
Warrior
Member # 6218
Profile #0
Sorry this is my first post and hopefully this has not been asked too many times (i did look around but couldnt find any info so here goes).

I registered and played Exile 3 and absolutly loved it years ago and havnt heard much of it since.

The Avernum trilogy interests me greatly, what are the real differences between Avernum and Exile? and is there a pack where you can Avernum 1 2 and 3 togeather? and if so how much is the discount?

I cannot think of any other thing that i wasted so much time on that i have absolutly no regrets about doing. I would love to play the whole thing from start to finish in the newer format

Please, any comments would be greatly appreciated

[ Sunday, August 14, 2005 00:00: Message edited by: Espionage ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
quote:
Originally written by Espionage:

The Avernum trilogy interests me greatly, what are the real differences between Avernum and Exile?
Virtually identical plot (with the exception of a single side dungeon that's in Avernum 1 but absent from Exile 1), significantly different gameplay, fancy isometric graphics. Play one or two demos of the Avernum games and see how you like the engine.

quote:
and is there a pack where you can Avernum 1 2 and 3 togeather? and if so how much is the discount?
Just like the order form says, you can get the entire Avernum trilogy on CD for $55, saving yourself a total of $20 compared to buying all three games separately.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #2
Partly owing to the graphics, partly owing to the engine, the games have a very different feel. I bought both the Exile trilogy and the Avernum trilogy; and I still play both.

The challenges are different - in Avernum you are less likely to be swamped by summoned monsters, your weapon skills are somewhat more effective, and you are given more detailed in-game information so there is a reduction in wasted effort. On the other side, in Exile you do have advantages the monsters don't have, the area-effect spells have no Avernum replacements, and there are some useful ways to use end-combat which Avernum doesn't allow. It's perfectly possible to enjoy both games in completely different ways.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Warrior
Member # 6218
Profile #3
i already registered exile 3, does that mean that i get a discount? becuase i thought that you got a discount if you already purchased the exile version, or does that only count if you are buying the game separetly
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #4
If you registered Exile 3 you get a discount on Avernum 3 (tell Jeff the name and address you registered from the first time). But you don't get a double discount, so if you purchase the whole trilogy you won't get both the trilogy discount and the Exile discount.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
By the way, consider trying some of Spiderweb Software's other games, such as Nethergate, Blades of Exile and Blades of Avernum. Nethergate is very different from anything else SW has made, with a historical setting and a quirky statistic system that you'll either love or hate. Blades of Exile and Blades of Avernum are campaign editors based on the Exile and Avernum engines; there are many excellent third-party scenarios available for Blades of Exile, and a few already available for Blades of Avernum.

Better still, you can get Nethergate, Blades of Exile or both for only $15 each with the purchase of any other game. And if you've bought Blades of Exile, you can get a $10 discount on Blades of Avernum.

[ Sunday, August 14, 2005 01:14: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 6218
Profile #6
thanks all, i just decided that i am gonna get the Avernum box set, i am so exited.

If i order today does anyone know how long it takes to get to Australia.........

I urgently need something to do. Unfortunately 3 weeks ago i got siatica, which is a spinal nerve injury. So i cant stand or sit for longer then about 20 seconds without being in intense pain. So i spend all day lying on my back doing nothing. I thought that Avernum would hopefully cheer me up.

Hopefully i get better soon, but then i might have to start going to Uni again :( i would rather just stay in bed and play Avernum
Warrior
Member # 6218
Profile #7
also will Spiderweb bring out Avernum 1 and 2 in OS X? becuase 3 works in OS X

(directed at MAC users)
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #8
i doubt it, espionage. they are known not to care much about their games once they are out. i would very much appreciate it, however.

--------------------
OH MY GOD IT'S THE FUNKY ****!!!
Warrior
Member # 6218
Profile #9
it might sound a bit crazy but i just purchased the box set of Avernum without playing the demo.......... thats how much confidence i have in Spiderweb

I played the demos of exile 1 and 2 and finished the whole of exile 3 several times.

I just downloaded Avernum 3 and the gameplay and spell system look awesome, i cant wait till the package comes!!!!!!!!!!

[ Sunday, August 14, 2005 02:16: Message edited by: Espionage ]
Warrior
Member # 6218
Profile #10
I didnt want to make a new thread, because i am just a noob on this forum but i just wanted to know what people's general preferences are.

in the polls who wins

avernum vs exile
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #11
Personally, I prefer Exile because of the better atmosphere, graphics, and gameplay.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

Personally, I prefer Exile because of the better atmosphere, graphics, and gameplay.
But this is a question that neither side will admit to defeat in. They both have very good points, and, as said earlier, you can play both without feeling that they're identical.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Warrior
Member # 6218
Profile #13
perhaps changing the topic of the thread again, but do you have any advice on character generation, i played exile alot so i have som idea, but the "character types" area is a bit confusing, anything that i should stay away from?

[ Sunday, August 14, 2005 03:06: Message edited by: Espionage ]
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #14
quote:

perhaps changing the topic of the thread again, but do you have any advice on character generation, i played exile alot so i have som idea, but the "character types" area is a bit confusing, anything that i should stay away from?
Well, personally, I find that a "Soldier", a "Cleric", a "Mage", and a "Mage/Cleric/Archer" is the best combination.

But that's just me.

All of their types are custom (They aren't actually those above types, just have insane training in them), as I normally give each character at least 1 level in Priest skill, so they can heal themselves.

But it's just how you like to play. You may want a singleton, or whatever. Most peopel who've polayed exile complain about the loss of two PC slots, but as I always played with 4 chars anyway...

Good Luck!

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
--------------------
My Scenarios:
--------------------
--------------------
Warrior
Member # 6218
Profile #15
Thanks, i was thinking about something along those lines, but i wasnt sure if it was necessary to have 2 fighters......

In exile i used to have
1 warrior that eventually got priest spells
2 ditto
3 ditto but also disarm traps
4 mage/priest
5 mage/priest
6 mage/priest

also i wanted to go Beserker because he sounds cool

i wasnt a big fan of archers in exile, are they any good in Avernum?
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #16
Personally I find that even with the huge XP penalty, Divinely touched is a really helpful character trait.

Anyway! Good luck! I just won A1, know A3 off by heart, and am playing A2, so email me if you need any help.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
--------------------
My Scenarios:
--------------------
--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
I'm one of the Avernum fans, for the record.

My party is, in ratios similar to my Exile parties, a pair of fighters and a pair of casters, all custom. Both casters are, like yours, mages and priests. The fighters get the outdoorsy skill and tool use. I've played around with priest spell, but I've always thought that the skill points are best used elsewhere.

Anyone who casts spells, especially mages, benefits enormously from the Natural Mage trait. Warriors get good use out of Elite Warrior and Fast on Feet, but the former is significantly less useful to Slith characters and probably not worth the penalty. Other than that, you can play around and discover your own preferences.

—Alorael, who is more worried about the switch to Intel than whether or not the older Avernums, Nethergate, and the Exiles (particularly BoE) will be Carbonized. Since the new computers won't support Classic, those games may be completely inaccessible to anyone who buys a Mac in a few years. That leaves the best of the Spiderweb oeuvre to PCs only, which would be a shame.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #18
I would go with four custom character types. I like to have two fighters, at least one of which is a Slith and uses pole weapons, a mage, and a priest. The spellcasters will eventually get a few levels of each other's skills, and one should be a nephil who can pick locks/disarm traps.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #19
When I first played the games, I had a party setup like Drakey's. One Slith fighter, one Nephil Rogue/Fighter, and two spellcasters, both of which train a little bit in the opposite skill.

Now though, I use a duo of just one fighter/rogue (usually Slith) and a human caster. The slith is strong enough to bear most attacks well, and the human is there for pure role-playing reasons - I HAVE to have at least one human.

I have also completed Avernum 1 with a singleton. It wasn't easy - lots of spells were inaccesible, and having a lack of Rune Reading was always a problem. But, after getting through those problems, and liberally hasting, blessing and shielding for most fights, it isn't so bad. Playing through again, I'm around level 30 and just about to kill Sss-Thsss.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #20
Yes, my favorite party is always a fighter-priest singleton.

--------------------
====
====
Warrior
Member # 6218
Profile #21
singleton??? As in you play the whole game with only one character.
I also noticed that in Avernum that people ask if you want them to join you, is this worthwhile??
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #22
quote:

singleton??? As in you play the whole game with only one character.
I also noticed that in Avernum that people ask if you want them to join you, is this worthwhile??

Sometimes. Personally, I don't use them, because they aren't *mine*. They're what Jeff thought would be helpful. But, I suppose that if you needed help, you could pick them up, and then drop them off in one of the Character Storage Rooms.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #23
NPCs are generally worthwhile only if they're at a significantly higher level than you are when you pick them up, and then only in Avernum 3. Avernum 1 and 2 have quirks in their experience system that can cause your other characters' experience gains to suffer if you pick up a high-level NPC.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #24
I personally use two fighters, a thief fighter, and a mage/priest combined in one. Mage is only useful in battle for hasting, and it seems like a waste of a warrior to make an entire character devoted to magery. I'll also use a divinely touched singleton from time to time.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?

Pages