Avernum question

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum question
Warrior
Member # 6218
Profile #25
what exactly is divined touch, i read the disrciption and it was a bit ambigeous
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #26
Divinely Touched increases your Strength, Dexterity and Intelligence by 1 point at level 1 plus 1 point every 8th level after that. It also gives you three special abilities, usable once per day. The most significant of these abilities is Divine Aid, which is a kind of super haste and bless (doubles your AP and greatly reduces the damage you take from enemy attacks).

[ Monday, August 15, 2005 16:55: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #27
For the countering view on Divinely Touched, I avoid it because its experience penalty is too harsh for the benefits it gives. You could buy those skill boosts yourself with the experience you'll lose by having the trait.

—Alorael, who has heard people claim that it is valuable for singletons. Since he doesn't play with a single character, he can't vouch for it or rant against it.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #28
Divinely touched is okay for singletons, but sometimes it just doesn't pay to have it.

For example, I always give my singleton Natural Mage, because I want him to have the best armour, whilst still being able to cast Dispell Barrier and Arcane Shield. That only leaves one other ability to choose.

Now, if you have a slith, you could avoid giving them toughness, but otherwise I tend to pick that or Strong Will. Strong Will is pretty much invaluable, since paralysis and sleep will kill you. Fast on Feet tends not to be so good with a singleton, since most of the time I don't enter combat mode to fight. That way, slow spells don't make any difference. (Very handy if you're fighting a big group with one or two magi). Although by doing this, you're limiting the amount of spells you can cast...

The alternative is to dump Natural Mage, and take off armour before casting. Thus you could give Divinely Touched, or another one of the above.

At the end of the day, the type of singleton you're playing will eventually make your choice for you. Drakey's fighter-priest probably won't have toughness, since it's a Slith, and won't use Natural Mage. It might have Fast on Feet and Strong Will, say.

A fighter-mage on the other hand will want Natural Mage, so they can use Fireblasts and Arcane Shields (due to not having Divine Warrior), and might be able to avoid Strong Will depending on their intelligence. That means they might get Fast on Feet or Divinely Touched.

Finally, a straight fighter, or a fighter/thief, will definately want Strong Will, since intelligence won't be a concern for him. He might want Fast on Feet so that he can act sooner in combat, or may go for Divinely Touched. Alternatively, he might want to go for Nimble Fingers, so that he doesn't have to spend so many skill points on Tool Use.

Edit: Examples.

[ Tuesday, August 16, 2005 03:39: Message edited by: SupaNik ]

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #29
My fighters usually have Strong Will, but since the singleton has decent intelligence and priest spells, it has good magic effect resistance already. I like to go with Fast on Feet and Divinely Touched. Divine Aid is wonderful in providing that extra boost to kill a tough monster, and the Regeneration ability helps when I'm running low on SP.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 6218
Profile #30
i am confused, do most people play singleton??

i made a party and this is what i had

1 - warrior - natural warrior and good rep
2 - theif/archer/warrior - fast on feet, strong will
3 - mage - natural made, good education
4 - priest - divine touch

is that a sensible choice?
Lifecrafter
Member # 59
Profile #31
There's nothing wrong with your choice.
Good education and reputation aren't really worth the XP hit, IMHO.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Originally written by Espionage:

i am confused, do most people play singleton??

No, but the ones who do like to talk about it. :)

As for your skill selection, reputation is not very useful, because you can get it by doing quests. If you will be evolving your priest into priest/mage, consider giving him Natural Mage, instead of Divinely Touched. Other than that, I don't have anything to add.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #33
I like to give my fighters Strong Will to prevent adverse magical effects like paralysis, confusion, etc. from ruining them.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #34
I've gotten much more utility out of Divinely Touched on fighters. The skill bonuses help everyone, but fighters get a bit more. Divine Aid is much more useful to the stabbers and meat shields than the back row characters.

—Alorael, who also likes to keep his characters' experience penalties balanced. Having characters all over the board in levels can be troublesome.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00

Pages