Hintbooks...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Hintbooks...
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #0
Very simple questions: have you ever completed a game without the hintbook, have you ever overused it, and have you ever regretted using it?

Myself, I've played A2 & 3 with gratuitous use of the hintbook, and I'm just now getting through A2 again without the book (anyway, I think I lost it).

Poll Information
This poll contains 3 question(s). 20 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=uBEJGTsabalj"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=uBEJGTsabalj"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Erudite*
Member # 3042
Profile #1
I usually just use the hintbook the first time, and then play through the game without it the following times, except when getting through that room with pillars in order to get the Black Halberd. I use the hintbook then to know where to step (and where not to step).

I find that if I use the hintbook for part of a quest, it's difficult to stop using it, because I want to keep doing it perfectly. Therefore, I most often either use the hintbook for a whole quest, or I don't use it at all (or barely at all).

--------------------
Ex-member-#2475.
Post count = 406 + whatever it says below.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
If I am using a hintbook, I like to play through a section, then check a guide or hintbook to see what I missed and, if possible, go back and not miss it. The Avernum hintbooks happen to be very well laid out for that purpose: being able to see just what the quests are in a town, and usually who gives them to you, is exactly what I want.

I used to try very hard to avoid overusing walkthroughs the first time I played through a game, but now I no longer avoid it and I can't say it has negatively impacted my enjoyment.

—Alorael, who feels no hintbook remorse. This is either a moral defect or a sign of pragmatism. Either way, it bodes well for any spontaneous desire he may feel to break into politics.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 497
Profile #3
Well, since the point is to have fun, and I don't have much fun sitting there doing nothing, I don't mind using the hintbooks at all. I don't usually get stuck too badly (exceptions being things like the Tower of Zkal), so I tend to use them like Alorael and read through after I've finished an area, checking to see what I've missed.

Still, I've no compunctions about reading a walkthrough for an area before I've finished with it--for example, the Fading Tower or the Filth Factory, because you can't go back to get things you've missed.

--------------------
Evil comes in many forms. I am but one of them.
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #4
I never really found a need to buy a hintbook when I can just ask questions about whatever on SpidWeb and go to GameFaqs.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #5
Yea, that's the same as me. Although I would like to own one as having the actual thing is always nice. However, having to pay for the hintbook and for the shipping of it just isn't worth it.
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #6
If it were like $5 cheaper I might buy one.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Warrior
Member # 2796
Profile #7
Hi,
I like to use the "Readme" hints if they are availiable but in most cases I use the Forums web's search engine for some clues. Most of the scenarios don't have "hints" but are linear enough and "make" or "lead" you down the garden path. But in most cases I find "save it", "try it"
and if it's "wrong" then go back and "retry it".
BTW
I once finished a scenario that asked for a code to be E-mailed showing a code as proof that I finished the game. Sad, but I never heard back.
gcmaxxon

--------------------
quote:
" He loved maps, and in his hall there hung a large one of the
Country Round with all his favourite walks marked on it in red ink."
---The Hobbit
pg21

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
If the scenario in question was Quintessence, the reason you didn't hear back is that the Hall of Fame for that scenario is already full.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 2796
Profile #9
No it was'nt, but I believe it was "Undead Valley". Just don't remember. Anyway it does'nt matter, I only brought it up as an example. What I realy like is a map so that you get some idea on how big the scenario may be.
gcmaxxon

[ Sunday, July 31, 2005 20:23: Message edited by: gcmaxxon ]

--------------------
quote:
" He loved maps, and in his hall there hung a large one of the
Country Round with all his favourite walks marked on it in red ink."
---The Hobbit
pg21

Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #10
I never bought Spidweb hintbooks, because the games can be easily finished without them and any questions I might still have are answered on these forums.

As for BoE scenarios, I had to look up hints for most scenarios I've played. I guess the difficulty of puzzles in BoE scenarios is higher.

[ Sunday, July 31, 2005 22:42: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #11
I never get hintbooks, so I can't really answer, but if I did have one I would probably not use it a lot.

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
CSM RIFQ
Neopets Do join, it's fun. Do you know what is the answer to the greatest question ever? It's here.