Avernum Mage Poll! Who was craziest?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum Mage Poll! Who was craziest?
Warrior
Member # 3978
Profile #0
These questions are simply to ascertain what you thought of the various mages in Avernum.....and of course to ask who you thought was craziest of them all! (Rone? X? Erika? Linda? Mahdavi? Rentar-Ihrno? So many choices!)

Poll Information
This poll contains 10 question(s). 61 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=gYSPkbaEdTrN"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=gYSPkbaEdTrN"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)
Warrior
Member # 3978
Profile #1
I hope everyone enjoys my truly messed up poll :P I made it out of sheer boredom, please note it has nothing to do with my opinion of the game.
Warrior
Member # 4484
Profile #2
Nice poll, I really enjoy the questions ! :)

I think I'm in love with "X" ! A really great character, a lot of fun, and a usefull teacher. How sad he doesn't appears in other Avernum games...
Look likes you like him too, Solodrick, make a scenario about him !

--------------------
"Il est interdit de se battre sur le Champ du Massacre; dit-il avant de marquer une pause, le temps de reflechir a la logique de ses propos."

Discworld, The Colour of Magic
Warrior
Member # 3978
Profile #3
He appears in all the avernum games (other than BoA!) And dont worry, my upcoming scenario includes him ^.^
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
Solodric, that is reason that we should worry, not reason that we shouldn't.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #5
I said Rentar-Ihro for all of them.

It's true you know.....

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
I have a pair of thoughts. The first is that a large number of the mages on that list aren't candidates for the title of arch-incantatrix. -atrix is a feminine ending. I believe the males get an -ator, but arch-incantator doesn't sound quite right.

The only good candidates for gender change are the dragons. Sulfras has already had hers (his?), so it must be Motrax' turn.

—Alorael, who would also like to know how a mostly insignificant apprentice mage like Kelner ended up with the likes of Sulfras, Erika, and Rentar-Ihrno.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 3978
Profile #7
Whether Incantatrix is gender based depends on the setting....Avernum never was clear on that. Some settings Arch-incantatrix means the ultimate mage, other setting Arch-incantatrix means the greatest mage of a specific sect. Apparently, whichever one your familiar with had it for females *Shrug* either way I got my point across.

By the way everyone, please check by "Idea for Scenario" over in Blades of Avernum board, I really need some advice before I get too far into the scenario to rip apart my scripts.

[ Wednesday, February 02, 2005 14:02: Message edited by: Solodric ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
The suffix -trix is a Latin suffix. It is always feminine. The arch- prefix is the part that makes it mean "greatest."

The suffix -trix is much like the English suffix -tress, which is similarly always feminine.

I think the idea of the word "incantrix," which is not actually proper English, is to start with the word "enchanter," archaize to the original form "incantator" (which is the person who does the action of the verb "incantare," which is "to consecrate with charms"), and then feminize to incantrix.

[ Wednesday, February 02, 2005 15:29: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Warrior
Member # 3978
Profile #9
I'm aware of this. However, you have made the mistake of looking it up in english instead of mythology. You probably won't find working definitions for Mages, Magicians, Sorcerors, Chanellers, Gremlins, Imps, etc., in a dictionary either.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
Please do not confuse "mythology" with "goth websites".

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 5268
Profile #11
Of course, one could go with the much simpler "Arch-incantor" if one was looking for a masculine form. Back-formation leads to such wonderful oddities of speech.

My personal favourite is the Australian habit of saying orientated, or worse reorientated. Orient works just as well and is easier on the lips (and ears).
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #12
Main Entry: mage
Pronunciation: 'mAj
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin magus
: MAGUS

Main Entry: sor·cer·er
Pronunciation: 'sor-s&-r&r, 'sors-r&r
: a person who practices sorcery : WIZARD

Main Entry: chan·nel·er
Pronunciation: 'cha-n&l-&r
: a person who conveys thoughts or energy from a source believed to be outside the person's body or conscious mind; specifically : one who speaks for nonphysical beings or spirits

Main Entry: grem·lin
Pronunciation: 'grem-l&n
Etymology: origin unknown
: a cause of error or equipment malfunction (as in aircraft) conceived of as a small mischievous gnome

Main Entry: imp
Pronunciation: 'imp
Etymology: Middle English impe, from Old English impa, from impian to imp
1 obsolete : SHOOT, BUD; also : GRAFT
2 a : a small demon : FIEND b : a mischievous child : URCHIN

Incantatrix doesn't get a definition because it's just pseudolatin, but most sources seem to agree that it only applies to females.

—Alorael, who would like to thank Merriam-Webster for defining all kinds of useful words.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #13
My source, the Oxford English Dictionary, likewise has appropriate definitions for all of those but "channeller," which evidently has not yet been used often enough in the context of magic to convince the makers of the OED that it carries that definition.

Note that most of the good original fantasy writers were classicists, one way or another. Tolkien, before the Hobbit and LotR, was an expert on old Norse and Germanic mythology, including Beowulf and the like. Do not discount the influence of genuine classics in the development of fantasy.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
Tolkien was an Old English scholar and a linguist (yes, that's why he got away with manufacturing more languages than anyone should). He definitely got to dig into all the old mythologies. Other fantasy tends to fall into the same category of people working on rethinking mythology, modern or ancient, or the category of imitation.

—Alorael, who doesn't think all the imitators are bad by any means. It's just worth noting that new strains of fantasy are rare, and most don't spawn anywhere near the magnitude of imitations good and bad as Tolkien has.
Shock Trooper
Member # 60
Profile #15
I answered "X" to many of the questions... I think he was awesome! I mean, come on! Who wouldn't want an anvil-flinging guardian?! Now THAT'S what I call important research.

--------------------
"Insanity is okay, but stupidity is inexcusable." -Kenda Nicole Brand

Jacob say, "Man who smoke pot, choke on handle." -Jacob Doran
Warrior
Member # 5165
Profile #16
i gave "X" my vote in the sex-change thing... hehe

quote:
Tolkien, before the Hobbit and LotR, was an expert on old Norse and Germanic mythology, including Beowulf and the like.
My favourite one is Sir Gawain & the Green Knight... & also the stories of Thor & Odin.

--------------------
he who puts his head inside a dragon's orifice is likely to get a lot of...
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
X doesn't have a known gender! How can he change it?

—Alorael, who will make the new wild conjecture that X is actually a talking skull with a great deal of magical skill. He has all the robes and aura of mystery such to hide his inner irreverent and irritating self.
Warrior
Member # 3978
Profile #18
Yeah, "X" is the Xian skull, wearing Xian Slacks, the Xian Vest, using the Xian Plant for his main body and the Xian Rock as his lower abdomenin.

The robes must just be a little extra thing thrown in.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
Don't be silly. The Xian items were scattered all over Valorim and X was just fine. Those were obviously prototype new parts that didn't make the cut. The real Xian items under the robe are much more powerful.

—Alorael, who would be more interested in knowing if the real things are as quixotic as the Xian items available in A3. Judging by X him(her?)self, probably.
Warrior
Member # 5363
Profile Homepage #20
Who knows, maybe those "Real" Xian items are even more useless than the ones you get, unless its a Xian Anvil.

--------------------
Learn from others mistakes. Its safer
and more entertaining than learning on your own.
Warrior
Member # 3978
Profile #21
Yeah. he stands on the Xian Anvil to get extra height so he can command more attention. That or he's just a crazy-ass bastard with nothing better to do than make crappy items.

Actually, a couple of the items were semi-decent. The Xian Rock = always came back, and mass-produced rocks, so it meant infinite ammo back before we had Slings to do that for us > :)

The Xian Coins produced maybe 10 coins a day, which sucks of course, unless you rush and get them at the start of the game and keep them for the rest. In which case you might get 1000 coins for your trouble, by the end of the game ;)

the Xian Plant mass produced plants that sold for 20-30 coins apiece.

The Xian Skull made sure you stayed awake while playing A3 ;) I find that usefull

And if I remember correctly, the Vest/Pants were tradeoffs. Personally I think he tried to curse the items, and due to thier poor quality, they ended up kinda-sorta enchanted (Instead of when a person tries to enchant a poor items and it ends up cursed) And then he gave it to the adventureres because he didnt like them. They made him stop his research to teach them.

Bastards.
Shock Trooper
Member # 2775
Profile Homepage #22
My favorite mage was Nan in the port town N of Fort E, (Farport?) because she was the first mage outside of the Fort I stumbled across, and she gave me some early help in exchange for doing pest control at her old house. Also, she sells a scroll of dispel barrier, so you gain access to this spell very early relative to when you could actually learn it.

Certainly she isn't a very powerful mage, but she was the first one I thought of for the poll.

--------------------
"I can't give you brains," said the Wizard of Oz to the Scarecrow, "but I can give you a diploma." - L. Frank Baum
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #23
If I may say so myself, I think that I am very vital to the World of Exile/Avernum. I sell powerful spells, give out vital info, and make a wicked killer Toadstool creme pie ;) . I am the greatest Archmage alive! :cool:

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Pronounced Sol-Berg. Exile/Avernum's Greatest LIVING Archmage! I'm sure you've heard of me at some point.
Warrior
Member # 3978
Profile #24
Dont forget that you sell 5 levels of Mage Spells, more than any warrior needs, in A1, and Magery in another one.

By the way, are you the same Solberg from The Lyceum? (the one involved in the controversy)

Pages