A small Rebelion Poll

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A small Rebelion Poll
Warrior
Member # 415
Profile Homepage #0
I'm just starting this scenario, so it will be free of spoilers...and completly uninformed. Pretty much, what did you do, and why?
This poll has been moved to another forum.

--------------------
Big up your self!
Warrior
Member # 3905
Profile #1
You do know there is a way of not siding (sort of), making it a tie between the empire and the rebels (killing off both leaders)?
Warrior
Member # 415
Profile Homepage #2
...I did not know that. Me, I'm siding with the rebels. Im not gonna let the Man keep us down!!!

--------------------
Big up your self!
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #3
I've played it twice, once siding with the Empire and once siding with the Hill Runners.

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Warrior
Member # 415
Profile Homepage #4
Which one did you like better? Were they both equally fun?

--------------------
Big up your self!
Apprentice
Member # 4020
Profile #5
I joined the Empire and killed Stalker without thinking twice. The Hillter Runners are a bunch of terrorists killing the very people they are suppose to be liberating (all terrorists say that they are bring freedom to people), what good would freedom do you if you are dead? Further more, although the Empire has turned the civilians into serfs, that may not last forever, once in a while a good Emperor might come along and do something about this.
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #6
In BoE, if I remember correctly, took care of both because I hated them.
In BoA I tried but got distracted in my saving duties and couldn't back my steps, maybe I got to caught up in the goo, so I just helped the Empire. Bah.

[ Monday, July 19, 2004 10:32: Message edited by: Blind Samurai Penguin Clown ]

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #7
I took the shortest path possible for completion, and I sided with the Rebels from the start. When I met Stalker face to face, I killed him and fled to the docks where (strangely) Jaen was, telling of the nonexistent attack he had staged in order to free me. He also said my reward was in a nearby box (which it wasn't.) I killed him for his nonsense and then left.

I played the scenario normally before, so I understood what would've happened. I just felt like pointing out the inconsistencies of what happens when you actually effectively assassinate Stalker.

[ Monday, July 19, 2004 13:32: Message edited by: Eldiran ]

--------------------
You're a moron if you think I'm not.
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #8
quote:
Which one did you like better? Were they both equally fun?
I think I prefered playing with the Hill Runners. You get to kill more monsters that way. I'm going to play again and kill both the leaders. :P

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #9
Stalker's annoying. I sided with him, and then once he tried to kick me off the island, I eliminated him. Then, the weirdest thing happened. JAEN came back from the dead to tell me that I killed stalker. It's like - I killed JAEN!!! :mad:

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Warrior
Member # 4484
Profile #10
And you continue living knowing that??!!
:)

--------------------
"Il est interdit de se battre sur le Champ du Massacre; dit-il avant de marquer une pause, le temps de reflechir a la logique de ses propos."

Discworld, The Colour of Magic
Apprentice
Member # 4552
Profile #11
I killed Stalker then Jaen, so that the scenario ended in a draw game...
And yes, it satisfied my BLOODLUST!!!
... hum... ;)

--------------------
Funny how it all falls away... ;_;
Warrior
Member # 415
Profile Homepage #12
I thought the Hill Runners were in it for the people, but after a visit to Fahl, im not so sure... oh well. You cant second guess how to live your life!

--------------------
Big up your self!
Apprentice
Member # 4708
Profile #13
This scenario was frustrating and reminded me how war is gross, but it was well written and interesting to play.

I couldn't join with the rebels, as Pass said, they were terrorists. The Empire was also terrorizing, starving, and torturing the people, but I was hoping once evil Lord Volpe was gone that Lord Brosterman, who seemed a good character in the game, could somehow take his place once peace was settled.
Warrior
Member # 415
Profile Homepage #14
My recent gaming has changed my perspective. I have joined the rebels, but now plan to kill their leader. And the Empire's leader, too. My new mission....
:mad: TO F*%K SH#T UP!!! :mad:
...for the good of the people...
....somehow....
(I'll figure somthing out) :)

--------------------
Big up your self!
Apprentice
Member # 4531
Profile #15
Wow, how come so many people chose the Hill runners. That's the only choice I can't find any justification for. Helping the Empire would restore order so that the system could be reformed (how often does liberty increase in wartime?) Killing both leaders could allow more sensible people to fill their places. And just leaving the island without helping either side is the most morally acceptable option (and counts as a "win" on your record, interestingly enough). But I can't see any reason to go with Stalker.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
Funny how this scenario has taken on a whole new meaning post-9/11. (For those who don't know, the BoE version of this scenario -- the original version -- was made in '97, before terrorism was a major political issue in the US.)

I sided with the Hill Runners, just because the Empire creeped me out at that point. I forget why. I have a certain amount of sympathy for self-determination movements, too, just sort of on general principle.

I guess I chose the Hill Runners because their cause sounded reasonable. Their living conditions were pretty bad, and the people in power were clearly to blame -- although whether the Hill Runners, if they succeeded, would truly improve conditions is an open question. Still, waiting around for a good Emperor to come along and fix things just doesn't seem like a great way of going about it. Historically, rulers don't relinquish power unless forced to.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #17
Man, you people think too much. I chose the Empire first time 'round because I couldn't figure out that quickfire trap in the outpost. (And I was well rewarded, too; the Jaen boss fight is so undramatic.)

--------------------
You're a moron if you think I'm not.
Apprentice
Member # 4695
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Eric-Ihrno:

Wow, how come so many people chose the Hill runners. That's the only choice I can't find any justification for. Helping the Empire would restore order so that the system could be reformed (how often does liberty increase in wartime?) Killing both leaders could allow more sensible people to fill their places. And just leaving the island without helping either side is the most morally acceptable option (and counts as a "win" on your record, interestingly enough). But I can't see any reason to go with Stalker.
you gotta think about this choice in light of the whole history - Avernum 1-3. When I look at it that way I want to go with the Hill Runners because they're just trying to do what the Avernites did in the first place: fight back. Throw off oppressive government!
Apprentice
Member # 4656
Profile #19
What's with all the talk about *I* did this, and *I* did that?

My party was there on a contract from the Empire. They were hired to do a job, and they successfully fulfilled their end of the bargain. End of story.

Now, if it had been *I* actually there, I'm pretty sure things would've gone much differently. ;)

As it turned out though, my party decided in the end that a strong sense of morality might well be a thing of great worth, but it don't pay the bills. Hence their decision to work for the side with the deepest pockets.

(but then, of course, *I* played the scenario again and slaughtered every single Empire sympathizer in sight :D )

--------------------
I ain't no ******* son of a *****.
You better think about it, baby.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #20
While role-playing, it is traditional (and often more fun) to identify with your characters. Using the first person is a common way to achieve this. (This doesn't mean be yourself; it means put yourself in your character's shoes as much as possible.)

So nyah.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4708
Profile #21
quote:
And just leaving the island without helping either side is the most morally acceptable option (and counts as a "win" on your record, interestingly enough).
Eric, yes, I agree it would have been the most moral option to leave. I did that at first but then I was curious and a bit hopeful about the end.

But what do you mean it counts as a win? And does it count if you leave at any point?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
But what do you mean it counts as a win?
It counts toward the "Scenarios Won" counter on the party status screen.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 286
Profile #23
When you have characters loaded but they're not in a scenario (for example, when you've just finished a scenario), you get a listing of the characters in the party, and "Scenarios entered" and "Scenarios won" counters down the bottom of the screen. Eric is saying that if you just leave the scenario, you still get the "Scenarios won" counter increased as well as the "Scenarios entered" counter.

--------------------
Z: "I just feel so insignificant."
Psych: "You ARE. You're an ANT."
--Antz
Apprentice
Member # 4656
Profile #24
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

While role-playing, it is traditional (and often more fun) to identify with your characters. Using the first person is a common way to achieve this. (This doesn't mean be yourself; it means put yourself in your character's shoes as much as possible.)

So nyah.

Yes, that's one approach, and the one I choose more often than not. But sometimes it's all kinds of fun to RP a cold, unfeeling bastard of a character with whom I have nothing at all in common. Or perhaps it forces me to come to terms with the likelihood that I may have more in common with my naughty character than I allow myself to believe...

And for me, that's one of the hallmarks of a *really* good RPG: At some point it leads you to ask yourself, "Am I playing the role of this fantasy character, or is this character playing a fantasy version of ME?"

The more those boundaries are blurred, the more immersive the game becomes. ASR pulls this off quite nicely, I think, which is why I enjoyed playing it so much.

--------------------
I ain't no ******* son of a *****.
You better think about it, baby.

Pages