special skills (in case you were wondering...)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: special skills (in case you were wondering...)
Cartographer
Member # 995
Profile #0
quick strike dex 8, melee or pole 6
parry dex 8, defense 6
blademaster str 8, melee 6, pole 6
anatomy int 6, melee or pole 8
gymnastics str 8, dex 10
pathfinder int 8, nature lore +6 levels from base (8 at int 8)
magery int 10, mage or priest 6
resistance dex 10, end 11, hardiness 8
magical efficiency int 10, end 11, magery 8
lethal blow blademaster 8, anatomy 8
riposte parry 8, blademaster 6
sharpshooter dex 6, bow or thrown 8
see, I guess there was a use for the character editor after all

[ Tuesday, June 29, 2004 16:39: Message edited by: silver harloe ]
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #1
I've always loved your maps. And now that I see you posting, I'd like to thank you for them.

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
Warrior
Member # 4600
Profile #2
for blademaster do u need 6 in pole and melee? becuse i have 9 into stregnth and like 13 into melee

--------------------
Life is full with strife, without it there would be no knife, see no movement, rent no rage, keeping the emotions in the cage, hoping to be a sage and release it all in a magical way, then stall to runaway, from the death and decay.
Apprentice
Member # 1555
Profile Homepage #3
Yes you do, you need 6 in each

--------------------
I'm like a walkin, talkin, ouija board. Speakin in tongues, I've never spoke this speech before Hhem-delle-la, ennich-me-noughh-mi-niche-mick-norr
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #4
I have managed to get most of the skills after finishing all of the scenarios except for Resistance and Lethal Blow. I had to buy Riposte - 1 level so I really can't advance in it yet. I went through Za-Khazi and Dwtd twice. I still haven't got the most powerful spells yet or advanced my potions skills to the top of the list. There is plenty of room for a powerhouse scenario to develop the top skills.

I think of Lethal Blow and Resistance as artifact level skills. I imagine that you could have an artifact with lethal blow--

Vorpal Sword-
7-42 Damage + 1-6 damage/level and strength
+10%attack
+3 lethal blow

Platemail of Resistance
1-40 +40 Defense
+10%Defense
Immunity to Poison
+3 Resistance
15% attack penalty

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Apprentice
Member # 1555
Profile Homepage #5
Did you make up the Vorpal Sword and Platemail of Resistance or do they exist, if so where do if find them, sorry if i'm a little of topic

--------------------
I'm like a walkin, talkin, ouija board. Speakin in tongues, I've never spoke this speech before Hhem-delle-la, ennich-me-noughh-mi-niche-mick-norr
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #6
I just made them up for fun.

--------------------

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Warrior
Member # 4631
Profile #7
Note: -Edited away-

Also, if you're willing to be an exploiter, you can get the special skills by saving up loads of skill points (maybe have some real characters baby-sit the exploiter), and then goosing the requisite skills up to the required levels, buying the special skill(s), and then lowering the requisite skills to a desired level. Voila - a helpful return without all the investment. You can get resistance and magical efficiency into balanced level 25 characters this way. Cheap? Yes. But then no one ever falsely accused me of being cheap.

[ Friday, July 02, 2004 11:10: Message edited by: Doodoo ]

--------------------
"'I saw the duckling hatch and disappear.
Sadly I ask who may have taken it.'"
Warrior
Member # 4631
Profile #8
Also, does anybody know if anatomy or deathblow works with a ranged attack?

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #9
Sigh. I knew this would go to waste.

To Doodoo: I'm pretty sure that the only special skill that affects archery in any way is Sharpshooter.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4631
Profile #10
My humble apologies, Imbandon - My shortsighted redundancy has been corrected. Your link to the prior discussion was most helpful.

--------------------
Cartographer
Member # 995
Profile #11
my apologies as well - I searched the forums to see if the same info had been posted already, but only by topic scanning and looking at the top post of a few promising sounding messages.
Warrior
Member # 4654
Profile #12
help!!!!! i kno tht this is a litte off the topic, bt...how am i supposed to complete the VoDT?i am as far as till i have met the captured dragon.i've even explored most of the place.on the admin floor...how do i make the spiders let me go past?the part on the top left is totally un explored.anyone .. i need help!!!

--------------------
life is too short to be taken seriously.hmm.but its also the longest thing a person can ever do!
Warrior
Member # 4484
Profile #13
First you need to talk with the Vanathai hidden in a cave.To find them, go on the library level, and search for a door right.Enter the door, and go down by the stairs.Speek with the vanathai, they're gonna explain you what to do.After speaking with them, find the Spider Chef, and you can reach the north top of the screen.

--------------------
"Il est interdit de se battre sur le Champ du Massacre; dit-il avant de marquer une pause, le temps de reflechir a la logique de ses propos."

Discworld, The Colour of Magic
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #14
I found resistance in Roses of Reckoning. One more skill to go-- Lethal Blow. I slipped in my super party and bought 2 levels of resistance cheap. I hope lethal blow will be available either through an item in a high level scenario, or as a trainable skill-- huge gold cost -- or even better as a quest fulfillment item. You have to do some major stuff for some ancient warrior who can beat your whole party up with a wooden stick or piece of bamboo to learn lethal blow.

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 4484
Profile #15
I don't like the way you can pay to learn new skills, it's too powerfull!
In RoR, you can learn hardiness, resistance, etc...,Hardiness is ok, cause it's not a powerfull skill, but for resistance...
In BoA, the new skills, like lethal blow, or riposte are really hard to train, but there is a reason:they're f***ing powerfull!If you can get them too early, like in RoR, I think it's overbalanced...

--------------------
"Il est interdit de se battre sur le Champ du Massacre; dit-il avant de marquer une pause, le temps de reflechir a la logique de ses propos."

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #16
Well, the bit of Resistance and Gymnastics you can get in RoR is... meh. It's only a point or two, whereas you can get quite a few more if you actually get the skill.
Warrior
Member # 4484
Profile #17
Cruel but fair...

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 4600
Profile #18
we need to keep this alive or it might be deleted..

--------------------
Life is full with strife, without it there would be no knife, see no movement, rent no rage, keeping the emotions in the cage, hoping to be a sage and release it all in a magical way, then stall to runaway, from the death and decay.
Warrior
Member # 4583
Profile Homepage #19
Vorpal Sword - Someone likes Dynasty Warriors.

--------------------
"Fall in CHAOS!!!" Dark Archon.
Warrior
Member # 4631
Profile #20
No, I think 'Vorpal Sword' is like 'Dragon's Teeth' and 'Orc' - ubiquitous in fantasy. I seem to recall a vorpal sword from the gold box RPGs...

--------------------
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #21
Vorpal was, of course, inspired by the poem of the Jabberwocky, and adopted by D&D to mean "cuts off things' heads real good".

[ Wednesday, July 07, 2004 12:39: Message edited by: Imban ]
Warrior
Member # 4665
Profile #22
Definition for 'Vorpal'

quote:
Vorpal Sword-
7-42 Damage + 1-6 damage/level and strength
+10%attack
+3 lethal blow

Me likes................ Someone should make an item like that................*would do so herself, but is an editor dummy and doesn't know how*

--------------------
Soy sauce makes everything better. Except for Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders. Soy sauce makes Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders all sticky. And it makes them smell funny. But soy sauce makes everything else better. Just not Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #23
Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Lewis Carroll

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 3605
Profile Homepage #24
Are you sure that you need str 8, melee 6 and pole 6 for blademaster? My charcter have currently got at least 13 strength, 13 in their main weapons skill and 6 in the secondry and are yet to be able to train in blademaster...

EDIT: Some brief testing proves it. You need 8 in your secondry skill to be able to train in blademaster. (and example of secondry skill is pole weapons to a swordsman).

EDIT 2: This is strange you only need 6 in the editor but 8 if your training. I be confused.

[ Wednesday, July 14, 2004 02:30: Message edited by: Angry Ogre ]

--------------------
"But The Damage is Irreversible"

Pages