special skills (in case you were wondering...)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: special skills (in case you were wondering...)
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #25
My guess is that you have some item that increases your weapon skill.
Warrior
Member # 4484
Profile #26
if you want to know how much you need to have the special skills, just use the editor or the HLPM, and give you skill points, one by one, to check...

--------------------
"Il est interdit de se battre sur le Champ du Massacre; dit-il avant de marquer une pause, le temps de reflechir a la logique de ses propos."

Discworld, The Colour of Magic
Cartographer
Member # 995
Profile #27
to contradict something Kel posted in the other thread: the initial stats 2 2 2 3 do not count as bought, at least in the windows version 1.0.2, actually doing:

print_num(get_stat(0, 0));
print_num(get_stat_levels_bought(0, 0));

always yields (for my characters, anyway) a difference of 2 (i.e. 13/11 on my main fighter's str)

so, too, for dex and int. and end always has a difference of 3 for me.

so, I conclude that the following would allow one to check if a character qualifies for the various skills scriptually:

19 quick strike (get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 1) > 5)
&& ((get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 4) > 5)
|| (get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 5) > 5))
20 parry (get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 1) > 5)
&& (get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 9) > 5)
21 blademaster (get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 0) > 5)
&& (get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 4) > 5)
&& (get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 5) > 5)
22 anatomy (get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 2) > 3)
&& ((get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 4) > 7)
|| (get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 5) > 7))
23 gymnastics (get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 0) > 5)
&& (get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 1) > 7)
24 pathfinder (get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 2) > 5)
&& (get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 16) > 5)
25 magery (get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 2) > 7)
&& ((get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 11) > 5)
|| (get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 12) > 5))
26 resistance (get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 1) > 7)
&& (get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 3) > 7)
&& (get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 8) > 7)
27 magical efficiency (get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 2) > 7)
&& (get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 3) > 7)
&& (get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 25) > 7)
28 lethal blow (get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 21) > 7)
&& (get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 22) > 7)
29 riposte (get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 20) > 7)
&& (get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 21) > 5)
30 sharpshooter (get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 1) > 3)
&& ((get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 6) > 7)
|| (get_stat_levels_bought(XX, 7) > 7))
replace XX with character number (probably with get_selected_pc() or a variable containing the value of same)

[ Saturday, May 14, 2005 09:48: Message edited by: silver harloe ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #28
That's rather odd. But, for instance, an item with +6 to Dexterity wouldn't raise your Tool Use by 3, would it? I was going off of the fact that if you go into the character editor and drop the stats down as far as they'll go, you're left with 2 Int, which gives you 1 Arcane Lore.

I suppose this means that there are more than just "base" and "bought" values.

[ Saturday, May 14, 2005 09:21: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #29
I think your bought skills do not count towards getting special skills. You have to increase your base skills to get certain skills. For example if you have the bonus dexterity from being a Nephilim it will not count towards getting Sharpshooter for example. I think there may be some glitches because the games algorithms are off because of this. I am not too sure.

I also think that item bonus skill points like +1 dexterity are counted differently than base skills. I think they are counted as bought skills, or character traits. so they won't give you the ability to improve certain characteristics.

I think there are three types of skill effects-- base skills, bought skills (this possibly combines with item bonus skills), and character trait bonus skills-- which may have a separate way of being calculated. Somehow all of these interact in funny ways.

[ Saturday, May 14, 2005 09:59: Message edited by: Duke of Toast ]

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Cartographer
Member # 995
Profile #30
I repeated the print_num()s above with a nephil and it gave a difference of 2 4 2 3, so it appears the 2 2 2 3 is a "race minimum" and does count towards derived skills.

there are basically 3 skill types:

1) race minimum - DOES count towards derived - does NOT count towards special skills

2) bought - DOES count towards derived - DOES count towards special skills - note this can be bought from a skills shop or trained via skill points. I made a skills shop and tested it, and the two are indistinguishable (i.e. I bought levels of dex and melee in the skills shop and quick strike became a training option, the skill points needed to train dex and melee went up, and my tool use went up and my get_stat_levels_bought() went up)

3) item bonuses - does NOT count towards derived - does NOT count towards special skills

the sum of all 3 is get_stat(who, which) and the second one only is get_stat_levels_bought(who, which).

the only way I know of to determine types 1 and 3 scriptually are:

race_min = 2;
if (which == 3) race_min = race_min + 1;
if (which == 1 && get_species(who) == 2) race_min = race_min + 2;

item_bonuses = get_stat(who, which) - get_stat_levels_bought(who, which) - race_min;

I'm unaware of the glitches or oddities you refer to. In my version of BoA, they seem to work exactly as I just described.

in theory only there could be a 4th type that does not count towards derived but does count towards special. but I wouldn't know how to get such stats and don't think they make sense.

[ Saturday, May 14, 2005 11:03: Message edited by: silver harloe ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by Duke of Toast:

I think your bought skills do not count towards getting special skills. You have to increase your base skills to get certain skills. For example if you have the bonus dexterity from being a Nephilim it will not count towards getting Sharpshooter for example.
I think you've confused yourself a little on the terminology, Toast. "Bought" skill levels are the ones you buy with skill points or from trainers. "Base" is everything else, including item bonuses, racial bonuses and so on (although it now seems that different kinds of base actually work in slightly different ways).

[ Saturday, May 14, 2005 14:23: Message edited by: So I Will Eat Fugu ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!

Pages