How to get skill points or fine lockpicks? (VODT)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: How to get skill points or fine lockpicks? (VODT)
Apprentice
Member # 4360
Profile #0
Hi again!

After finishing VoDT with the pre-fab party, I tried to do it again as a singleton (with the help pf Bruning). My character is a fast-on-feet natural mage custom human, and she is now level 17. She has strength 8 and tool use 9. The problem is: I have finished everything, including the main task, except bringing the sceptre to Marralis. I can't open doors which are level 12, and I used up the fine lockpicks I found already.

Can I still finish without using the editor?

I don't think there are many enemies left to be defeated, except the one that appears in the level with the gremlins after I read a book, and that one kills me at first or second hit even if I am hasted snd have all kinds of potions and good armour and everything. I also tried walking around the library and killing the shades that are summoned by the wisp, but I suppose it would be much to long before I could gain a level that way. I also tried attacking the wisp itself, but I don't think I can kill it, it regains health faster than I can hit it. Attacking other non-hostile creatures is out of the question. (I mean I can try it to see what happens, and then reload, but finish a task that way). So I suppose I won't be able no gain as many skill points as I need.

Do fine lockpicks enable me to pick a level 12 lock with tool use level 9? If so, is there any other place to find or buy them, except in that same apothecary rooms?
Or is there anyone selling an unlock spell? I have lots of money and still lots of treasures lying around.
Apprentice
Member # 4580
Profile #1
If your feeling evil you could kill the villagers in the towns for the xp.
Warrior
Member # 4599
Profile #2
Fine Lockpicks add +4 to lockpicking skills, so yes with a skill of 9 you should be able to pick it. As to where to get more picks, I have no idea.
EDIT: Well I'm glad I'm not alone when I kill the villagers, but I only do it after I beat the game. Nice to meet you Razor.

[ Friday, June 25, 2004 13:50: Message edited by: were244 ]

--------------------
"Yeah-- you're right. You christians are far too persecuted nowadays. I mean it. We really should stop feeding you to the lions." --TM

"Ancient Blessings" My unfinished (and likely to remain that way) BoA scenario.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #3
You have to be careful when playing as a singleton. A little bit of magic as a COMPLIMENT to melee skills is usually the way to go. Fine lockpicks only add +2, and you could try saving before picking the locks so you could preserve them if you have the patience.

But you must have done pretty well to have gotten past that PLatebug Queen.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and those shades don't give any experience, and it is nigh-impossible to kill that wisp with a singleton at that stage because you MUST assassinate to do good damage and it summons 3 vengeful shades once it is pretty damaged. It also has a 1000 health on normal with a freezing touch.

[ Friday, June 25, 2004 14:01: Message edited by: Keep ]

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Apprentice
Member # 4580
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by were244:

EDIT: Well I'm glad I'm not alone when I kill the villagers, but I only do it after I beat the game. Nice to meet you Razor.
Same here, But I Don't like killing the women and kids. That makes me feel to guilty. (I'm a big softy) Nice to meet you as well.
Warrior
Member # 4599
Profile #5
Well about the kids.... I do not either. But sometimes those women are monsters! I don't kill the GIFTS or Erika either.

--------------------
"Yeah-- you're right. You christians are far too persecuted nowadays. I mean it. We really should stop feeding you to the lions." --TM

Apprentice
Member # 4580
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by were244:

Well about the kids.... I do not either. But sometimes those women are monsters! I don't kill the GIFTS or Erika either.
I never said I would'int kill the women just that I did'int like it. :P But I would never kill Erika shes cool.
Warrior
Member # 4599
Profile #7
YES! Another Erika fan! Well, I may be taking your "she's cool," a little to far but... who cares.

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 4484
Profile #8
The only scenario where I've killed villagers is ASR.When you play other scenarios, it just doesn't fit: immagine some adventurers killing everyone in a town...I give them 5 days before being crucified on a public place. :)

--------------------
"Il est interdit de se battre sur le Champ du Massacre; dit-il avant de marquer une pause, le temps de reflechir a la logique de ses propos."

Discworld, The Colour of Magic
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #9
In BoA, yes.

In BoE, you'd typically be strong enough by level 20 to handily butcher anyone who'd even THINK about trying to crucify you, so you could commit heinous murder at will.
Apprentice
Member # 4360
Profile #10
Well, thanks all. Looks like I have to start over or find an older save file with fine lockpicks, doesn't it? Or first of all, I'll have another look if anyone sells them.
Beating townspeople isn't a way for me to finish the game. Didn't I already say I'm not going to attack anyone non-hostile except that wisp? Well, really, if honest, I sometimes do so, in order to see what happens. To find out new possibilities of the game. But after that I restore an older file, I don't want to finish the game as a villain.
How I got past the Platebug queen? Maybe that was a bug ;) , but it didn't hit me at all. It just had very much health and kept running away from me. And then, there already was Bruning to assist me.
Apprentice
Member # 4360
Profile #11
Sorry for reviving an old topic but I DID IT!

There were fine lockpicks in the Main Control Center in a cupboard. In addition to that I identified a potion and it turned out to be Knowledge Brew, and with its help I got tool use 10, so I can now open doors with difficulty 12.

Also I killed that ugly Bound Infernal or whatever it's called (don't ask me how. Luck, I suppose), and it had a bracelet that adds 2 to my strength. So I thought for a while I'd better increas my strength, fought some Altered Beasts (that's really why I went to the Main Control Center, not in hope to find the picks), and tried several times to fight the wisp.

Have you ever noticed how peaceful wisps are? You just have to leave its level and it talks to you again when you come back, no matter what you did to it earlier!
Warrior
Member # 4600
Profile #12
Where is the Bound Infernal?

--------------------
Life is full with strife, without it there would be no knife, see no movement, rent no rage, keeping the emotions in the cage, hoping to be a sage and release it all in a magical way, then stall to runaway, from the death and decay.
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #13
After you kill the Guardian Spectre, and both the stairways become open, go to the other Gremlin infested level. In the southwest corner there will be a small room with a dark alter. Enter it, and the Bound Infernal will eventually appear.

Warning, he has low health, but all the mage spells.
Apprentice
Member # 5066
Profile #14
you should maybe stick a bigger warning on it then that..
haste both fighters
triple bless one...single bless the other..summon beast and shade..
read the book
his first turn
summon fire breathing hydras of death (x3)
summon vampie
summon cave giants of beating death x3
hydras blast everyone for fire and he does something else fun..
end result
the triple blessed fighter is dead
everyone else is at 0..
my turn..go..
everyone is around level 13..
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #15
Um, please don't revive topics which are 3 freaking months old?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 5066
Profile #16
um..get over it?
Warrior
Member # 4987
Profile Homepage #17
Um... Moo?
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by crossmr:

um..get over it?
You know, the traditional response to being informed that you've violated a community's custom is "I'm sorry, I won't do it again."

Anything less makes you look like an arrogant jerk.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
BANNED
Member # 4860
Profile Homepage #19
[nevermind, it's not like us telling him/her the truth would make him a better 8-year-old]

[ Saturday, October 09, 2004 00:59: Message edited by: Kumitissit ]

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #20
That as may be Djur, but it didn't stop me.

Back on the original topic (old as it is), surely another method (if you wanted to go extreme, without cheating) is just leaving the scenario and coming back to try it again. You have to do all the quests again, but you start with a char better than level 1.
Apprentice
Member # 5066
Profile #21
quote:
Back on the original topic (old as it is), surely another method (if you wanted to go extreme, without cheating) is just leaving the scenario and coming back to try it again. You have to do all the quests again, but you start with a char better than level 1.
Thats a possibility I suppose, but it seems an extreme measure to take to complete part of the scenario doesn't it? I tried it a few more times but no luck, I couldn't get past the 2nd round in any fight, buffing, a few summons.. it didn't much matter because he just summoned way to many critters (and deadly ones that had attacks that could kill everyone in a single round at once)

quote:
Originally written by Andrea:

You know, the traditional response to being informed that you've violated a community's custom is "I'm sorry, I won't do it again."

Anything less makes you look like an arrogant jerk.
An exasperated response to someone new's innocent mistake makes your community appear just as rude.
Considering its custom in about 99% of forums to always search and find an appropriately started threads to keep your comments within. (unless its exceedingly old, say 1 year+, 2-3 months is not considered old)

Civility is not to be judged by the person who made a mistake and was responded to in a less then courteous manner. Especially when that was received from someone who should be a veteran and the first to extend a kind hand to a new person.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #22
I said "please"...

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #23
I don't know what the standards are anywhere else, but here, any thread that hasn't been posted in for more than a week is considered dead. Topic necromancy is frowned upon, primarily if you have nothing new to add or if the topic was to answer a specific question by a specific user who clearly no longer has that question.

It appears that this thread achieved resolution on the "Bound Infernal" topic which both the final two posts and the reviving post were about, and the reviving post was entirely unnecessary. That's why people responded negatively.

EDIT: crossmr, it's also traditional for a newbie to recognize that a community has existed for many years before that newbie joined and to look around for a while to get an idea of what this community is like before snapping at two of its most respected members for supposedly not being civil.

[ Sunday, October 10, 2004 06:31: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00