BoA and Realmz what link??

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: BoA and Realmz what link??
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #0
I haven't played any other spiderweb software but some years ago I played realmz. I just played BoA first scenario and bought it. But if my memory not wrong why they are so many strong similarities between those two games? What's the story?
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #1
Realmz is NOT a Spiderweb Software game. There might be a few similarities, but that's because both Realmz and BoA are RPGs (ie. Role Playing Games). RPGs tend to be turn-based fighting games that do damage based on dice (artificial or otherwise) and statistics of characters.

Why they also might seem similar is that both have no real story, and have scenario editors. Divinity (Realmz's editor), however, is far inferior to the BoA Scenario Editor.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
They're both shareware scenario-based fantasy RPG's. That's the extent of the similarities. BoA is good, Realmz is a buggy, typo-ridden, all around inferior game.

—Alorael, who thinks you may be thinking of the original link between Spiderweb and Fanasoft. That ended with Exile 2.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 3946
Profile Homepage #3
acctually, in all of the exile games, they shared graphics with realmz, the brigand from BoE was a player graphic off of Realmz. I didn't see any exile graphics going the other way though... another example was the captain from exile, yet again a player graphic on realmz.
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #4
I don't care comparing the two, it's just that there are much more similarities than you seem say. Or I remember not well. For example the "cat" race is in both isn't it? Or my memory is wrong? If not it's not a common thing in computer RPG.

I understand that with a same base design same idea could rise. But I feel there's much more than that.

Well, perhaps you gave me the answer or a part of it :
"who thinks you may be thinking of the original link between Spiderweb and Fanasoft. That ended with Exile 2."
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #5
Cathoons are not equal to Nephilim. (Cathoons are closer to bats than cats.) Realmz is 2d, BoA is not. And as for the graphics, the same person supplied the sprites for both games- Andrew Hunter. Therefore, you would see many overlapping graphics: Practically all of the graphics in Exile are found in Realmz somewhere.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 3946
Profile Homepage #6
na, realmz has alot of different monsters, and more or less, the overlaps come from our monsters being their pcs

also, cathoons and lizardmen were added after (along with their demon race, lepricahn, pixe, etc.) in their version 5.0 while exile has always had the nephilim and sliths.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
Lizardmen and Cathoons also play little to no role in Realmz, while they're integral to the plot of the Avernum games. Which reminds me that Reamz tends to have no plot in most of the scenarios...

Lizardmen and catmen are both common features of fantasy, second only to elves and dwarves. At least Avernum has the decency to have a few races with some details instead of hordes of poorly balanced and even more poorly explained races.

—Alorael, who is no Realmz fan. Or hadn't you guessed that?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 455
Profile #8
Yeah, dawg, but Realmz has mad, thuggity name skillz.

--------------------
Forgive them, for they are young and rich and white.
Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #9
Yeah, BOA has one x-factor that makes it far superior to Realmz - It is actually fun to play.

Trying to have fun playing Realmz is like being a blind man in a dark cellar looking for a black cat that doesn't exist.

Z

--------------------
Pan Lever: Seventeen apple roving mirror moiety. Of turned quorum jaggedly the. Blue?
Warrior
Member # 3946
Profile Homepage #10
i liked the game, but mainly i like the music (buggy, but cool still) but still, i was comparing it to exile. in which case theyre about 6 to 4 (exile to realmz) but still, avernum is alot better.
Warrior
Member # 2711
Profile #11
Spiderweb owns fantasoft, if you check, their last game was released like 3 years ago or so and it was one of those cheap arcade thingys

Spiderweb on the other hand is thriving

die fantasoft muahahaha

even though i played realmz when i was 4 o.0...i ph33red ghouls...brrr...
Posts: 126 | Registered: Wednesday, February 26 2003 08:00