New Scenarios

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: New Scenarios
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #0
So who's got a scenario in the works that should be done soon? And approximately how soon (days, weeks, months) will it be done? (And I am looking at the beta-testers, who had such a big head start on the rest of us....)

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 2711
Profile #1
i'm making one for the scen design competition...will take at very least 5-6 months, i have the plotline already but i have yet to find a name for it ;)
btw, you shouldnt be looking for scenarios anytime soon...it's been out for like a week heh and the beta testers are probably laughing at us in the corner :P
Posts: 126 | Registered: Wednesday, February 26 2003 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #2
Heh heh heh.

*i has one in the works that should surface in a couple of months. I have RiB, as always.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 3846
Profile #3
Pardon my ignorance, but what is "RiB" ?
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #4
Rhapsody in Blue. Drakey enjoys joking about its existance.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #5
I'll probably finish working on another scenario to get better experience with the editor first.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #6
I have a plan, but no computer at the moment.

It'll be something really small, so I might even finish it, you never know. That said, I've now spoken about it, so it is now doomed.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

New Mac BoE
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #7
You could try porting Demon.

--------------------
====
====
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #8
No, I'm not that short of ideas. I think my effort would be better spent on something new, rather than trying to fiddle with the conversion process. Anyway, several of the puzzles would be completely impossible in BoA and I'd rather not try to find new ones that fit the space.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

New Mac BoE
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #9
I have an idea. The plots sorted, and I know the majority of puzzles that I want in it. I've also designed a boss character. All I need now is the scenario editor! (I'm a Windows user!)

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #10
Is anyone planning to port anything? I mean, granted, it would be nice to see some new ideas, but we do have the capability in the editor, limited as it is. Some of the BoE scenarios out there might be worth it.

Presumably porting will be more worthwhile in a year or two, when people are more often buying BoA without buying BoE.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Is anyone planning to port anything? I mean, granted, it would be nice to see some new ideas
Many of those Blades of Exile scenarios will be new to people like me who have never played BoE and never intend to. So I for one look forward to playing some of those ported scenarios!
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #12
(sigh)

I get so sick of saying this.

1) Some may be ported, but the more complex (and better) they are, the more difficult it will be and the less likely it will happen.

2) Some of the BoE scenarios out there are much better than any game Jeff has made. And there are loads of others that are just fantastic and not really, really fantastic. Get BoE.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #13
I may port RoR to gain experience with the editor, but that aside, I will port none of my BoE scenarios to the new medium. Nothing personal, but I don't like telling the same story twice, and I don't want to assist in the devaluation of BoE. There will be many good scenarios not ported, and if not porting any of my works helps make people give BoA's "ancient" predecessor a more sincere review, then great.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #14
Well, heh, Creator, I know that. I was asking if anyone specific was going to port anything specific. Like, say, TM's response, that he may port RoR. (And as I refer to my newbie notes, I see that RoR stands for... Roses of Reckoning.) I meant, say, are YOU planning to port Revenge (or any of your others), or is Stareye likely to port AtG (or any of his others), or Alcritas to port Falling Stars (or any of his others), or anything like that.

My guess is no, but I was just wondering.

And I'm assuming that the second comment was not directed at me, seeing as that I already *have* BoE and appreciate its wonderfulness.

EDIT: come to think of it, Stareye would have to be slightly insane to port AtG. That scenario is HUGE, is it not?

[ Tuesday, March 23, 2004 15:35: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 455
Profile #15
Speaking, as always, as a no-design-talent player, I'm happy to wait for BoA originals. If VoTD and A Small Rebellion are anything to go by, pulling off a decent port is no easy thing. Diplomacy with the Dead is, in many ways, inferior to SR, yet I'm finding its gameplay more interesting simply because it is built for BoA from the ground up. Compare the sewer sequences in both, for instance. Although Diplomacy's should be the one that comes off like a tired rehash (even its designer seems to know this -- heck, the device was satirized in BoE years ago), I think it has more bite to it than the ported SR's -- layout and encounters are conceived in ways that play directly to the tactical challenges that work for the Avernum engine. It isn't just -- to take one example -- that you would have to fiddle with opponents' strength and numbers in a ported scenario; you'd also likely have to retool the town plan itself in order to create spaces that shift combat away from static, pitched battles (which the Exile engine encourages, and which can be made interesting in BoE), at which point, you might as well design the town from scratch. And do I want Stareye to waste time figuring out how to reproduce his BoE innovations in BoA, or do I want him to revolutionize the BoA engine the way his first scenarios revolutionized BoE? Well, that point probably doesn't need making again.

--------------------
Forgive them, for they are young and rich and white.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
I'm not saying that they should ... I'm just wondering if anyone will ...

Clearly the answer is no, which is probably as it should be. Pity that Jeff designed that capability, then.

--------------------

BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #17
Kel, keep in mind that people are not always talking to you. My post was in response the the one immediately before it, not to yours.

It's very, very unlikely that I'll ever port any of my scenarios. They are simply way too complex.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #18
Porting is horribly inefficient, and the time spent on porting would be better spent designing a completely new scenario.

And for all you Windows users - there's no reason you can't write all of your scripts now - the scenario editor is just for towns and outdoors.

--------------------
====
====
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #19
What, you mean not everyone in the world is thinking about me all the time when they talk? I've been misled all my life...

Seriously, though, when I said
quote:
And I'm assuming that the second comment was not directed at me, seeing as that I already *have* BoE and appreciate its wonderfulness.
I meant it literally.

And it seemed like
quote:
1) Some may be ported, but the more complex (and better) they are, the more difficult it will be and the less likely it will happen.

was a direct (and somewhat empty, which should've been my clue that it wasn't) response to
quote:
Is anyone planning to port anything?
I assume TM will make a new scenario or two or fifteen, although he didn't directly say that. Who else not already mentioned has one in the works? (I really DON'T want this to become a discussion of porting, because then my original question will be completely forgotten.)

[ Wednesday, March 24, 2004 08:25: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 455
Profile #20
Few designers who intend to finish a scenario will advertise the fact until they release the beta. When asked about their work before then, they tend to react like somebody just yelled "Macbeth!" in a crowded rehearsal.

--------------------
Forgive them, for they are young and rich and white.
Warrior
Member # 2711
Profile #21
drakey... you mean that i actually have to [U]PROGRAM[/U] meh scenarios?
Posts: 126 | Registered: Wednesday, February 26 2003 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #22
Well, in the broadest sense (the same sense in which you "program" a VCR), BoE scenario-making was "programming" too. But yes, you will have to deal with scripts to make a decent scenario.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 4149
Profile #23
Why doesn't someone just make an incredibly complex program that can convert BoE scenarios to BoA scenarios. If all textures and characters have equivalents in BoA, then can't it be done? I believe BoE had more spells, so if any scenarios were dependent on having a particular spell, then it wouldn't work. But for those that don't have this, shouldn't there be a way to port it automatically?

--------------------
-"True wisdom can only come from experience and self-learning" -Siddhartha Gautama
-Card carrying member of the Divals Imperium.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #24
The trouble is that these things don't have direct equivalents in BoA. Terrains, for example, work differently. Monsters and items have a completely different set of stats. The dialogue system works differently. And many special nodes in BoE don't have equivalents in BoA.

The kind of AI you'd need to seamlessly convert a BoE scenario to a BoA scenario would be put to better use making its own, original scenarios from scratch.

[ Friday, March 26, 2004 22:15: Message edited by: The Soviet Onion ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!