Bosses in VotDT?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Bosses in VotDT?
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #0
Enough is enough- to be honest, I'm playing 1PC, and I don't have the sheer HP/SP to endure the Platebug Queen or the Altered Beast. I snuk by both just fine, but it was hardly easy. Any tips for getting the most bang out of a 1PC party?

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
I'm tellin' you... go duo... so much easier...

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #2
I also went with the singleton, and I skipped the platebug queen. The Altered Beast is easy enough with Divine Aid, which you get if you take Divinely Touched at the beginning. Otherwise, just keep pounding at it and healing yourself, or leave the town and level up in Blinlock.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #3
I had to skip the altered beast, but I managed to take out the platebug queen. I can't remember exactly, but I think I ignored her spawn as much as possible, and went right for her, with bless and haste on all the time. And don't forget about scrolls/wands/potions. I used invulnerability potions for several of the nastier battles in Za-Khazi and DipDead, certainly.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #4
Potions are a big help, much more than in BoE.

I couldn't get the platebug queen, mainly because she kept running away, so I just gave up and left the dungeon.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Warrior
Member # 1427
Profile #5
If you have some way to summon things, you MIGHT be able to distract it. For me, its mostly the little ones that always nail me.

The Altered Beast was pathetic against the might of my paladin! w00t
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #6
Control Defenders were not a problem for me if I took them one at a time and closed to melee quickly. I'd hide behind an obstacle, pop out and slash it, and then sneak up on the next one.

--------------------
====
====
Warrior
Member # 250
Profile #8
With my party of four

The altered beast was a nightmare. It tore up my warriors like paper, and it took me about 4 tries to put it down. The platebug queen was easy, I killed the normal platebugs in one hit, and the queen kept on running away while next to my two warriors resulting in free attacks. Can't wait to see what the next boss is like.
Shock Trooper
Member # 455
Profile #9
The only problem I've run into with a four-person party is boredom, and I've got all the combat skills and smarts that God gave three-toed sloths. As TM concluded in another thread, and as everybody complained after A3 came out, A3/BoA fighters don't have to do anything but super-specialize in strength (as long as the standard AI is involved). Well, strength, and a pinch or two of defense. There's no point building PCs to take more than one hit; just hit first yourself. During the scenario, I didn't spend a single skill point on endurance -- and not much on the weapons skills, either -- and had no trouble. It's an ugly and stupid way to build a party, but it's well-rewarded by the basic engine. I look forward to designers hauling the thing out of the water and rebuilding it.

[ Sunday, March 21, 2004 17:40: Message edited by: Boots ]

--------------------
Forgive them, for they are young and rich and white.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #10
The ensuing scenarios treat combat differently. And who uses parties, anyway? Still, the BoA Arena will come around and teach people how to make challenging monsters. And I might make an article on it too.

--------------------
====
====
Apprentice
Member # 3846
Profile #11
Drakefyre, is it not common to us a 4 person party? I'd hope that senario designers would balance their scenarios so that it would be challenging for a 4 person party, I think for the majority of players that is the default. Of course playing with less is more difficult, and it sounds like a lot of veterens like to do this, but I assume casual Avernum players will play with 4.

i don't like being called a wuss when playing with 4 guys. Sure combat was easy by the end, but 2-3 altered beast still posed a problem. And there have certainly been many combats in the avernum series that were quite a challenge, even with 4 chacters (ie killing emporer garzhad)
Warrior
Member # 28
Profile #12
What about that vampire and his buddies in the cave forest? I gave up after a couple tries (there couldn't have been much I would have gained). It must be suicide for a 1 pc party.

Even with the Brigand Archer buddy.
:cough:

--------------------
Getting kinda rusty, musty, and dusty around here.......
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #13
Nobody's calling anyone a wuss.

And while scenarios should be balanced for a four-PC party, it doesn't mean that the author's should ignore the possibility of a singleton playing it.

--------------------
====
====