Frostbite - HELP! *spoiler*

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Frostbite - HELP! *spoiler*
Apprentice
Member # 8410
Profile #0
First of all, great job Lazarus with your beatiful, well told, and simply thrilling scenario that is Frostbite.

So far has been very fun and VERY challenging. My first attempt was utter failure, not getting all herbs, not knowing the "checkpoints" hence wasting potions. I only got as far as to the banshees that kicked my butt.

In this second attempt I've got to the point where I'm surrounded by hordes of warg riders - and I have no clue whatsoever of how to survive that. When I saw what was going on I was sure the Beast would jump from a cliff scaring all the riders off, but, after a few textboxes, they just slaughter me.

Please tell me I've missed a secret trap door or something and that I don't have to fight off the whole lot.
Thanks in advance..
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #1
When that fight starts, you're supposed to stay out of combat mode. Just stay put and attack anything that comes near you and you should be fine.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #2
Am I really that transparent? :P

The objective is to hold out as long as you can, so just stand in the center of the circle and kill anyone who comes near. I've never tried staying out of combat mode, but I suppose that would negate the wargs' ap bonus which allows them to attack twice, plus it'd at least buy you a few turns before the wargs get to you. You should be able to beat this without many potions, but a hardiness philter and some healing elixirs couldn't hurt.

--------------------
"Heart of Earth located in Europe, Ass of Earth located in USA."

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #3
quote:
When that fight starts, you're supposed to stay out of combat mode. Just stay put and attack anything that comes near you and you should be fine.
Wow, that totally beat my strategy of giving up in frustration and using the character editor.

--------------------
Enraged Slith's Blades of Avernum Website
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #4
Originally by Lazarus:

quote:
Am I really that transparent? :P
What, should we have been waiting for an army of highlanders to show up, send the hobgoblins packing, and then invite the unit to their village for chicken soup and herbal tea? :P

Dikiyoba.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #5
Not a village, a camp where they barter with you and teach alchemy and all sorts of nifty highland-ish stuff.... Not that I was ever considering that, or that you were remarkably close to the original script or anything.....

[ Sunday, August 12, 2007 21:08: Message edited by: Lazarus. ]

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 8410
Profile #6
Thanks alot. In my third retry of this scenario I've managed to not use a single pot yet (Erasmus dead).

Btw, what is up with that Fire Draught - I found I wasted lot's herbs thinking it was remotely useful which, I find, it isn't.

--------------------
A blunt object suddenly crashing into your skull saves you the trouble of falling asleep.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #7
Fire draught seems to be the most ineffective potion of the lot. You can get through the game without using it.

*spoiler* you will find that it doesn't change the ending.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #8
It's pretty much useless. The only "plus" about it is that it only takes one ingredient to make, and it's a fairly common ingredient. Then again icicle moss is used in a lot of potions, including several really useful ones, so you should be able to find better uses for it (Like making healing elixirs instead of healing potions.)

I hope your multiple restarts haven't ruined your experience. The ending will make it worthwhile-- no really! :P

[ Monday, August 13, 2007 12:47: Message edited by: Lazarus. ]

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 8410
Profile #9
No, it's alright. It' a while since I played any BoA so just had to get the feel back.
Anyway I have one last question.
What would be smart to spend my skillpoints on?
And must I use them in the beginning - I've seen no other safe-place to train.

--------------------
A blunt object suddenly crashing into your skull saves you the trouble of falling asleep.
Apprentice
Member # 8410
Profile #10
Weee! I got through it.. that encounter at least and I have several herbs left - but dammit I used a Hardiness Philter just before the last text :mad:
The trick about not going into combat worked awesomely. Evrey tore everything to bits before they could get to me :D

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #11
You can train at campsites and such. As far as what to do with your points, it's up to you. Luck is good since it gives elemental protection as well as the chance to luck out, dexterity/melee weapons are good for the extra damage and to-hit, and if you're wearing the heavier armors and are losing AP, defense is good. I'd avoid strength though, since its only advantage is damage, and most monsters will take two hits to kill even if you do boost your strength.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #12
You forgot first aid so you can actually heal yourself a significant amount. You can use the first aid kit by clicking on the symbol in inventory and as a once a day power by typing "u" and then "b."
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #13
Very true. Then again once you're past the hobgoblins you've kind of wasted your chance to get the full affect from it. If you invest in it from the beginning you can save some healing herbs, but by this point the heavy exhaustion/hypothermia damage you're taking makes first aid measly in comparison. At least it's dirt cheap for the first few levels, so it's good for putting any extra points in.

--------------------