Frostbite problem

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Frostbite problem
Apprentice
Member # 8404
Profile #0
Note: I once was known as 'The Real Dragon King' however, a little email problem caused that to die -- so you'll know that I am *not* new!!!

Now the problem...

I am playing Frostbite and I am at the section where 'Vincent' has just talked to a crack on the northern wall. After moving, I view the semi-long cut scene -- right after our hero and friend gets saved they then go down the trapdoor, I then see Vincent standing to the left of the ladder leading up........

Unhandled Exception : c0000005
at address : 0048d077

the completed report is:

BLADES OF AVERNUM caused an invalid page fault in module
BLADES OF AVERNUM.EXE at 0167:0048d077.
Registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=0167 EIP=0048d077 EFLGS=00010286
EBX=ffffffff SS=016f ESP=00edf628 EBP=00edf878
ECX=ffffffff DS=016f ESI=00000044 FS=1ad7
EDX=00000000 ES=016f EDI=00000044 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
f2 ae bb fe ff ff ff 29 cb e9 db 00 00 00 83 45
Stack dump:
e0000000 1f67c99b 00000000 00babb8e
0000000e 00babb90 00edf863 00edf864
00000001 00487300 00000000 00000000
000001a4 000000d8 00000000 00edf72a

Please, I would like to finish this easy little game -- if if helps, I on a PC.

Thanks in advanced --- James

--------------------
This is only a test

Had this been an actual emergency, you would have been told where to deposited the 30,000 (US) into my Swiss bank account.

Again, this is only a test!
Warrior
Member # 4599
Profile #1
I suffer from the same problem in the same place. I gave up on it because I thought my computer was just being stupid, like usual. I hope somebody has an idea, I would love to finish Frostbite myself.

--------------------
"Yeah-- you're right. You christians are far too persecuted nowadays. I mean it. We really should stop feeding you to the lions." --TM

"Ancient Blessings" My unfinished (and likely to remain that way) BoA scenario.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #2
This is a known error, and is mentioned in the Readme. I have no idea what causes it, except that it only happens to non-prefab parties. If you have a save file from before you are stripped of your weapons (whacked and thrown in jail), load it and dump all your gear. Hopefully it'll allow you to proceed.

It seems that this 'little' error is getting in the way of multiple people, so I'm going to do a bit more research into this. Hopefully I can have a better answer for you soon.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Warrior
Member # 4599
Profile #3
Thanks, and I apologize for not reading the readme.

I'm going to try a new party, and see if I can't get past it this time.

--------------------
"Yeah-- you're right. You christians are far too persecuted nowadays. I mean it. We really should stop feeding you to the lions." --TM

Apprentice
Member # 8404
Profile #4
Thanks, I'll just have to wait or take my one person party out and try again, for I saved inside the jail cell.

Hope a fix can to be found.. again thanks

James

--------------------
This is only a test

Had this been an actual emergency, you would have been told where to deposited the 30,000 (US) into my Swiss bank account.

Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #5
I think I know what's causing this now, and it doesn't have to do with items. Before I release a fix, however, I'd like to ask you two (and anyone else who's experienced this problem) about the character you were using. By any chance was he a spell caster? (Or any other character with lots of spells, or high level spells)

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 8404
Profile #6
I normally play with a 4 person party where each member is a warrior/mage/priest combo -- however for this game, just one person warrior/mage/priest combo.

What can I say -- I like my combo's and the 4 person party are in their upper 50's.

Hope this helps --- James

--------------------
This is only a test

Warrior
Member # 4599
Profile #7
More interested in story then in combat, I first attempted this scenario with a god singleton. This has never caused problems before, but I guess that could be the reason. My spells are 100 or higher with that guy.

I tried once more with a buffed up singleton (high spells), and I still couldn't get past this part. I think I'm just going to create a new character and use the prefab option.

EDIT: I would like to add that I do enjoy this scenario, and have been flustered that I can't finish it. I hope to rate it when I'm done.

[ Sunday, April 01, 2007 02:59: Message edited by: Commodore Redmark ]

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #8
Version 1.0.2 is now out, it can be downloaded from my site or SV. I believe it fixes this problem (at the expense of simply removing all your character's spells. FB already screws with your party so much I figured I might as well) Still, this bug seems completely random-- I never check spell levels in the entire scenario, and have no idea why having spells would make the scenario crash, or why it would choose this spot to consistently do so. As per usual, I blame Jeff. :D

So yeah, I think its fixed. If anybody experienced this problem with the new version, or if any designers have the slightest idea why this happens, please speak up.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 8404
Profile #9
Many thanks for the newer version -- just downloaded it.

You don't mind if I restore his magic after dropping down the trapdoor??

What can I say.... I love magic.... :D

James

--------------------
This is only a test

Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #10
As far as I know, the crash only happens at that one spot. Then again, nobody using a magic wielding character has ever made it past that point, so far all I know it could do it again later.

My advice-- save before you restore anything. Or even better, restore them when the scenario is over.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 6001
Profile #11
I have not a crash but a basical error. «the game failed to load this graphic sheet 500, icon 34 ...», hence I can see neither Erasmus, Captain Burden, Orrin nor the hobgoblins, I walk on black floor instead of snow and the herbs are invisible.
Well, it's a common PC vs. Mac-problem, but how can I fix that? I am on Mac OS 9.2

Also, I can move merely very slow: around 1-2 sec. for one pace. Fights are slow-motion.

Plus: I stick definitely in the wolf den. Me fetched fire wood, came back, Erasmus and Rowly killed, and now I wait at the fire, talked to everybody, walked in circles ... nothing happens ....
I see in the files that there should be an option «sleep» or «stay awake» - why doesn't it work in the game?

--------------------
* add anything meaningful here
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #12
Well clearly it's a graphics problem, and frankly I can't do anything about it. You had the same problem with TV apparently, I don't know why you're having souch troubles with this. Perhaps you should download the windows version and convert the graphics yourself using Niemand's graphic adjuster 2.

As for the sleeping problem, if you talk to Orrin and Fabian you can sleep. Make sure to hit all the topics of conversation.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #13
Where is the firewood? I've been looking everywhere for it.

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #14
You have to cross the stream, make your way up to the hot springs, and fight the hobgoblins. There should be a tree or two that look different and that's where you get firewood from.

Dikiyoba forgets exactly how you get the firewood. If just getting close to them doesn't work, then try searching them.
Apprentice
Member # 6001
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Lazarus:
:
Well clearly it's a graphics problem, and frankly I can't do anything about it. You had the same problem with TV apparently, I don't know why you're having souch troubles with this. Perhaps you should download the windows version and convert the graphics yourself using Niemand's graphic adjuster 2.

Niemand's program is made for OS X; my BoA-copy runs on OS 9. I tried to fiddle with ResEdit, but was not able to get useful results ...

Anyway, I managed to fight my path through invisible foes (in slow motion) as far as the cliff. Seems to be a fantastic, breath taking scenario. Too bad I could see so little ;_;

Why have I that graphic problem not with other, on PCs designed scenarios?
BTW: in both scenarios which I cannot play (Amnesia and Frostbite) I found cmg-files without data.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Meter Maid:

BTW: in both scenarios which I cannot play (Amnesia and Frostbite) I found cmg-files without data.
What version of Stuffit Expander are you using to decompress the scenarios? Try updating to the most recent version that will run on your computer.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #17
Ha! There's your problem! I remember some ways back when it was mentioned that compressing CMGs would sometimes corrupt them, making them empty. Unfortunately, I think the solution was re-downloading and re-installing the scenario in question.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #18
It was definitely compressed okay -- I just tried downloading it from nethergate.net and the CMG came out fine. Whatever the problem is, it's on her end. If redownloading doesn't work, it's likely the decompression utility that's at fault, in which case somebody is going to have to recompress it in a different format before she can use it.

[ Thursday, April 05, 2007 18:22: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 6401
Profile #19
Lazarus, I just tried to download Dilecia from your site and the link is broken. I got it from Tyranicus' site instead.

Looking forward to playing it and Frostbite.

Edit: Oh and Tyranicus, on the database the 'rate it' links for Kill Prize, Win Ogre and Stairway don't work. (I'm guessing you just haven't got round to making them yet.) Very useful database.

[ Thursday, April 05, 2007 22:23: Message edited by: Thin Air ]

--------------------
I think this is really wonderful.
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #20
The links don't work because I deleted his ratings topics. He's not allowed to just come in and make rating topics. Only mods there (such as myself) may do that. I'm not abandoning the rules because the forum is almost dead.

Maybe I'm being a little uptight considering the forum's popularity, but he could at least ask..

[ Friday, April 06, 2007 04:04: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Warrior
Member # 6401
Profile #21
Oh right. I just meant I assumed he hadn't got round to making the links to the topics yet, as the topics ARE there.

I don't spend much time at the Lyceum and so didn't notice who created them.

--------------------
I think this is really wonderful.
Apprentice
Member # 6001
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

What version of Stuffit Expander are you using to decompress the scenarios? Try updating to the most recent version that will run on your computer.
WOW! Thank you, Thuryl, that was the glitch.
I used Stuffit 7 which is the latest version for OS9 and didn't work with Frostbite's cmg. But I have also OSX (which I hate) - and with Stuffit 10.0 the cmg came undamaged!
WOAH! Now I can run around in genuine snow, see Orrin and Sergant Burden, and I suppose I'll see the hobgoblins too! ^____^ dance and yodel

@Lazarus: Maybe you should add in your Read me that it is not possible to download Frostbite with Mac OS9 ...

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #23
I think you'll find Frostbite much more enjoyable now that you can see it. :P

Is this a problem I should fix, or is it a fairly uncommon occurence? Do most CMGs come compressed as the one in FB, or are they in some other format that doesn't cause this problem?

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by The Gators Win it All....... Again:

Is this a problem I should fix, or is it a fairly uncommon occurence? Do most CMGs come compressed as the one in FB, or are they in some other format that doesn't cause this problem?
The basic problem is that Stuffit royally sucks and keeps making versions with poor backwards compatibility. (Also that Jeff is a dinosaur and insists on using resource forks.) The best option is probably to compress it in the first place with the oldest version of Stuffit you can find. You could try compressing it with something like MacBinaryConverter, which will probably lead to larger file sizes but should open properly in any version of Stuffit Expander.

[ Friday, April 06, 2007 18:39: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------

Pages