Scenario Contest Final Results

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Scenario Contest Final Results
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #0
Final Rankings
1st: Echoes: Renegade by Terror's Martyr
2nd: Embers of Rebellion by Ephesos
3rd: Magus of Cattalon by Smoo
4th: Dilecia by Lazarus
5th: Rats Aplenty by Smoo
6th: A Perfect Forest by Stareye
7th: The Final Spire by Bain-Ihrno
8th: Exodus by Kelandon

Other Entries
A Good Beginning by Nikki
Redwall by Gizmo
Where the Rivers Meet by Thralni

Congratulations to all winners and thanks to all designers and judges. Utilities will be judged soon.

[ Monday, January 08, 2007 16:32: Message edited by: *i ]

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #1
Once again, congrats TM. Five years you've waited....and you finally won an annual contest. (Not to mention TM also won the rankings contest this year) Also congrats to Ephesos, EoR was very nice. Really, congrats to everyone for designing. And thanks to Stareye for having the contest. :)

7th place...that's not too bad. Just encouragement to make the next one even better. :)

Interestingly enough, ND also had 7th place in the 7th contest, but of course ND was nowhere close to the other entries.

Well, I'll start trivia at the Lyceum for these now..

[ Monday, January 08, 2007 15:14: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #2
Congrats to everybody, especially TM. Looking forward to next year, I'll have a better showing.

Oh, and I assume that my large cash prize is already on the way.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #3
TM has requested that his Large Cash Prize be sent in liquid form, preferably fermented and in great volume.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #4
Congratulations, TM.

There was also talk of a script contest. Is that still on the table?

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers Meet
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
Congrats to TM. My opinions of these results are obvious and probably better left unsaid.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #6
Yay! Send my cash in the form of a flock of pigeons.

(Gloats over finally beating Smoo in a contest)

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #7
Congratulations to all of you who participated! This contest line-up contained a lot of great work.

And here I am having yet to officially finish a single scenario. . . grumble, grumble, etc. That'll all change soon though.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #8
For the record, I wouldn't use the word finally when there's only been two contests. I didn't think I'd win anyway. Congrats all around.

--------------------
These are my scenarios. I may have too much free time but I really don't care.
Backwater Calls, Magus of Cattalon, Rats Aplenty
Get them here
Visit The Lyceum for all your rating needs.
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #9
Congratulations TM!! You really deserve it. I'd smother you with love, too, but I know how much you hate it. So I won't... today.

Congratulations to all the other designers. Keep up the good work.

idk Kel. For all my grumblings, I kinda liked your scenario. Then again I had the fortune of having that engine bug help me out in combat. I appreciate the hard work you put into it. Looking on the bright side, it'll always be better then Redwall. :P

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #10
I don't think there will be many complaints with those, except possibly from TM for even being considered in the same league as us lot...

Congratulations to everybody, especially Kel, who I think had the hardest time of it - Exodus was definitely better than Bahs in my opinion, and certainly needed to be higher up the rankings.

Of course, I will trounce all of you thoroughly in the 1/10 contest :P

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #11
Just to be certain, i didn't win anything, did I? The fact that my scenario is written as last in "other entries" is not meaningfull, or is it?

Just curious.

For the rest, congrats to the winners. I'll play your scenarios when I have the time.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #12
Other entries implies that those scenarios did not advance to the final round and were not ranked as such. I think most people agree that WtRM is a great effort, but still lacking the polish of the finalists.

I agree, Kel's scenario probably should have ranked higher due to sheer effort alone. The judges were asked to rank scenarios on how much they enjoyed them. This is where Exodus fell, the judges (myself included) did not have a good time playing it. Some were outright offended by certain parts.

Granted, the 8 judges may have been totally unique and a special section of the community. However, when all of them rated it poorly, it becomes implausible to think that this be the case. This indicates a fundamental problem with the scenario itself. While an impressive effort, it fails the test of audience enjoyment.

I will say that I've been there ala Spy's Quest. In fact, Exodus and Spy's Quest have a lot in common. Granted Exodus is a lot better in terms of quality, it does suffer from the same Spy's Quest Syndrome -- all technical wizardry and little fun. However, in this we hopefully learn something. Mistakes are even more valuable than successes.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
TM has requested that his Large Cash Prize be sent in liquid form, preferably fermented and in great volume.
Does this count?
IMAGE(http://www.argon-direct.com/dfds%20images/Bottle%20of%20Champagne.jpg)
Congrats all.

--------------------
Elan: So... are you going to eat my brain?
Mind flayer: (Sniffs.) No, I'm cool, thanks.
(OotS #30)
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by *i:

Other entries implies that those scenarios did not advance to the final round and were not ranked as such. I think most people agree that WtRM is a great effort, but still lacking the polish of the finalists.
Okay, that's what I wanted to know.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #15
I'd like to say that I think that the middle 6 were pretty evenly matched, in my opinion, and where they placed really depended on the judge's tastes.

I'll get the community history updated whenever I can, I won't have much spare time this week.

[ Tuesday, January 09, 2007 12:26: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

My opinions of these results are obvious and probably better left unsaid.
Is there any place where you would explain or have explained your opinions in detail? I'd wouldn't mind reading through that.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Apprentice
Member # 7796
Profile #17
I am formally sorry for what happened to Exodus-- even if it may have deserved last in terms of what people enjoy, I cannot begin to fathom the designer of so many towns getting screwed over as such. Or rather-- maybe I can, but it's still not any good. I voted BS2 last myself, but not knowing how badly it would be lambasted by everyone else. So even if I'm glad to win, sorry that BS2 lost this badly-- and anyway, to anyone who designs, good job. A rating of 1.01 is higher than most *******s in this community have earned, so pat yourselves on the back and know that you're better than them.

*Takes another swig*
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Kuber:

quote:

My opinions of these results are obvious and probably better left unsaid.
Is there any place where you would explain or have explained your opinions in detail? I'd wouldn't mind reading through that.

PM. That's about it.

Needless to say, though, I'm done designing. I may or may not actually release v1.0.1 of Exodus — it hardly seems like it matters at this point anyway — but that's it.

[ Tuesday, January 09, 2007 18:24: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #19
Well, I'm sorry to hear that, Kel. Whatever individual members think of your work, I can think of very few scenarios that I've heard as much acclaim for as I have for Bahssikava, and certainly no BoA scenarios. Certainly you are on the relatively short list of noteworthy scenario designers.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #20
I echo Slarty's comments. Perhaps some time away will do good. I know for me, time away from TM scenario's did me good. I originally hated them for a number of reasons that tok away from my enjoyment of playing them. I later revisited and they went well up in my esteem for their technical wizardry. In fact, my appreciation of the effort in designing greatly increased my appreciation in playing. I have yet to play Exodus so I cannot comment specifically on it but you are one of my favorite creators. Your input would sorely be missed.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #21
Kel - I respect your decision, but am disappointed. You are an invaluable asset, and despite my problems playing through Exodus, on the whole I find your work to be very enjoyable. I sincerely hope that you take some time, remember that designing is a rewarding effort, and that you eventually see that reception of this one scenario is not reflective of community opinion of your portfolio as a whole.

In short, the community would suffer a grave loss with your departure.

--------------------
quote:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #22
The list of contest winners has been updated.

Comments about how well-received my scenarios have been and how much people like them would seem more sincere if my scenarios had actually been well-received and if people actually liked them.

I'd very much appreciate it if no one made another post like Slarty's, Fatman's, or Salmon's. If you have something to say, say it by e-mail or PM.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #23
Oh, for crying out loud!!!

You, sir, will have a PM from me. But only because of the CoC.

Edit: Correction, your box is full. You will have an e-mail instead.

[ Wednesday, January 10, 2007 05:59: Message edited by: Jewels ]

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #24
Well, I guess we should have remembered Aran's warning, that this contest endangers the poor, fluffy kittens.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00

Pages