The Bad Get Polling!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Bad Get Polling!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #125
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Still, I don't think I've written a really memorable villain in a scenario.
Oh, they've been memorable, alright. Just not in the way most people would want. :P

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #126
Eh. My villain's probably gonna suck too. Oh well. Baby steps, I guess.

It's my first scenario. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Maybe if it's worth the time it would take I'll go back and polish it up sometime after the release.

[ Friday, October 27, 2006 14:03: Message edited by: Nemesis ]

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #127
I was joking. Although now that I think about it, if I did replace the villain in my upcoming scenario with a generic demon lord then the scenario would be absolutely horrible.

I have actually considered making a demon scenario that would concentrate on why the demons are "evil." I'll probably never make it though since it would just turn out to be another monster plague scenario. And I'm up to here with (my) monster plague scenarios.

Edit:
quote:
Attorosi fared poorly because... well, no offense, but he's a rat. You would really have to pull out all the stops to make a top class villain with a rat.
But he's a very big rat... I suppose you weren't intimidated by his threats then.

[ Saturday, October 28, 2006 03:09: Message edited by: Smoo ]

--------------------
These are my scenarios. I may have too much free time but I really don't care.
Backwater Calls, Magus of Cattalon, Rats Aplenty
Get them here
Visit The Lyceum for all your rating needs.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #128
quote:
Originally written by Smoo:

But he's a very big rat... I suppose you weren't intimidated by his threats then.
Not really. Big rats are just big rats. Even if they can project images of sad dogs and cast spells. ;)

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers Meet
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #129
But the narrator was scary. Dikiyoba was terrified of the narrator.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #130
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

But the narrator was scary. Dikiyoba was terrified of the narrator.
Yeah, he was a little frightening. Especially when he smote my L66 party without so much as an afterthought.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #131
The narrator? I don't remember meeting the narrator in the beta...

By Smoo:
quote:
I have actually considered making a demon scenario that would concentrate on why the demons are "evil." I'll probably never make it though since it would just turn out to be another monster plague scenario. And I'm up to here with (my) monster plague scenarios.
Speak of the... demon. This sounds like the puny scenario that I'm constantly revising and will never be released. Just be glad I didn't release what I had half a year ago...

(Shudder.)

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
If my Legions of Terror are defeated in a battle, I will quietly withdraw and regroup instead of launching a haphazard mission to assassinate the hero.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #132
When I first got the game, I started making a tiny little scenario about the Ritual of Registration, and you had to perform it against the Shareware Demon. I did this after I had played the full extent of the Av 1-3 and BoA demos. Then I came to my senses and realized how ridiculous I was being.

--------------------

-Lenar

Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #133
I think that sounds like fun. I would play it if I had BOA.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #134
What interests me is that everyone is so careful to only release good scenarios. BoE has quite a few pieces of crap, and the author not only learned from the mechanical aspect of the process, but by the critical reviews of the the work.

So, by all means work on those scenarios, and finish them. Once released, they can only make you a better designer. Or kill you. Either's possible.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #135
quote:
Originally written by Andraste:

I think that sounds like fun. I would play it if I had BOA.
Correction: You would play it if you had BoA, if I ever bothered to complete it. :P

Seriously though, you like the idea? Hmm. Perhaps I used to be more creative, and now I mistake that creativity for complete insanity.

Well, I'll give some thought to going back and finishing it. I think I have to start from square one again, because I probably deleted it.

--------------------

-Lenar

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #136
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

quote:
Speak of the... demon. This sounds like the puny scenario that I'm constantly revising and will never be released.

It also sounds a lot like Khoth's BoE scenario, which is called, appropriately enough, Demon. (No monster plagues, though.)

[ Tuesday, October 31, 2006 01:28: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #137
quote:
Originally written by Spookee Salmon:

What interests me is that everyone is so careful to only release good scenarios. BoE has quite a few pieces of crap, and the author not only learned from the mechanical aspect of the process, but by the critical reviews of the the work.

So, by all means work on those scenarios, and finish them. Once released, they can only make you a better designer. Or kill you. Either's possible.

Moreover, even if your scenario is really good, most people are going to call it a piece of crap anyway. By all means, make bad scenarios: most of the philistines here won't be able to tell the difference anyway. :P

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #138
I don't know if my villain will be considered any good. I'm aiming for trying to make the party somewhat sympathetic to the villain's cause, yet they still hate his guts. Whether I pull it off is yet to be seen.

I know this isn't related, Kelandon, but I sent you a PM a week ago about your scenario.

[ Tuesday, October 31, 2006 08:45: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #139
I know that you sent me a PM. I like to respond to comments in bundles, and no one else has sent any sort of notes at all since the most recent version went up.

Meh, I'll reply to it now.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #140
By Salmon:
quote:

I'm not too sure. I'm not going to beat myself up if I release a scenario that everyone hates; it'll be a learning experience, as you said. However, I can look at my scenario and see a lot that is wrong with it now. I'm not a perfectionist, and the scenario is puny anyways (one outdoor and four towns), but I'm not going to release something I know I'll regret (I'd rather release something I think I'll regret). If I wanted to, I could put several hours into my scenario straight, and then send out the beta. But after hearing Ephesos say that DoK could have been better if he didn't rush it, I'm not going to attempt to make the deadline.

Of course, second year workload might have something to do with it too.

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
I will be selective in the hiring of assassins. Anyone who attempt to strike down the hero the first instant his back is turned will not even be considered for the job.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #141
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

But after hearing Ephesos say that DoK could have been better if he didn't rush it, I'm not going to attempt to make the deadline.
Rushing is relative... three weeks, however, was just insane. Three weeks from basically nothing to everything. So if you've already got a fair amount done, the deadline is completeld doable.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #142
Well, I won't let any suckiness that I observe keep me from releasing ItSoD. However, with my complete and sudden change of schedule, there aren't many solid blocks of time that I can use to complete it. So maybe it'll get done by the competition, or maybe I'll just have to wait until the next one anyway.

--------------------

-Lenar

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #143
Originally by Dintiradan:

quote:
But after hearing Ephesos say that DoK could have been better if he didn't rush it, I'm not going to attempt to make the deadline.
But on the other hand, DoK isn't bad the way it is now. Spend a few hours on it to get it done, wait a few days before you take another look at it, spend another few hours fixing it up, and release it for beta testing. You may regret it releasing it later on, but you've been around long enough and put enough thought into it already that we players won't regret that you released it. Besides, it might be helpful to have a few beta testers to look at it and give a few suggestions.

Dikiyoba.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #144
quote:
Originally written by Demoniac Dikiyoba:

You may regret it releasing it later on, but you've been around long enough and put enough thought into it already that we players won't regret that you released it.
Yeah, in order for us to regret the release, it'd have to be really, really, really bad. Like Proving Grounds bad. :P

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #145
By Ephesos:
quote:
Rushing is relative... three weeks, however, was just insane. Three weeks from basically nothing to everything. So if you've already got a fair amount done, the deadline is completeld doable.
quote:
Of course, second year workload might have something to do with it too.
--------------------
'Nuff said.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #146
This was too fun to not *bump*!

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Pages