If you could do it over...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: If you could do it over...
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #0
If you could build your scenario(s) from scratch again, what would you change about it?

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #1
Gah, I'd remove the contrived plot device of "proving yourself" from DoK. And I'd have done an actual round of beta testing... and I would've smoothed out the look of the Upper Temple so that it looked a bit more tree-like.

Oh, and I'd have looked for more interesting trees, like I always do.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
This topic is in the BoA forum, but I hope nobody minds me talking about my BoE scenario.

I'd have made the ending less wordy, fleshed out the antagonists a little more, and spread Synaesthesia out over all three dream sequences instead of throwing it at the player all at once.

[ Monday, September 25, 2006 21:17: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #3
Backwater Calls: Let's see, I'd try to flesh out the demons more. (Even though they are demons, I'd try.) I'd probably remove either the sliths or undead, maybe work with the goblins some more. I'd make the outdoors more compact. Maybe add some more stuff involving the rebels. I'd come up with another reason for the player to be in the valley. And finally I wouldn't make the scenario.

Magus of Cattalon: Hmm... I suppose I could make Polonius reveal the thing involving the blessing and the children. The nephilim could have used a bit more work too. There was more but I can't remember them now.

Rats Aplenty: Currently I have no major gripes about Rats Aplenty. They'll come, though.

--------------------
These are my scenarios. I may have too much free time but I really don't care.
Backwater Calls, Magus of Cattalon, Rats Aplenty
Get them here
Visit The Lyceum for all your rating needs.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #4
AGB - I would have made it longer. Much longer. The bad guy would have killed others, and there would be a nice twist where the player thought that somebody else was doing it. Otherwise, it's not *that* bad.

With TV, I'm trying to get lots and lots of dialogue, and characters the player will care about. Which means I'll probably hate it for being too wordy,

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #5
Though WtRM is just released, I'll already comment on it by saying what i don't like:

The plot. It's too standard. For the rest i'd tried to give some characters in the scenario something a bit more special, that at least the key characters stand out a bit more.

I don't have anything to say yet about my second scenario.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Smoo:

Backwater Calls: ... I wouldn't make the scenario.
While BC could have been better, it certainly wasn't a bad scenario. Besides, most first efforts tend to be under par.

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #7
Heck, I haven't started alpha testing LoD in ernest, and I already hate parts of it.

--------------------
Look! Boobs! Don't you like boobs? Don't you want to pay attention to the girl with boobs?

C'mom, this always works with my teachers...
- Julia (OotS)
Infiltrator
Member # 2104
Profile Homepage #8
I wouldn't have started it so soon. I had big plans for it, but inexperience with the editor and vague ideas/images of it made me rush into the finished project. I've considered redo it to my original design, but that'd be just silly.

D:

As a side thought, I would not have made my BoE scenarios until I was older, 'cause they really sucked. : (

[ Saturday, September 30, 2006 17:50: Message edited by: Millicent, Dear Millicent ]

--------------------
—Zxquez Zolohahni
Xerch'de/Rate.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #9
I've posted long, rambling tracts on what I did and didn't like about each of my scenarios on the Lyceum's boards. Here are the highlights of the negatives (or the lowlights, I guess):

Bahssikava: the combat was varied for me, but not for the player. Each fight has a slight designing gimmick, but it doesn't affect the player's strategy enough. I would more dramatically modify how the player has to fight each combat, and I'd probably make the enemies of more varied species. I'd also tie it all together more: Galthrax sort of came out of nowhere.

Lord Putidus: I'm not sure. I tend to disagree with most of the criticisms of the scenario. Maybe I can agree that it was too short — it probably would've benefited from being about two or three times as long. More exploration of the virtues that the scenario was mostly concerned with would've been nice. I guess I also could've made the floor paths more obvious in the castle, but at the time, I wasn't sure how to do that.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #10
Agadia Isle: I would NOT have used undead as one of the main attackers. Then again, I needed variety. Undead provide variety. Gorgons and Netherspiders don't.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #11
(About my BoE scenarios, SPOILERS! The full titles are in my signature.)

FER: I'd make the whole plot less laughable, I'd explain how/why King Micah became a super-powered warrior, and I'd add much more depth and dialogue. Most importantly, you WOULD NOT cross the lake by holding onto Sliths' tails.

ND: I wouldn't release it. :P Seriously, I felt the main problem here was I tried to make an 'upgrade' of FER. I felt I tried to use some of the same parts, and do them right this time. While I mostly succeded in this regard, I didn't make the plot better, and I really should have done things totally new here. I also would balance treasure a little better.

tFS: I would make all the characters human, no Nephils, Sliths, or Vahnatai. I'd probably write dialogue more efficently, get all the bugs out on the first round, and make the battle with Eltus harder. (I was also thinking that if I made the characters human, I could add a love story, but it would have to fit in with the rest of the plot, and it would have to 'work', too. ;) ) Unlike my previous scenarios, I will say this is a good scenario. In fact, I'm feeling confident of it doing well in this upcoming contest.

Thanks for posting the topic. This is a perfect place for looking at exactly what you did wrong, sharing, and improving. :)

[ Tuesday, September 26, 2006 17:30: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #12
Glad to be of assistance.

I'm really doubting my plot. An independent nation outside the empire?

Actually, now that I've written it down, it sounds excellent.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

Undead provide variety.
GYAH!!!!!

(points at Undead Valley, and collapses into wailing and gnashing of teeth)

Ahem... sorry. But gorgons are an under-used creature, honestly. With any luck, I'll slip one or two into DoK2 (which will hopefully fix some of the stuff that DoK had wrong with it).

--------------------

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #14
In fact, gorgons are so under-used, I'm not even sure I know what they're supposed to be or do.

Dikiyoba.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #15
Gorgons and netherspiders can be interesting if developed. In Exile, Gorgons were just big monsters with no real story. Definitely an open opportunity here.

[ Tuesday, September 26, 2006 20:54: Message edited by: *i ]

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #16
I seem to remember gorgons hanging out with gremlins in Exile 3. They breathed a sleep cloud or something. I can't even remember if they did this in Avernum 3 or if they even hung out with gremlins. Or maybe I'm confusing them with something else.
quote:
While BC could have been better, it certainly wasn't a bad scenario. Besides, most first efforts tend to be under par.
Maybe. But if I were to make BC today, I wouldn't make it. The only reason I made it in the first place was to familiarize myself with the editor. The plot is lacking (what plot?) and I just don't see why I would want to make it.
quote:
Heck, I haven't started alpha testing LoD in ernest, and I already hate parts of it.
That is a very healthy attitude. But don't be shocked if someone actually *gasp* likes your scenario when you release it!

--------------------
These are my scenarios. I may have too much free time but I really don't care.
Backwater Calls, Magus of Cattalon, Rats Aplenty
Get them here
Visit The Lyceum for all your rating needs.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #17
In the Avernum series, gorgons trap your characters in a forcecage. Or beat them into a pulp. In my scenario, there are Brutal gorgons, who's hits paralyze you, and gorgon lords, who petrify you.

Gorgon lords come closest to the greek myth of gorgons. Gorgons were... well actually, all you need to know is that Medusa was a gorgon.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #18
The gorgon graphic is sadly lacking... it just doesn't look terrifying enough for something that can petrify you (or at least should be able to).

And of course, slith avatars look like gorgons... so are gorgons really horrible slith/basilisk hybrids?

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

And of course, slith avatars look like gorgons... so are gorgons really horrible slith/basilisk hybrids?
No. It's just that the graphics are messed up in BoA because of the corescendata script. Kel mentioned this somewhere, but I don't know where off-hand.

Slith Avatars in A1-3 looked totally different.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Oscar Wilde xx:

No. It's just that the graphics are messed up in BoA because of the corescendata script. Kel mentioned this somewhere, but I don't know where off-hand.

Slith Avatars in A1-3 looked totally different.

I was aware of this actually, and was attempting to make a joke. I see that I failed.

(sulks in corner)

--------------------

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #21
Kermit had it right.

It ain't easy being green.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.