Is this Plot Overcliche?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Is this Plot Overcliche?
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #25
I don't know if I ever have time to write a scenario in either BoA or BoE, but a scenario with demons seems to me an interesting challenge, when they are good and you are bad. Still, the Karma of Avernum/Exile is not for such fireblooded creatures like Demons should find the roots of their ancestors there. I think that the good ones should origin from some surface (Ermarian unexplored, other neighbour planets with portals to Avernum, etc.) and those met in Avernum are the same exiles, outlaws of their nation.

More to say, it's only in Avernum I heard of Demons as of the undead. I see it that way that if you thrust an aspen picket in a humans heart, unsurprisingly he will die like a vampire does. That's why Repel Spirit of high level cleares them off. IMO.
BTW I never saw a female demon. Are there any in BoE scenario Demon? Will there be any in Dastal's game?

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

quote:
Originally written by Dastal:

Well, cannon says that Demons where what were found in Exile/Avernum when everyone came down, so I'm accepting cannon.
I actually like the idea of accepting cannons into Avernum canon. It'd make things a bit more interesting, as I expect that some of the caves would have rather lucrative saltpeter mines.

Originally written by Dikiyoba:
It's not too large a stretch, either, since exploding saltpeter boxes were present in A Small Rebellion.

Dikiyoba.

Only on Spiderweb...

Oh, and am I the only one who looked for some kind of joke in Infernal's "FYT" post? o_O

[ Wednesday, April 12, 2006 04:36: Message edited by: Kuranes- ]

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #27
Originally by Arancaytar:

quote:
Oh, and am I the only one who looked for some kind of joke in Infernal's "FYT" post? o_O
Dikiyoba did for a second and then realized that it was like a reverse post-FYT post set. Cannons are a joke in and of themselves.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #28
Fine with me too, as long as you keep it at cannons, and not move on too full automatic shotguns.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #29
Since Vahnatai have lasers, why shouldn't avernites have cannons? May be magic semi-automatic ones. Dragons leave enough sulphur, I guess. As for saltpeter, it did appear in a Small Rebellion.

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #30
By Ephesos:
quote:
Undead need a very good reason to exist. Otherwise, they die. Again.
FYT (just couldn't resist this one). :P

And yeah, now that I think about it, DwtD was far more annoying than Bahs.

EDIT: No cannons. I'm having horrifying flashbacks of Dungeon Siege (a not-so-temporary moment of insanity, I know). Goblins with mini-guns and flame-throwers. Arghhhhhhhhh!!!

--------------------
What kind of person would write "Aughhhhhhhhh" as he was dying?
Maybe he was dictating!
- Quest for the Holy Grail

[ Wednesday, April 12, 2006 06:35: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

Arghhhhhhhhh!!!
WHERE?? AHHH!
-flees in panic-

Oh, wait... nm...

In seriousness, I don't think that there's anything wrong with incorporating evolving technologies into the world of Avernum (saltpeter cannons, etc.).
We just need to make sure that we keep our developments in line, lest Ermarian go through an unprecedented industrial revolution.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin is thinking of changing his dress style to something a bit more modern.
I have told him on several occasions that pink bunny slippers are not the way to go.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #32
A soltpeter cannon? What on earth is that?

As for a canon, one should see all existing scenarios, based on history line, before he can include something of his own? Or canon based scenarios are just A1-A4, Bahssikava and four basic scenarios of BoA? :)

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai

Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Originally written by Lenar Labs:

We just need to make sure that we keep our developments in line, lest Ermarian go through an unprecedented industrial revolution.

An industrial revolution wouldn't be completely unprecedented. :)

However, I don't think canons and other gunpowder weapons are very realistic in a magic-heavy world of Avernum:

Early guns were very unreliable and slow to load. It took a long time to develop gunpowder that could explode well. It also took a long time time to develop guns that could be loaded sufficiently fast to fire more than once before the enemies get to you. In a world where any apprentice mage can cast a bolt of fire and any powerful wizard can use shockwave spell to damage enemy walls, governments wouldn't bother investing into early gunpowder research, because results would be inferior to available magic. So gunpowder-based weapons would never get a chance to develop to a point where they can compete with magic.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #34
It wouldn't be the Empire or Avernum making cannons, but rebellious splinter groups without mages might put in the effort.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #35
Hmmm... a Nethergate-esque scenario in the distant Ermarian future, with technology versus magic, could be interesting... it would have no similarities with the rest of the canon, though.

--------------------
No more English essays! Wheeeeeeeee!!!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #36
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

EDIT: No cannons. I'm having horrifying flashbacks of Dungeon Siege (a not-so-temporary moment of insanity, I know). Goblins with mini-guns and flame-throwers.
That was truly an unpleasant level... never got very far past it either. And then my hard drive died, torching my only save.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #37
In a world with magic, technology becomes a lot less necessary. Very few times have futuristic technology and magic been fused in a way that I find pleasing. Star Wars, of course is the exception to this rule, and every other rule.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #38
quote:
Originally written by Meeshka:

As for a canon, one should see all existing scenarios, based on history line, before he can include something of his own? Or canon based scenarios are just A1-A4, Bahssikava and four basic scenarios of BoA? :)
"Avernum canon" derives from A1-4 and the four Jeff-made BoA scenarios. Then there are certain "continuities": the Echoes continuity is one, which includes most of TM's scenarios. The Bahs (eventually the Bahs/Exodus) continuity is another, stemming from Bahssikava.

It's possible to make a scenario that does not contradict canon or any of the BoA continuities, but that may not always be completely necessary.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #39
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

In a world where any apprentice mage can cast a bolt of fire and any powerful wizard can use shockwave spell to damage enemy walls, governments wouldn't bother investing into early gunpowder research, because results would be inferior to available magic. So gunpowder-based weapons would never get a chance to develop to a point where they can compete with magic.
I read several times in some fiction novels about a revolution of another type. When anti-energy field is invented or a field, making any object, moving faster then the speed of sound, disappear. No weapon except molecular (thin in 1 molecula)swords will work there. In Avernum we can see a local anti-magic field. Trust me, if somebody wants, he can make an anti-magic aggregate to cover all Ermarian. So here is the reason for a cannon or sort of BAG7.92(Boutell autogun). :)

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai

The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #40
quote:
Trust me, if somebody wants, he can make an anti-magic aggregate to cover all Ermarian.
Prove it. :P

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #41
quote:
Originally written by *i:

quote:
Trust me, if somebody wants, he can make an anti-magic aggregate to cover all Ermarian.

*pulling out his dear PM 9mm*
No zelatory here, please. :D
By the way, I forgot to say that that field had a tendency to spread throughout and on the whole planet.
The only proof here can be is that I can name the novel and te story I mentioned, if anyone is interested. But since I highly doubt they are translated into English for most users here it is quite useless (sorry for tautology). Except I find enough time to translate them. :confused:
Cross my heart, I swear! (always wondered if "swear" and "swears" have the same origin)

Edit: some addition.

[ Thursday, April 13, 2006 21:59: Message edited by: Meeshka ]

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #42
Um... the odds that somebody would be able to do that before a melee fighter comes in and smashes face are low. Very, very low.

Besides, said field would probably require quite a bit of magical talent. Thus, whoever created it would nullify his/her strongest talent, removing a lot of the motivation for perpetrating such a puzzling act.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #43
quote:
Originally written by *i:

quote:

*whistles for TM to come*

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #44
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Um... the odds that somebody would be able to do that before a melee fighter comes in and smashes face are low. Very, very low.

Didn't quite get that. Whom was that for? Somebody would be able to do what?

quote:
Besides, said field would probably require quite a bit of magical talent. Thus, whoever created it would nullify his/her strongest talent, removing a lot of the motivation for perpetrating such a puzzling act.
I thought I don't need to say that if such field is ever invented, definitely no mage will be interested in using it. I never said it would be a mage. I don't think Kurchatov with his hydrogen bomb was interested...

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai

Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #45
quote:
Originally written by Meeshka:
*pulling out his dear PM 9mm*
9mm? Oh, please! My bulletproof vest can stop those even without the kevlar plates. So that means that even my groin is shielded against your pathetic weapon. *pulling out his 7.62 RK-95* Alright, it's technically not mine but I still get to shoot it.

And as for the original topic(s):

I don't mind demons. Hell, I used them and they had very little motivation other than we're evil and we can. I see you probably won't be making the same mistake. Good for you!

quote:
Originally written by Zevis:
However, I don't think canons and other gunpowder weapons are very realistic in a magic-heavy world of Avernum:

Early guns were very unreliable and slow to load. It took a long time to develop gunpowder that could explode well. It also took a long time time to develop guns that could be loaded sufficiently fast to fire more than once before the enemies get to you. In a world where any apprentice mage can cast a bolt of fire and any powerful wizard can use shockwave spell to damage enemy walls, governments wouldn't bother investing into early gunpowder research, because results would be inferior to available magic. So gunpowder-based weapons would never get a chance to develop to a point where they can compete with magic.

I dunno... Has anyone played Arcanum? Magic isn't available for everyone but even the stupidest dolt can pull a trigger *waves his hand excitedly* Even the most simple gunpowder-based weapon can kill a talented magic-user. Also everyone would benefit from steam engines and such and machines do not need sleep, food or ridiculously tall towers to boost their ego. So maybe governments wouldn't invest in that kind of research but maybe wealthy individuals would.

--------------------
These are my scenarios. I may have too much free time but I really don't care.
Backwater Calls, Magus of Cattalon, Rats Aplenty
Get them here
Visit The Lyceum for all your rating needs.

Pages