BUGS!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: BUGS!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #0
It's that time again! Yes, time to develop a comprehensive list of known bugs as of right now in BoA. You may ask, haven't we done this before? Yes, we have, and the most recent topic that I remember was this one.

Why do it again? I think it's useful for designers to know about all the features of the designing system, including the "undocumented features."

Here are some ground rules:

1. Bugs should be real bugs. That means you should be able to give precise instructions about how to reproduce them. They are not features that you wish were included but aren't. They must be things that don't work as described (or really ought to be described differently).

2. They should not already be listed either in this post or on Spiderweb's bugs page. We want new bugs, if they exist.

3. Ideally, I'd like to separate these into a few different categories: internal BoA bugs, editor bugs, and corescendata bugs.

4. If you have any further information about a bug (it's been fixed, for example), post and say so. Also, there are a few bugs here that I've never attempted to reproduce, so I have questions about them in parentheses after the bug. If anyone knows the answer, be sure to post to let me know.

Known undocumented bugs/problems in Mac-BoA v1.1.2 or Win-BoA v1.0.3:
Scripting problems
* Items don't stack when given via char_give_item (so if you give three potions of the same kind, the character ends up with three different potions). This doesn't happen with reward_give or other item management calls as far as I know.
* Sometimes searchable terrain breaks. For certain terrain with the searchable and container attribute, they are only searchable if there is something inside the container. This means that the call te_can_look_at doesn't do a lot.
* The call put_stain_on_space sometimes does nothing when attempting to remove a stain. This is a bit unpredictable, but most of the time that I've tried it, it does nothing. It also works fine putting a stain down, just not removing it.
* As described here, in a dialog box, choosing the second dialog choice always returns the number 2, even if the dialog choice was added as the third option.
* Custom scripts for joined NPCs don't do much. Everything except the DEAD_STATE is ignored. (Is this still true? Do any other states work?)
* The call num_killed_in_town always returns 0. (I have not verified this.)
* The call create_text_bubble cannot be called from a terrain script, even though the docs say that it can. (I have not verified this.)
* Something odd and undocumented is going on with the clear_town call. The description of the problem is here.

Corescendata and default graphic errors
* In corescendata, Augmented Giant (creature 135) ought to have the line "cr_which_sheet_upper = 1618;"
* The default rakshasa image needs realignment -- it has a black line on it.
* The slith avatar, in order to match Avernum 1, should not have the graphic of a gorgon, which is what it has now. Two calls need to be added: cr_which_sheet = 1532 and cr_icon_adjust = 2, as Bahssikava does.
* In corescendata.txt Floor #80 (fake lava) is not blocked by default. NPCS may walk upon it, thus giving away the fact that the lava is indeed fake.
* In corescendata2.txt Terrains #172 and #173 (fences) have an incorrect name. The line te_name = "Fence"; needs to be added to them.
* In corescendata2.txt Terrain #331 and #332 (underground hillside cave entrances) import the incorrect terrain. This causes problems with the automatic hills functionality of the editor. It will also cause the party to be drawn incorrectly when upon these terrains.
* In corescendata2.txt Terrain #367 (ruined statue) is missing the upper half. The lines te_second_icon = 1; and te_second_icon_offset_y = -55; need to be added to correct this.
* Graphics sheet 680, icon 52, is incorrectly drawn. It needs to be flipped horizontally to be correct.
* Graphics sheet 768, icon 8, has 3 off-white pixels.
* The efreet (creature 174) has cr_natural_armor defined twice, the first time as 15 and the second time as 50.
* The default Eyebeast graphic (1552) has its icons in the wrong order. This means that the creature will appear to be facing south when it's actually facing north in the editor, east when west, west when south, and north when east.
* As far as I can tell, aranea (and elder aranea) default to carrying pots. I'm assuming that item 373 was aranea fangs, once upon a time.
* Floors 85 and 86 have fl_ed_which_icon reversed. Floor 85 should have icon 7, and floor 86 should have icon 6.
* The default Asp graphic (1551) has its icons in the wrong order. North and west are reversed.

Documentation problems
* The call move_to_new_town can't be called from an INIT_STATE, a START_STATE, a creature script, or a terrain script, even if you distance the call from the state with set_state_continue, run_town_script, or run_scenario_script. (I put this under documentation because apparently this would be hard to change.)
* The call it_bonus may be described inaccurately. It does not provide any protection for rings, necklaces, and bracelets, and instead of preventing the given amount of damage, it prevents a random amount of damage up to the given amount. (I have not verified this.)
* The call get_unlock_spell_strength is undocumented.
* The constants BASE_TRAP_XP (which is 50) and NUM_CHARS (which is 120) are not documented. In fact, it'd be nice to have a list of constants somewhere like the one that Khoth posted.

Misecellaneous engine issues
* Outdoors signs don't work sometimes. (Does this still not work? Jeff claims that he fixed it for v1.1.2.)
* If cursed items are placed on ground/in a container in the editor, they lose their cursed ability. (I have not verified this one.)
* Enter-combat-end-combat bug: you can get placed in totally nonsensical locations when ending combat. If you enter and then end combat immediately, you get placed one space forward. This allows you to skip special rectangles extremely easily unless specifically prevented from doing so by a designer.
* Beam projectors malfunction wildly in close quarters, next to walls, in varying heights, etc. I have a small utility scenario to demonstrate a number of ways in which this can occur.
* When a regular PC is next to a spot and you look at that spot, you search the spot. If only a joined NPC (and not a regular NPC) is next to a spot, however, you don't search the spot. (It just seemed odd to me. Not sure it's a "bug" bug, though.)
* On Win98, crashes have been observed when monsters use missile attacks. (This may be hard to track down, though.)
* Putting a town border right next to the edge of the town causes weird behavior: you can't exit the town, the town doesn't match the edge, etc.
* When a creature can't get to a location that it's trying to get to, the game slows to a crawl. For example, when a creature gets lured out of a building through an open door, the door gets closed, and then the creature tries to return_to_start, the game slows. (This has been reported on Windows, and I have not verified it personally.)
* Unlike the traditional Orb of Thralni, items with it_ability_1 = 213 can give the party extra rounds of flight while the party is still in the air.

Unhandled Exceptions
Various things cause Unhandled Exception errors on Windows that cause BoA to quit entirely without giving a proper error message. These are extremely hard to debug for Mac designers, since they do not reproduce in the same way on a Mac, except for a few that are noted. Among them:
* Using a terrain or floor graphic that doesn't exist. This is a problem with wallsets that are not complete, for example: if you place a wall with a door from a wallset that doesn't include a door (ie, cave wall), this causes an unhandled exception.
* Setting a creature facing a direction greater than 7 -- ie, set_character_facing(6,8).
* Running the death animation of a creature with cr_small_or_large_template set wrong -- that is, if the creature's graphic is small but cr_small_or_large_template = 1 in the scenario's custom objects script, then BoA crashes without an error message and quits. This happens on Mac, too.
* Over-running the string limit. I got an unhandled exception in Vasskolis when I tried to display a message from the text buffer that was longer than 256 characters. I'm not sure if over-running the text buffer itself was the problem or if trying to display it was the problem, but either way, the over-long string didn't give the over-long string error like it does on a Mac.
* If you try to use a string variable while nothing's in it (i.e., you forgot the get_buffer_text call), BoA dies. On Mac-BoA v1.1.2, it crashes, gives no error message, and quits. I got this with a message_dialog call, but I imagine a print_str or text bubble would give the same response. Also, using a dialog string with nothing in it causes the same error.

[ Monday, May 22, 2006 21:23: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #1
DATA FILE ERRORS:
In corescendata.txt Floor #80 (fake lava) is not blocked by default. NPCS may walk upon it, thus giving away the fact that the lava is indeed fake.In corescendata2.txt Terrains #172 and #173 (fences) have an incorrect name. The line te_name = "Fence"; needs to be added to them.In corescendata2.txt Terrain #331 and #332 (underground hillside cave entrances) import the incorrect terrain. This causes problems with the automatic hills functionality of the editor. I think it will also cause the party to be drawn incorrectly when upon these terrains.In corescendata2.txt Terrain #367 (ruined statue) is missing the upper half. The lines te_second_icon = 1; and te_second_icon_offset_y = -55; need to be added to correct this.GRAPHICS SHEET ERRORS:
Graphics sheet 680, icon 52, is incorrectly drawn. It needs to be flipped horizontally to be correct.Graphics sheet 768, icon 8, has 3 off-white pixels.MISCELLANEOUS:
The terrain characteristic te_can_look_at is broken.SUBJECTIVE:
In corescendata2.txt Terrain #360 and #361 (lampposts) have poor offsets. They look better with the lines te_icon_offset_y = -13; (added to #360) and te_icon_offset_y = -14; (added to #361).In corescendata2.txt Terrain #405's name is "Outdoor Camp". It's a campsite, or a camp, what if someone wanted to use it indoors for a pack of midgets, or something? You could change it in scennamedata.txt BUT there is no reason for the "Outdoor" part to be there in the first place.In corescendata2.txt Terrain #406's name is "Outdoor Totems". They're totems, what if someone wanted to use it indoors or something? You could change it in scennamedata.txt BUT there is no reason for the "Outdoor" part to be there in the first place.EDITS 1 & 2:
Painting floors over/under (whatever) signs causes them to go blank.You can steal multiple items in one go, and your crime level will only ever increase by 1.

[ Tuesday, December 27, 2005 17:07: Message edited by: CPeters ]

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
Originally written by CPeters:

[*]The terrain characteristic te_can_look_at is broken.

In what way? It never does anything, or...?

quote:
In corescendata2.txt Terrain #367 (ruined statue) is missing the upper half. The lines te_second_icon = 1; and te_second_icon_offset_y = -55; need to be added to correct this.
Huh. I thought that it was supposed to look like that, the idea being that the top part fell off.

Good job pointing these things out. I'm surprised that I'd never noticed the "Window" name for the fences before.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #3
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Huh. I thought that it was supposed to look like that, the idea being that the top part fell off.
The top part I'm referring to is part of the 'stump' for that ruined statue's leg.

quote:

In what way? It never does anything, or...?
quote:
Originally written by CPeters:

[b]The terrain characteristic te_can_look_at is broken.
[/b]
Some custom terrain I have made can be looked at, even when te_can_look_at = 0; Some custom terrain I have made cannot be looked at, even when te_can_look_at = 1; ... it doesn't seem to do anything.
EDIT:
Pathfinding is dodgy. If an NPC cannot get to where they are trying to reach, the game slows down to a crawl. I've noticed this with the approach_char() call, and the return_to_start() call.

[ Tuesday, December 27, 2005 19:17: Message edited by: CPeters ]

--------------------
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #4
it_bonus doesn't work as described. It does not provide any protection for rings, necklaces, and bracelets, and instead of preventing the given amount of damage, it prevents a random amount of damage up to the given amount.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
*revives as a new oddity is found*

In corescendata, the efreet (creature 174) has cr_natural_armor defined twice, the first time as 15 and the second time as 50.

--------------------

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
*revives again*

Undocumented call: short get_unlock_spell_strength() - In a terrain script's UNLOCK_SPELL_STATE, returns the strength of the Unlock Doors spell used to trigger the state. The formula for the strength of Unlock Doors is not clear to me from experiments, but reasonable values seem to range between 15 and 30, relating to the caster's spell level, the skill in Intelligence, Mage Spell, and Magery, and possibly something else.

[ Sunday, January 08, 2006 22:23: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #7
I might have something. I couldn't get the num_killed_in_town call to give up any values other than zero no matter how many rats I killed.

Also the appendix claim that the create_text_bubble call could also be called from a terrain script. I couldn't get it to work, though.

--------------------
These are my scenarios. I may have too much free time but I really don't care.
Backwater Calls, Magus of Cattalon, Rats Aplenty
Get them here
Visit The Lyceum for all your rating needs.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #8
Under the Town and Scenario menus, respectively:

"Add Random Items" and "Edit Item Placement Shortcuts"... one of these is broken, because no matter what % probability I enter under Edit Item Placement Shortcuts, when I hit Add Random Items, everything's treated as 100%. Kinda takes the "random" out of the whole thing.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #9
In the editor: as far as I can tell, the "Place Bounding Walls" button does nothing.

--------------------

Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #10
Actually, place bounding walls does do something: It puts walls round floortype 255 (solid stone). I don't know why, though.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
Oh, I get it. Based on a couple of things I've seen in the editor, I'd guess that Jeff places blackness and then walls, rather than walls and then blackness.

--------------------

The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #12
quote:

In the editor: as far as I can tell, the "Place Bounding Walls" button does nothing.
Wow. I don't know where I'd be without this button.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #13
It'd be nice if it gave some sort of beep or error message if you tried to use it without any dark space to surround, though.

--------------------

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by Smoo:

Also the appendix claim that the create_text_bubble call could also be called from a terrain script. I couldn't get it to work, though.
I am feeling anger. I want my terrain to speak!

*this message directed at Jeff*

--------------------
quote:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #15
I did something like this with invisible monsters.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
Evidently (judging by this thread), there is something wrong with the clear_town call, although I haven't figured out what yet.

--------------------

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #17
I think it's an engine problem more than the call itself since not everyone is getting the bug. Besides, I've had troubles with the call move_to_new_town and there's nothing wrong with that call most of the time.

Dikiyoba.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #18
I just noticed that, in door.txt, there is this line:

award_party_xp(BASE_TRAP_XP,1 + 2 * get_mechanism_difficulty());

Is BASE_TRAP_XP documented somewhere? If not, this is yet another undocumented feature.

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #19
Hmm. It's probably one of those reserved variable names, none of which are documented.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #20
Considering the fact that I've rewritten the door.txt repeatedly, noticed BASE_TRAP_XP and couldn't find its documentation at the time, I really should have brought it up. Sorry about my lack of vigilance.

--------------------
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #21
The constants which are used in scripts from Jeff's scenarios, and their values. There may be more that he never used, that I don't know about.

ME -1
TRUE 1
FALSE 0
INIT_STATE 0
DEAD_STATE 1
START_STATE 2
EXIT_STATE 1
START_SCEN_STATE 111
SEARCH_STATE 100
TALKING_STATE 110
UNLOCK_SPELL_STATE 101
LOAD_SCEN_STATE 0
BLOCK_MOVE_STATE 112
DISPEL_BARRIER_STATE 113
STEP_INTO_SPOT_STATE 114
SANCTIFICATION_STATE 102
BASE_TRAP_XP 50
NUM_CHARS 120

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #22
Out of curiosity, where does he use NUM_CHARS? I'm trying to associate that with something, and I can't.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #23
quote:

Out of curiosity, where does he use NUM_CHARS? I'm trying to associate that with something, and I can't.
He uses it in t14Ogre Farms.txt, in A Small Rebellion.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #24
Oh! It's the number of creatures in a town. That makes some kind of sense, I guess.

--------------------

Pages