Combat in scenarios

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Combat in scenarios
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #25
Yea, combat never was too exciting in the Exile/Avernum games. Well... exciting as in fast-paced, hectic, and chaotic. I admit to getting excited sometimes, in hard fights. But now my A3 party is too strong to have any challenge. Even when I left the others behind and went singleton, he still kicked everyone squarly in the arse. A2 combat systems are warm welcomed by me...

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #26
Combat will be a lot better and more interesting with AI's that work, I think.

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Apprentice
Member # 417
Profile #27
quote:
Originally written by [E.E.P.:
Karzoth]
Yea, combat never was too exciting in the Exile/Avernum games. Well... exciting as in fast-paced, hectic, and chaotic. I admit to getting excited sometimes, in hard fights. But now my A3 party is too strong to have any challenge. Even when I left the others behind and went singleton, he still kicked everyone squarly in the arse. A2 combat systems are warm welcomed by me...
Wow... I just finished A2 after a long, long pause from it and not even the last fight in Gaharzads' fortress was really difficult; though I suppose that the spells help with that a bit too. OTOH, in A3 it just takes a few more rounds of preparation before combat in order to get the War Blessing effect.

BTW, what about the enemy percentage to hit in A3? If the enemy has got 5% I've experienced it like they have even less than that and if they've got 25 to 35% they've hit a wole lot more than that! Anyone else who felt this while playing, or have I just been having non-representative combats?

[ Thursday, August 21, 2003 00:24: Message edited by: Mr Always ]

--------------------
I'm far too tired to think of a new signature right now.
Warrior
Member # 3251
Profile Homepage #28
Hmm..I think I'll only respond to the off-topic topics :D !

Karzoth, when you piss people off, you should TRY to be doing it. Otherwise you end up apologizing. So just be like me :P . Note: I often correct myself and accept others to be right but NEVER do I say I am "sorry." I accept the consequences of my actions as is.

As for the way Yoda talks...Arancaytar was right: he DOES end every sentence with a verb. Why? This is a subtle joke (well, other than it just sounds funny). This is PROPER grammar in German. And English is just a form a German that has been reformed over the hundreds of years (also, a little of the romantic tongues were mixed in). Yoda is very old. 900 years old it seems. If he existed in our world, he would have had to adapt from German to "early" English (forgot actual name!) to Middle English to Modern English. Maybe more. I don't know about you, but I'D be confused if I had to learn the SAME language half a dozen times!

-Trogdor, he is wont of a world without plagiarism in a world run by P. Diddy. :D

--------------------
...and all was laid to burnination...
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #29
I find having less than 5 units (PC's) gives me less tactical options, but that's just because I'm used to more. I can't use bruisers that do flanking while using summoned monsters as fodder betwixt my (usually 4 in Exile) MU's and enemy fighters.

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #30
Actually, Trogdor, German grammar never places the verb at the end - I should know :P .

There are other differences though, for example the above sentence would run: Actually places the German grammar the verb never at the and. ;)

--------------------
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #31
On the subject of PC number - since I build all of my PCs more or less identically, it does not really reduce my tactical options.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #32
Trogdor - Star Wars happened "A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away". Yoda therefore could not have known about grammar in Old German.

Arancaytar-are you German? Assuming yes, if you use google's translator on this site, does it translate text you type into English?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #33
If I was trusting my posts here to the linguistic genius of the google auto-translator, you'd know.

No, I actually speak fluent English. :P

For comparison:

"If I mean posts on this forum the linguistic abilities google of the autotranslator would entrust, its that would notice." :D :D

Note the verbs at the end, which is a form only employed in the conjunctive (would) — same as in English.

[ Thursday, August 21, 2003 11:47: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #34
Geez, how off topic is that?

Imban, how do you sleep at night? You make them all MU's or what?

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #35
My standard BoE party is a party of mage/priests which eventually develops into a party of fighter/mage/priests.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #36
My BOE/other Exile party always consists of:
2 fighters, 1 archer, 2 mages, 1 priest

They all turn out good, so I don't worry about deaths and such. More on subject, we need Exile damage bases back...

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #37
I prefer a singleton, but that's just me.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #38
Not just you. I enjoy the refreshing singleton-run every once and a while. I just feel that it's more... uh... realistic? to have a group conquering mass evil rather than a single person. But then again... Superman...

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Warrior
Member # 3251
Profile Homepage #39
Yeah, bands of people are what caused all the changes in history. Sure, one man can make a difference, but only if he does this by leading a bunch of people to help him. :D

But singleton just makes the plot SO much easier to work with. And coding wise, too. All those little things where people have reactions like: "A dwarf, a man, and an elf?!?!" Or maybe something like an item that only a rogue can use and you don't have any rogues...oh, that's not hard, just irritating. ;)

To tell you the truth, I don't even know WHAT I'm talking about when I talk in this forum. I'm just a crazy old man, I guess. :P

--------------------
...and all was laid to burnination...
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #40
You got that right :P

Edit: Post 300! :eek:

[ Saturday, August 23, 2003 07:52: Message edited by: [E.E.P.] Karzoth ]

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #41
Post 300? That's pitiful. :P

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #42
Haha... hey, hey, hey... I only post in the BOA section, what do you expect?

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Warrior
Member # 1014
Profile #43
at first i thought monsters being able to target your pc's specifically was a good idea, they'd be able to pick the one that was doing them the most harm rather than have to go after the one you stuck in front of them to soak up the damage...
then i realised that it completely does away with the point of summoning...
cheese
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #44
Eh, summoning is not done for. You can still use summoning to do damage (if you feel stupid) or, better yet, to create a wall of summons. A bruiser cannot attack your magi first if he cannot get through the summons.
Warrior
Member # 1014
Profile #45
but spellcasters and archers can
and there aint a melee only creature in any of the three avernums thats strong enough to warrant any serious attention for very long...
cheese
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #46
Then instead of summoning, you can always merely spend your time and SP using extreme force against the monster in question.

Note that it also does not make summoning any more useless than it was - if the hostile monster attacks magi first, and you summon a monster with spellcasting capability, you have created a decoy. If a hostile monster attacks the target with the lowest HP, heck, ANY summon will divert its attention.

[ Thursday, August 28, 2003 07:08: Message edited by: Imban ]
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #47
Or the scenario designer could program the AI for a monster to sometimes attack magi/archers (acting cleverly, sortof) and sometimes attack whatever is nearest (acting instinctively) by generating a random number etc.

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Warrior
Member # 1014
Profile #48
probably way to late for this but eh...
i figure it would be good to have varying strengths of ai depending on the monster you were facing,
empire soldiers for example would be highly trained, efficient killing machines, particularly if they have a dervish of a mage or someone to lead them and direct there attacks,
goblins on the other hand would only be mildly above giant lizards and thats debatatable
nephilim and sliths might not have a strong ai, warriors, shamans, priests, mages and cheifs however definitely would and would increase the ai strength of any other intelligent creature they were accompanied by,
lots of different ways you could do it...
had another thought regarding summoning, it could still be useful when combined with the choice of creature and the ability to choose where you dump it, you could create a wall of summons around the offending enemy and trap it for a while while still being able to damage it
cheese
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #49
Yes, AI strengths can be manipulated.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00

Pages