April Chat Times?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: April Chat Times?
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #0
Will there be any scheduled Blades chats for this month. I noticed that Stareehas yet to post a schedule.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #1
Blades chats have little demand, I could post a few, but they are never well attended.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 6883
Profile #2
There would be if the game had a sequel.
I'm sure many would be interested in a Blades of Avernum 2... because it's the only one with an editor.

--------------------
~There can be only one.
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #3
NTJedi: There's no reason for a sequel, the point of the game is that it is expandable. An updated version with bugs fixed and maybe even added features would sure be nice, but it still wouldn't attract a great deal of attention. (It's also not true that it's the only game with an editor. A couple of forums down you will find BoE)

*i: I quite agree about the general low attendence, but some of the chats have been quite productive.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
I'm getting a little tired of the unfocused, general Spiderweb chats, personally. It would be nice to have another Blades chat, although perhaps not one every week.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #5
I concur... I rather miss the chats. It's always nice to be reminded how many people are working on stuff.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #6
If I were to join in the chats though, one of them at least would have to be on at around 5pm GMT. And I'm not sure many people could make it at that time...

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Apprentice
Member # 6883
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Niemand:

NTJedi: There's no reason for a sequel, the point of the game is that it is expandable. An updated version with bugs fixed and maybe even added features would sure be nice, but it still wouldn't attract a great deal of attention.
added features, more user friendly functionality, perhaps slightly improved graphics, random map generator, more monsters, improved AI with monsters.... all would make a sequel very interesting.
Saying there's no reason for a sequel is saying the game is perfect. And NO GAME is perfect.

quote:
(It's also not true that it's the only game with an editor.

What other Spiderweb software games have editors?

[ Wednesday, April 05, 2006 07:16: Message edited by: NTJedi ]

--------------------
~There can be only one.
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #8
Blades of Exile
I believe subTerra also has an editor.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #9
NTJedi, if you read the rest of the sentence that you quoted from my post, you would see my answer.
Different graphics, AI, and maps are the entire point of BoA. The game itself is technically just the executable program, the actual gameplay comes from the scenarios people design. Speaking of a sequel is quite meaningless.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Apprentice
Member # 6883
Profile #10
quote:

NTJedi, if you read the rest of the sentence that you quoted from my post, you would see my answer.
Different graphics, AI, and maps are the entire point of BoA.

And all of these can be improved from its current design and the interface can be made more user friendly. If you believe BoA cannot be evolved any further by the developers that's underestimating the developers and overestimating the current game.

--------------------
~There can be only one.
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #11
The point is that this can all be done with a patch or update. Additionally the editor is open-source, and new versions such as the 3D editor have been released. A sequel in the traditional sense loses its meaning in situations like this.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 6883
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Smugglers' Alliance, Chief of the:

The point is that this can all be done with a patch or update. Additionally the editor is open-source, and new versions such as the 3D editor have been released. A sequel in the traditional sense loses its meaning in situations like this.
A sequel serves many purposes... first it brings more money in to the developer which increases sequels for other games. Second more people are likely to use an official expansion or sequel which keeps everyone on the same page, compared to something unofficial. Third and most important a sequel will bring new game reviews which will bring new gamers to increase this gaming community... no big game website is going to review an unofficial mod such as the 3D editor.

[ Wednesday, April 05, 2006 11:44: Message edited by: NTJedi ]

--------------------
~There can be only one.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #13
Jeff has said that he's not going to make another game with an editor for a long time. The discussion is moot anyway.

But the only way that I can imagine a sequel to BoA is using a completely different engine, such as the A4 engine. In that way, I could see the potential for a BoA2, even though it's not going to happen.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 6883
Profile #14
True it's not going to happen unfortunately.
I was just saying if it did happen members in the chat would definitely increase.... then the topic started leaning other directions. :)

--------------------
~There can be only one.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by NTJedi:

True it's not going to happen unfortunately.
Emphasis added- what the hell is wrong with you? >8E

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #16
Seriously... we're having enough "fun" keeping BoA 1 alive... why should we think that a BoA2 would be any better?

(Personally, I'd expect the bug count to increase exponentially... BoG would thus be totally unplayable for a year)

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #17
There really must be some way to get the people who keep tinkering with A4 to convert to BoA. There's plenty of people who want to mess around with scripts and such.

Perhaps we could get the tinkerers to write the Character Editor for A5 so that Jeff has more time to fix the bugs for BoA?

Dikiyoba.
Apprentice
Member # 6883
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

There really must be some way to get the people who keep tinkering with A4 to convert to BoA. There's plenty of people who want to mess around with scripts and such.

Dikiyoba.

Well if I do buy one of the spiderweb software games it will be BoA. :)

--------------------
~There can be only one.