Bahssikava

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Bahssikava
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #0
Hey, you know that scenario "Bahssikava?" Lots of you have played it before right? Well, I just wanted to take the time and the audacity to create a new topic thread just to say that that game is PERFECT.

There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it, no negative aspects to that scenario whatsoever, and there will be no more posts after this.

-Signed in blood, Christopher

--------------------
"Sometimes I get all hungry!
And then I catch some flies!
They fly into my webs!
They are really yummy guys!"
-Spider
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
A warning to prospective scenario designers may be warranted at this point. Bahss is pretty combat-heavy, and that's bound to get old sooner or later. Don't try and copy its formula unless you're sure you have something new to add. I liked Bahssikava, but I suspect I wouldn't like the 15th scenario that tried to be Bahssikava nearly so much.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
Glad to hear you liked it! You will, of course, be rating it on SW and CSR, right? [/shameless plug]

I'm definitely not going to make another scenario like Bahssikava, so I don't think that others should either. I pretty much agree with Thuryl.

If you're interested to know what I think worked and what I think didn't, I wrote a long post describing the history of Bahs and my thoughts on its successes and failures over here.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #3
Wow.

i read everything you wrote there, and was amazed. You really did research before making the scenario. i can respect that.

However, I still didn't play, but I'm very anxious to do so. All I hear about it is how great it is.

Not only would i like to play it for fun, but also to see how you construct your plot and scenario. Not to copy you, or something, just to see how one of the best scenario makers I know does it.

I think I'll just create a high level party and start the scenario. That's the only thing I found less about Bahssikava: The extremely high level party you have to have before you can play it.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #4
Too bad I don't like BoA. All this ego-stroking looks enticing. :P

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

Its better people liking you, than disliking you. That's why.

however, I played a bit of the scenario with a about level 35 party. it was very nice until I got to these mutant lizards. That was the first fight and I already was dead.

I liked that story. Its the only time I can remember, that I'd like to see a cutscene of this length a second time. Very good, kel.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #6
I liked it too. It's my favourite scenario so far, the scripting is awesome. Although, to be honest, I haven't finished the game yet. :P So far so good anyway.

The only thing I could complain about is the suggested levels of the starting party (35-45). Maybe Kel played it with a specially designed party that suited the heavy combat requirements of the game. Personally I found it a bit too hard for my party (level: 45, difficulty: normal). I would say the scenario is more like 50 and over. I pity the poor souls that try to beat the game with a level 35 party. Fortunately this is no mayor bug, a little change in the scenario properties from 35-45 to say 45-55 and bingo! It is done.

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, emperor of Riverrod:

quote:

I have no idea what you're talking about.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by The_Nazgul:

The only thing I could complain about is the suggested levels of the starting party (35-45). Maybe Kel played it with a specially designed party that suited the heavy combat requirements of the game.
It's hard to make a good recommendation for party level, because different players are differently skilled. I was able to beat Bahssikava on Torment difficulty with a level-25 party, all of whom had no advantageous traits, multiple disadvantageous traits, and items and spells straight out of the HLPM (no fancy artifacts).

Mind you, I was sweating blood throughout the first few dungeons of the scenario, but I like it that way.

[ Saturday, August 27, 2005 05:03: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #9
quote:

Maybe Kel played it with a specially designed party that suited the heavy combat requirements of the game. Personally I found it a bit too hard for my party (level: 45, difficulty: normal). I would say the scenario is more like 50 and over. I pity the poor souls that try to beat the game with a level 35 party. Fortunately this is no mayor bug, a little change in the scenario properties from 35-45 to say 45-55 and bingo! It is done.
This is definitely not a bug. I beat it with a HLPM-made party at level 40 that was entirely like the default party — I didn't do anything special because I wanted to make sure that it could be done without anything weird. If you want to know how I did it, read the walkthrough. There were a few fights throughout the scenario that gave me trouble, but I explain how I got through them.

I am told that a party that is strong in missile weapons goes through much more easily than a default-like party.

quote:

quote:

quote:

I have no idea what you're talking about.

I think the idea is: being nice to each other is better than being completely mean and unpleasant to each other. This is a novel concept when it comes to talking about Blades scenarios, I know, but saying a few good things about a scenario makes it much easier to tolerate saying a few negative things about a scenario, which is something that I think all of us forget too often.

[ Saturday, August 27, 2005 05:17: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Mind you, I was sweating blood throughout the first few dungeons of the scenario, but I like it that way.

¨

Masochist. :D

BTW, it's not that I suck or anything, I've only died a couple of times so far. (Wanted to clear that out right away, I have my reputation.). It's just that I had to make many, MANY energy potions and that just puts me in a bad mood.

Also, I don't like using walkthoughs unless I get stuck (So far, only once, with the barrel into the pit thing. Nasty nest by the way).

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

[b]
It's hard to make a good recommendation for party level, because different players are differently skilled. I was able to beat Bahssikava on Torment difficulty with a level-25 party, all of whom had no advantageous traits, multiple disadvantageous traits, and items and spells straight out of the HLPM (no fancy artifacts).[/b][/QUOTE]

True, how true. You don't know what problems i have with my own scenario on that field.

It started with plans for a level 10 -20 scenario. Now I'm working on a 20 - 30 scenario, and I'm still not sure if its right that way.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #12
It gets harder the higher the level of your party.

For starting parties there is not much difference from the party of player A with the party of player B. But when they reach level 45, there WILL be a lot of differences.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 2796
Profile #13
Hi,
I also enjoyed the scenario. I started the scenario out with a party of 31 and by games end my party was up to 57! All I can say about that, is that I must have done a lot of ingame editing.
:P
gcmaxxon

--------------------
quote:
" He loved maps, and in his hall there hung a large one of the
Country Round with all his favourite walks marked on it in red ink."
---The Hobbit
pg21

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #14
I made a topic similar to this, I remember.

The scenario might be combat-heavy (I didn't find it so), but it certainly carried enormous background story and setting. Indeed, if I ever get around to writing that encyclopedia entry on the Slithzerikai, Bahs will probably be the most abundant reference to draw on.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #15
Fortunately, you can see my notes online, too, so you can see where I got the stuff that I said in Bahs. I tried not to make too much up. This should help to separate the canon from the fanfic, so to speak.

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #16
quote:
The only thing I could complain about is the suggested levels of the starting party (35-45). Maybe Kel played it with a specially designed party that suited the heavy combat requirements of the game. Personally I found it a bit too hard for my party (level: 45, difficulty: normal). I would say the scenario is more like 50 and over. I pity the poor souls that try to beat the game with a level 35 party. Fortunately this is no mayor bug, a little change in the scenario properties from 35-45 to say 45-55 and bingo! It is done.
I disagree. I am in the process of beating it with a 45 singleton and I'm doing OK.

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

I think the idea is: being nice to each other is better than being completely mean and unpleasant to each other. This is a novel concept when it comes to talking about Blades scenarios, I know, but saying a few good things about a scenario makes it much easier to tolerate saying a few negative things about a scenario, which is something that I think all of us forget too often.
I understand the concept that it's nicer to have people saying good things about your work, that's self-evident. I couldn't see what relevance that point had as a reply to my comment.

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #18
You said that its "all ego-stroke enticing" As a reply to that, I said that its better to say something good and let people like you (to stroke the ego), instead of saying its all crap and not stroke the ego.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #19
quote:

You said that its "all ego-stroke enticing".
I most certainly did not!

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #20
In his reply to your post, he said why ego-stroking was enticing.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #21
Yes, and he completely missed the point by doing so. I'm in no way tempted to stroke Kelandon's ego; I just washed my hands. I meant, from the perspective of a designer, it's too bad I don't like BoA, because I wouldn't mind a bit of that fawning adulation.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Bender Bending Rodriguez:

quote:
I disagree. I am in the process of beating it with a 45 singleton and I'm doing OK.

Bah, singleton is easier. At least for me.

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #23
quote:

I'm in no way tempted to stroke Kelandon's ego; I just washed my hands.
Did you ever read me saying that?

But please, lets just continue on the topic: Bahssikava. I don't feel like starting to defend myself.

[ Sunday, August 28, 2005 04:30: Message edited by: Thralni, emperor of Riverrod ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #24
You explained why you found it enticing to stroke egos, I was pointing out that wasn't what I meant, rather I found the prospect of having my own ego stroked so enthusiastically somewhat enticing. :P There's no need to "defend" yourself, you aren't being attacked.

--------------------

Pages