Is it possible?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Is it possible?
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #0
When I get the full version, will making this armor be possible?

Diamond Plate Mail;
Blocks 80-120 damage(weighs 120 pounds.)
+6 ap
+2 to all stats
+20% resistence to elements, magic, mental, and acid.
Causes 8 encumberance, 55% hit penalty

If sold in a store; 15000 each(four of them, and in only ONE store, or possibly in a lair full of angry dragons.).

And will it be possible to make this?

Diamond Halberd;
Does 20-100 damage.(weighs 85 pounds)
+2 to action points
+4 to hardiness
+40% chance to hit.
Two-handed

In a store, 10000 gold each(or in the same lair as the armor.).
On more thing, how do you make a scenerio, I got a good idea for one.
And, I just wanted to share these, they're EXTREMELY powerful.

--------------------
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #1
Why wouldn't it? And why would you make such powerful stuff? That's kinda cheap. But oh well...

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
There will probably be caps on how high you can set the numbers, and the damage and defense for your platemail and halberd may be beyond that. Also, the range you entered isn't quite how the A3 damage system works.

I don't think you can make it impossible to sell an item except in a certain store. You might be able to make it impossible to sell and have a scripted event where you can choose to exchange the items for gold, but it wouldn't work in a shop.

You can't make a scenario yet, as BoA has not been released. You can get a rough idea of how it works by downloading BoE and playing around with it. I'd also recommend registering it since there are already so many great BoE scenarios.

—Alorael, who would recommend against making such horribly overpowered items. Unless your scenario has overly-powerful monsters (two or three times as hard as the A3 at least), equipment like that renders the scenario's combat unbelievably easy and boring.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #3
My scenerio idea has WAY over powered monsters, for example; Void Dragon Hp: 455 Hit damage: 140-195. Spells: level two, all spells(mage and priest) up to required skill 10.

And Voits; Hp: 290 Hit damage: 85-140 Spells: level 3(mage and priest), up to required skill level 8.

Those come in near the middle of the game, they're one of the weaker monsters of their type.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 1793
Profile Homepage #4
That's overdoing it. Considering that parties will be transferable, there should be some kind of standard, a mutual agreement to make sure everyone's scenerios are working on the same terms.

Otherwise, it could ruin a perfectly good party.

--------------------
Leave me alone.
Infiltrator
Member # 169
Profile #5
Those monsters don't seem particularly overpowerd to me. A dark wyrm is worse.

As for the items: Under no circumstances should anything that powerful be available in stores. I don't care if the shopkeepers are supposed to be minor deities - selling items that give six extra action points for any price it is possible for the party to pay is ridiculous. (For that matter, the existence of such an item would be ridiculous.)

The Halberd isn't as bad, but I'd redo the damage to be consistent with A3, and cut the ap bonus to 1. Oh, and make it very difficult to obtain.
Warrior
Member # 1793
Profile Homepage #6
Not that over powered?? I'd keep the HP the way it is, but cut the damage and AC down to two thirds that.

Don't get me started on the Armour and weapons. I'd take the damage on the halberd down to the regular halberd damage ( 3 - 30 ? ) and give it +5 at the most. Six turns is far too much, one turn is pushing it. The armour has too high of a resistance factor as well. You should lower it down to something like 4 - 24, 6 - 36 at the most. the 55% attack penalty would be appropriate for the changes I just mentioned.

These parties are going to be used in more scenerios than just yours, that kind of god modding ruins any chance of that party being used in a lower level scenerio.

Just keep that in mind before you make a scenerio like that.

--------------------
Leave me alone.
Infiltrator
Member # 169
Profile #7
Actually, the monsters are not overpowered, assuming a high-level scenario. (If TGI was thinking of including such items in a low-level scenario, he's crazy.)

High level (Lev. 30-40) parties should not find such monsters overwhelmingly difficult.
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #8
Those items are found in a lair full of void dragons. And those monsters are MIDDLE powered, this is the strongest one;
Void Gate Guardian
985 hp
spells; all level three
hit damage: 180-200
hit % 95%
10 ap
special ability: cause fear(like the gremlin's shimmering ray, except it causes fear.)
has a magical shield halving all damage done to it.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
I don't know if that half-damage shield will work, but let's assume it does. Then, with a mid to high level party, the Void Gate Guardian can be killed in about ten hits. It does unbelievable damage, but only in melee... and it will probably spend its time casting spells. It is impossible to assign a 95% hit rate to a monster. You can make it high, but you can't make it a guaranteed maximum.

—Alorael, who does think that monster is challenging. But it's not completely unreasonable, especially when you're outfitted with insane equipment like what's shown above. Generally speaking, powerful monsters are okay, but overpowered items are not. Just tone them down.
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #10
Oh, and I forgot to mention, an anti-magic shield(to YOUR magic)surrounds it, and you kill it, it comes back, kill it again, it comes back, kill it once more, it's dead.

--------------------
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #11
An antimagic shield isn't very useful against hot strike of weapon of choice to die.

Okay. 30 strikes then to finish it.

Using TM's A3 data, I get 12 attacks per round.

Hence it dies in 3 rounds.
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #12
And there's this monster, which you should pray that it doesn't attack you;
Void Elemental
250 hp
no spells
80-190 hit damage
10 ap
never dies
85% chance to hit
can attack target 2 spaces away(no missle weapons, or bows, or spells.)

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 461
Profile #13
Illusionist, the problem is that although those weapons might be balanced in your scenarios, a party that plays yuor scenario will play others as well - and the ultra items will destroy the balance of those scenarios. Perhaps you could have a "VoidSlayer" weapon (with a better name of course) that gets a big bonus against the void monsters? Or will it even be possible to create your own monster types and weapons to be used against those types?

--------------------
"If you held a weapon to Fwiffo's head, he would say anything you wanted him to. In fact, if you held a vegetable to Fwiffo's head, he'd say whatever you wanted him to." - Spathi high council, Star Control 2.
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #14
The only way to kill the Void Elemental is with the Void Slayer. I need to think up that weapon(it's gonna be two-handed.).

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 2155
Profile #15
Well I'm hardly a seasoned scenario designer, and I'm hardly against "hard" scenarios (*currently preemtively writing diologue, descriptions, ect. for one himself*) but those stats are... very misproportioned, especially for a "Medium" monster. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is still a damage cap you or a monster can do in BoA like the other Avernums. All I want to do is warn you that with those stats, this scenario might be as unbalanced as "the Seige of Sighing Mountain". (Anyone remember -that- final boss?)

--------------------
Razordisk Frisbee Golf
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #16
Actually, I'm all for a monster that can only be killed by one special weapon. That's no just power, that's at least moderately interesting, hopefully plot-related, and definitely more fun than yet another hackfest. Throwing bigger and better monsters at the party along with new and improved equipment isn't fun at all. The way those monsters work, they'll either bulldoze the party, making the scenario no fun at all, or they'll be easy pickings for a god party, making the scenario barely any fun.

—Alorael, who recommends creating medium or ordinarily strong monsters with interesting situations instead. For example, a pair of nephil archers are a good challenge to a low-level party when placed in such a way that they begin by attacking the spellcasters. In fact, low-level scenarios are usually more interesting, just because they rely less on brute force to destroy the party. Instead of huge monsters, make interesting situations that make even weak monsters harder.
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #17
Actually, this is the strongest monster in my scenerio
Void
1200 hp
200-200 hit damage(95% hit chance)
16 ap
shield that halves all damage done to it
all spells, all level three
voids(turns one of your party members to stone)
anti-magic shield
can only be killed by the void slayer(four, the only four, can be obtained from the first void boss.)
Here's the first void boss
Void Mercenary
85 hp
70% chance to hit(20-50 damage)
4 ap
no spells
carries four void slayers

Void Slayer(spear)
20-80 damage
+80 damage to void creatures
two handed
+extra swing against void creatures

you fight monsters in random order, some of them appear at a certain time.

[ Sunday, March 23, 2003 05:25: Message edited by: The Great Illusionist ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #18
Does your scenario idea have a plot? Because that is probably the most important thing to think of, especially when the game isn't released yet - you don't want to get your hopes up about weapons and monsters and then find out you can't make them.

And that void mercenary sounds extremely underpowered for what it drops (it could be killed by a lowish level party in one hit) - items like that should probably only really be one offs. I don't think an extra swing would be possible though.

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #19
The scenerio's plot is that the Vahnatai have banished all the Avernites to the Void-world, the Void is the only one keeping you from getting back, the Void Gate Guardian guards the Void's door. The guardian's always hostile, if you strike a good agreement with the Void, he lets you and the Avernites back to the real world, if he becomes hostile, you have to find his personal portal to the real world.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 169
Profile #20
Comments:

1. You seem to have an obsession with providing four copies of every powerful item. This is a bad idea. (Even if you do provide multiple copies, they should be in widely separated locations.)

2. The plot sounds like a typical 'kill hordes of monsters to make the world better' scenario. This can be done well, but it really isn't the best idea. Oh, and vahnatai villains are a bit overdone already.

3. Seriously, tone the items down. Oh, and you really should start using the A3 format for weapon damage - A-B + 1-C per L
A, B and C are positive integers.
L is the appropriate skill level.
B is usually a multiple of C, A is usually B/C.
I don't know if that is neccessary, but it would be a good idea to match that pattern, just in case.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #21
Um, Alcritas made Falling Stars.

And for what it's worth, Andres Gonzales's first scenario was Medium-level.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #23
It started out as Medium-level, you mean...

Even then, it's pushing it. Remember that bit rather near the start where one fought 20 haakai?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #24
There are many side quests, there are four Void Mercenaries, each carrying ONE Void Slayer, and the mercenaries are in four different corners of the game... challenging.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 334
Profile #25
I've made one BoE scenario, and it was for begining (level 1) parties. It has something resembling a plot, decent dialog, and I'd like to think fighting is not the end all and be all of the scenario.

Your milage may of course vary.

I would certainly agree with those who argue that plot is more important than combat.

--------------------
Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attmept it in your own home.

Caveat, Good Omems, Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

Pages