Undead Horde Substitutes

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Undead Horde Substitutes
Apprentice
Member # 5542
Profile #25
quote:
Originally written by Duke of Toast:

I was joking when I said BoE supports Communism.

EDIT: Spiderweb doesn't approve of posting a little when you're quoting a really long post?

Also, I am sort of worried that if I put out a scenario similar to another, regardless of whether or not I know I copied the similar scenario, people will accuse me of copying.

And yes, all literature, humor, and ideas are simply stolen from someone else or cobbled together from different things.

[ Thursday, May 12, 2005 16:08: Message edited by: icouldntcomeupwithabettername ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by icouldntcomeupwithabettername:

Also, I am sort of worried that if I put out a scenario similar to another, regardless of whether or not I know I copied the similar scenario, people will accuse me of copying.
Unless it's town-for-town and virtually word-for-word, you're in no danger. Scenarios about very similar things have come out before without any problems, since usually two designers will take the same premise and create very different scenarios with it.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #27
As it is with anything, ideas are always being borrowed and reworked. So I wouldn't worry. Thats not to say you shouldn't be able to come up with smomething new.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Apprentice
Member # 5632
Profile #28
Perhaps there should be a scenario in which there is an enthusiastic necromancer trying to raise an undead horde to terrorize the countryside, only all the local townsfolk have the "been there, done that" attitude. "Ho hum, there's a group of our fallen loved ones trying to eat my brain again. Strange weather we're having, though, eh?" Your party wanders into the area with the intention of killing the necromancer, but ends up feeling sorry for him and engages in a quest to help him make his plague more interesting. You get so caught up in your work that you end up recruiting the aid of various factions, like disgruntled environmentalist dryads/plant monsters, super-intelligent communist sheep (the worker's revolution begins!), a crazy suicide cult of some sort, and maybe militant racial purists. A massive war between the various factions erupts, and all are destroyed, including the now astonished townsfolk. The necromancer, realizing that you make far better villains than he could ever be, gives up his scheming and goes into the music business. Maybe he gives you a wand or something.

In any case, the above factions are all ideas for substitutes for the undead that could be fought against, or even with. There should be scenarios where the human settlers are the villains. It would be great if you were actually supposed to slaughter a whole village, guards and all. Maybe some kind of a witch hunt, where you are the witch?

Or how about an evil corporation? There could be a Disney-like entity which is using its amusement park (I guess it would more of a medieval fair) to subtly turn children into mind-controlled, mindless consumer slaves. The local parents turn to you for help, but when you go to investigate, all of the lovable, anthropomorphic characters they've created turn out to be extremely deadly monsters, which must be destroyed. Just think: a final showdown in a boardroom, where an unmasked, evil CEO is surrounded by huge, lovable pink bunnies with big claws. Maybe some of the creatures could rebel against their servitude, and you could have a big two-sided battle, with a few Mickey Mouse types on your side. When you win, the wounded, exhausted CEO is surrounded by his own creations and torn to pieces.

I mean, come on, people. Everything has NOT been done.

[ Saturday, May 14, 2005 11:53: Message edited by: Evil_Penguin ]
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #29
There is always a chance you could do the reverse of an undead horde. The locals have found magical ruins, gold, and energy geodes in monster infested area. This starts a gold rush (no thanks to Machrones covering it in his newspaper) and various adventurers and mercenaries go in and start killing anything in the way of the gold and geodes.

This awakens the evil horde which is stopped by the masses of treasure seekers. (There are a lot of seekers because it is between wars-- after the slith war, and the empire plagues.) So you have sliths, nephils, vahnati, bandits, rebels, hobos, ex-empire soldiers, mages, etc.

The empire receives a threat leave or I start destroying towns by one of the more powerful monsters. A mining site is raised by quickfire.
The empire tries to setup a blockade against the monsters and incoming adventurers. But there are too many adventurers and not enough imperial soldiers at the scene.

This still does not stop the raving treasure seekers. Stories of incredible fortunes are circulating; the streets are paved with gold, the doors are silver chased, etc. You are called in to intervene before the empire sends in a division of soldiers and mages.

It could be a lawless wild kind of place, where you would have to fight and negotiate between both adventurers and monsters.

[ Saturday, May 14, 2005 12:06: Message edited by: Duke of Toast ]

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by Evil_Penguin:

Perhaps there should be a scenario in which there is an enthusiastic necromancer trying to raise an undead horde to terrorize the countryside, only all the local townsfolk have the "been there, done that" attitude. "Ho hum, there's a group of our fallen loved ones trying to eat my brain again. Strange weather we're having, though, eh?" Your party wanders into the area with the intention of killing the necromancer, but ends up feeling sorry for him and engages in a quest to help him make his plague more interesting. You get so caught up in your work that you end up recruiting the aid of various factions, like disgruntled environmentalist dryads/plant monsters, super-intelligent communist sheep (the worker's revolution begins!), a crazy suicide cult of some sort, and maybe militant racial purists. A massive war between the various factions erupts, and all are destroyed, including the now astonished townsfolk. The necromancer, realizing that you make far better villains than he could ever be, gives up his scheming and goes into the music business. Maybe he gives you a wand or something.
...that would be an AWESOME scenario.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #31
Hm... all of those sound impressive, and might be worth trying after the scenario contest is over. Before then, there's no way...

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Warrior
Member # 4665
Profile #32
I'm all for the 'encroaching human settlers' and/or 'gold rush' type of scenario.

Like a bunch of miners stumbled upon a secret civilization of ice spirits(NOT undead. I mean "spirit" like nymphs and faeries and stuff), and you have the choice of either helping the ice spirits drive the humans out of their home(or just kill them) and seal the cave back up, or helping the miners by destroying the ice spirits' magical "cold source" so that the ice will thaw, killing the ice spirits and making the gold/silver/iron/whatever underneath readily accessible.

^There's so many places you could go with that. I can think of at least four possible endings off the top of my head, several nifty cold-based pieces of equipment, and five different dispositions that the ice spirits in general could have.

(Note that I've never played BoE, so I have no idea if this has been done already)

[ Saturday, May 28, 2005 23:08: Message edited by: Pig Catapult ]

--------------------
Soy sauce makes everything better. Except for Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders. Soy sauce makes Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders all sticky. And it makes them smell funny. But soy sauce makes everything else better. Just not Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #33
Everything has been used.

To me, anything's OK in a scenario, undead or even GIFTS, _if_ there's a good enough plot related to it. And not too much fighting. Fighting a horde of monsters is fun occasionally, not continuously.

(Evil_Penguin's ideas are really great. The last bring Clive Barker's Abarat to mind, somehow.)

[ Sunday, May 29, 2005 02:57: Message edited by: Milu ]

Pages