Is computer bad for your eyes?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Is computer bad for your eyes?
Shaper
Member # 2350
Profile #0
Does a computer damages your eyes, and if you think so, for what reason?

--------------------
Steal things in the sight of the guards without getting caught
Get to the other half of the Blackrag fortress
Get into Erika's Private Chambers
Joining the Anama wihtout losing Mage Spells
Two ways to make money quickly and easily

"Storm, earth and fire, heed my call!"
Posts: 2286 | Registered: Thursday, December 12 2002 08:00
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #1
Yes. Indirectly, it makes you go blind.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
BANNED
Member # 2064
Profile #2
Thats not good... I play the computer alot.

--------------------
Don't expect the expected
expect the unexpected
if you expect the expected
I expect you will remain unexpected.
Warrior
Member # 3029
Profile #3
Then, I recommend taking a 15 minute brake between every hour you play. For your eyes' sake. :)

--------------------
((><))
Apprentice
Member # 3046
Profile #4
Yes and no. Computers don't damage eyes, but most monitors do. If you use the computer a lot and have a CRT monitor, I would suggest setting the refresh rate as high as it goes. Also you should set your screen to have a lot of pixels. If you don't know how to do either of these and would like to, just reply asking how. LCD screens are better than CRTs, but usually brighter. Why you would be using any other screen for everyday use, I don't know.
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #5
Yes, Khoth, a good measure against that problem is wearing boxing gloves or one of those patentr Victorian inventions when you're using the PC. Best if it's mouse-based though.
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #6
:rolleyes: Hmm...Somehow I don't think that's what Ghost meant by "playing on the computer".

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally posted by X:
Yes, Khoth, a good measure against that problem is wearing boxing gloves or one of those patentr Victorian inventions when you're using the PC. Best if it's mouse-based though.
A better measure is laser eye surgery every few years.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
If you get a computer in your eyes, rinse them under cold water for five minutes. If irritation persists, call a doctor or tech support.

—Alorael, who couldn't resist. Actually, it's best if you make sure there isn't a lot of glare on your screen and that there is enough light to see easily.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Erudite*
Member # 3042
Profile #9
I don't know if it's really bad for your eyes, but mine always hurt and water after being on the computer for a long time.

--------------------
The Club of All
Chance Forums
I was once member #2475, but then my account was deleted because of a bug.
Post count=406+whatever it says below.
Infiltrator
Member # 2628
Profile Homepage #10
My workplace has same OH&S (occupational health & safety) guidelines regarding computer usage. My employer also provides eye tests every couple of years. They wouldn't spend the money on eye tests for all their employees if there wasn't some reason to be concerned.

Fortunately monitors have improved markedly over the years. At one stage the eye tests were annual events, and were much more detailed than the most recent test I had. Early model monitors were a much greater cause for concern. Some people in my workplace find anti-glare screens in front of their computer screens help reduce eye strain.

The constant focussing of your eyes at the same distance isn't good. Take a 10 minute break every hour, focussing your eyes on things at different distances.

Also, you can develop aches in your shoulders and back from continually sitting in the same posture. Use that 10 minute break to walk about, do neck rolls, arm stretches, etc.

--------------------
We meet and part now over all the world;
we, the lost company,
take hands together in the night, forget
the night in our brief happiness, silently.
-- Judith Wright

My website
Posts: 512 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #11
Flat screen monitors are better for your eyes... they are also more expensive, but hey. So is laser surgery.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Dance the Banned Dance
Member # 3052
Profile #12
Yeah. Laser surgery isn't perfected to the point of perfectness yet. Some people have trouble seeing in the night when having laser surgery. Also blurryness. Some people even went blind. It's a high risk I wouldn't take.
Shaper
Member # 2350
Profile #13
I had reasons to think that computer isn't bad for your eyes.

I have a friend who plays as much computer as I do, but doesn't have to wear glasses. (I have to :( )
I have another friend who doesn't play computer, and doesn't look tv much, but he has as bad eyes as me.

I more think the reason why I have such bad eyes is that I draw with amazingly small details… And I draw very much.
What should be most damaging for your eyes?

Also, how can you make it less damaging, appart from modifying the contrast and brightness, effacing the dust from the monitor, and buying a better one?

EDIT: A friend says if you let a chirurg "improve" your eyes there's less risk then with laser surgery. Is this true?

[ Wednesday, June 04, 2003 02:15: Message edited by: Ghost ]

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 2628
Profile Homepage #14
People need to wear glasses for a lot of reasons. The most common one is genetics - they inherited poor eyesight.

I came from a family of 6 children. My mother and both her parents needed glasses. One of my brothers started wearing glasses in his early teens. My sister and I were both in our early twenties when we started wearing glasses. My other three brothers take after my father - they've never needed glasses. If your friend doesn't need glasses then maybe he didn't inherit poor eyesight.

Heavy, continuous use of computers can cause eye damage, but it's more likely to cause problems such as backache and neck pain. Not to mention the problems relating to social isolation, lack of RL interaction and insufficient exercise for people who choose to spend all their leisure time at the computer. Too much time spent at a computer is not good for your health for a number of reasons.

OH&S guidelines at my work include:
* positioning the monitor, the mouse and keyboard at the right distance and height, and making sure your chair is adjusted correctly
* taking a 10 minute break every hour, focusing your eyes at different distances
* use an anti-glare screen in front of the monitor if the glare is giving you eyestrain
* take a walk during that 10 minute break, do back stretches and neck rolls

[ Wednesday, June 04, 2003 04:12: Message edited by: Kyna ]

--------------------
we, the lost company,
-- Judith Wright

My website
Shaper
Member # 2350
Profile #15
Genetics…
If that's the cause of my bad eyes, then the genes which provides the law of my eyes are unique, not inherited from my parents.

Unfortunatly, I have nothing to do then read, play computer, and draw, which all needs concentration from eyes and damages them.
I live in a town, and I prefer making a walk in the country, not in a town. (in the weekend I go to the country, and do nothing then making promenades, which is everything then eye-damageing)

Some questions remain unanswered:

A friend says if you let a chirurg "improve" your eyes there's less risk then with laser surgery. Is this true?

I more think the reason why I have such bad eyes is that I draw with amazingly small details… And I draw very much.
What should be most damaging for your eyes?

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 2628
Profile Homepage #16
Genetics is more complicated than 'if your parents both share this trait ... you will have it too'.

My parents and siblings all have dark hair. I don't. I inherited my hair colour from my great grandfather (it skipped two generations entirely). My son is colourblind. Neither his father or I am, he got the colourblind genes from his grandfather (my father). Maybe you inherited the gene for poor eyesight from your grandparents or great grandparents, or even further back than that.

If you are really concerned about your eyes, it would be best to seek a professional opinion instead of relying on hearsay from a bulletin board.

Next time you go to see your eye doctor take a list of your questions with you, so that you can get a well-informed answer from someone who has years of training on the subject.

[ Wednesday, June 04, 2003 05:59: Message edited by: Kyna ]

--------------------
we, the lost company,
-- Judith Wright

My website
Dance the Banned Dance
Member # 3052
Profile #17
Hey, Ghost. Do you have a bike? Ride it around when you have nothing else to do. I do that. I don't exactly like the thought of being on the computer all the time, cause it gets boring after a while. Yeah, and get a eye check at least once a year. (about)
I was wondering. Does anyone here have trifocals? I see some glasses commercials about them like americas best and all. I just don't see how people use them. I heard people use bifocals by looking at one for reading and the other for objects. But 3 lenses? That's screwed up.
Ghost, do you really have really bad eyes? My last year teacher had 700/20 eyesight. That's bad, she said.

[ Wednesday, June 04, 2003 06:19: Message edited by: Tome of Skulls ]
Shaper
Member # 2350
Profile #18
quote:
Genetics is more complicated than 'if your parents both share this trait ... you will have it too'.
I know. As I said, if it's because of my genes I have bad eyes, then they are unique and not inherited.

quote:
If you are really concerned about your eyes, it would be best to seek a professional opinion instead of relying on hearsay from a bulletin board.
Err… My teacher Biologie?

quote:
Next time you go to see your eye doctor take a list of your questions with you, so that you can get a well-informed answer from someone who has years of training on the subject.
The eye docor didn't know anything about that. He just was fanatical against computer. "Coputer is bad for everything."
Actually, he was against everything the humans invented, he sayed.

And he knows a lot about eyes, but nothing about computer.
I need the advice of someone who knows everything about computer AND alot about eyes.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 2628
Profile Homepage #19
My mother tried trifocals, but she couldn't get used to them.

She's needed glasses as long as I can remember for distance vision (eg driving). In her 50s she started to need help with her vision when reading - so she switched to bifocals.

While the bifocals help her with reading and distance vision, they don't help with a computer screen. Bifocals work because you glance down to read (the reading lenses are at the bottom) and look straight ahead to drive (through the distance lenses). The problem with bifocals is you need to look straight ahead to use a computer, meaning you are looking through the lenses that help with distance when your eyes need assistance with something not far away.

Since trifocals didn't work for her, she uses a second pair of glasses for the computer and her bifocals for reading & driving.

--------------------
we, the lost company,
-- Judith Wright

My website
Dance the Banned Dance
Member # 3052
Profile #20
But when you drive, don't you look straight ahead? I don't get it now. :confused:
Warrior
Member # 2893
Profile #21
I wear bifocals. The best ones are the progressive style instead of the ones with the lines. The progression allows you to focus on things that are neither far nor near but are in the mid-range. I once had a doctor recommend I wear tri-focals. I figure that was a way to get the mid-range as well as near and far. The bottom line is you do get used to them to the point of not even being concious of which part of the lens you are using.

The best advice I could give is to have an eye exam once per year. If you get headaches or have other problems between visits go see your doctor. Also tell your doctor what you do. Once mine knew I worked on a PC all day he made different recommendations. There are many add ons now that can help reduce even more glare.

And yes, genetics is more complex than looking back one generation. Kyna is right about this. She is also right when she advises to ask your doctor. Don't be afraid to go see another if you do not like what the first has said. They are people too and some have more experience in some matters above another's experience.

John
Dance the Banned Dance
Member # 3052
Profile #22
quote:
Felwynne:
The best advice I could give is to have an eye exam once per year. If you get headaches or have other problems between visits go see your doctor. Also tell your doctor what you do. Once mine knew I worked on a PC all day he made different recommendations. There are many add ons now that can help reduce even more glare.

I already said the eye exam part. :)
Are you talking about the glasses which help reduce glare or the computers? Cause there are glasses that adjust to any type of light, you know.
Warrior
Member # 2893
Profile #23
quote:
I already said the eye exam part.

Yes, you did say that first. I could not remember everyone who said what to properly attribute. Sorry about that.

Yes there are filters (or coatings I guess is a better word) that help eliminate or reduce some of the computer screen glare. That is what I was referring to. There are, as you said, the others that change with the light. I use the kind that reduce the glare. They also help when driving, watching tv etc.

John
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #24
I wouldn't be surprised if it was reading rather than the PC that knackered Ghost's eyesight. It certainly did for mine. (No jokes about what I was reading under the bedcovers as an early teen - not wearing the boxing gloves either.)

BTW, I think RSI is more likely to be a problem if you use keyboards a lot than eye damage. Make sure your wrists are supported!

Pages