Echolyn

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Echolyn
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 147
Profile #25
Blur are all right, but I do get annoyed when Damon Albarn pretends to be a tough cockney, since I happen to know that he comes from a rather wealthy family about 15 miles from here.

My playlist contains Alice Cooper, Alkaline Trio, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, British Sea Power, Guns and Roses, Incubus, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Motorhead, Muddy Waters, Nirvana, One Minute Silence, Pink Floyd, Placebo, Queens of the Stone Age, REM, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Tenacious D, The Clash, The Stone Roses and Weird Al.

Also one or two tracks of random stuff. My musical tastes are mostly decided by what I can get for £5 in the bargain bin at the local record store.
Infiltrator
Member # 16
Profile #26
Ahem.
Brand New, Coheed and Cambria, Cold Play, Count the Stars, Dashboard Confessional, Finch, Further Seems Forever, Hangnail, Jump Little Children, MXPX, Rufio, Saves the Day, Taking Back Sunday, The Early November, The Juliana Theory, The Police, and Weezer.

--------------------
You know, Scorp, there's a good reason you're not a moderator any more.
Posts: 441 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #27
My favorites list has:

Avril Lavigne, Barenaked Ladies, Billy Joel, Bob Seger, Lion King Soundtrack, George Gershwin, George Winston, Gerry Rafferty, Leon Russell, Michael Jackson, Nelly, Pink Floyd, Queen, Simon and Garfunkel, and some random free stuff.

I also like:

Alborada, Bobby McFerrin, Danny Gatton, Giora Feidman, Norah Jones, Missy Elliott, the Pointer Sisters, Peppino D'Agostino, the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack, and more klezmer.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #28
Lion King??

I don't usually like by band (except Smashmouth), just song, and I can't remember song names, just what they sound like, so... you are all spared yet another list.

Oh yeah, and Rosy, how can you not like Shrek?

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Triad Mage Banned Veteran
Member # 165
Profile Homepage #29
Because indie rock poseurs, my dear David, are not allowed to like anything enjoyed by more than a dozen other people.

--------------------
desperance -- je me souviens
arena -- et je me souviens de vous
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #30
Is there something wrong with the Lion King, David?

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Infiltrator
Member # 2445
Profile #31
Well, Alec, if I felt that about myself, I wouldn't be a vocal fan of Nirvana and the Pixies.

And to clarify, I don't listen to indie rock to be 'individual' or 'rebellious' or because I want to feel superior to all the mainstream listeners out there, but because I happen to prefer the sound of unsynthisized music and unbleeped lyrics.

I do think that going to a major label often destroys a band's independence and unselfconscious creativity, and I do prefer prog, experimental, and indie rock to mainstream stuff, but only because of the sound. I don't think I'm defined by what music I listen to, and I don't usually disrespect mainstream music.

The real 'poseurs' are bands like Sum 41 and Blink 182, and yes, even NoFX, which go around screaming 'we are individual! We don't follow trends! isn't that great?' and producing (for the most part) crap music.
One likes indie because the genre sounds good, not because it is indie.

As for you, David, I'm on the older side of my teens, and I've grown out of mass Shrek fandom and shrieking 'I have a Donkey McDonalds toy. Isn't it innapropriate and cute?'. You'll get there in a couple years. So will you, Alec. :P

--------------------
Aces off.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3026
Profile #32
I like Destiny's Child. It's good to do aerobics to.

--------------------
And this was very odd because
It was the middle of the night
- Lewis Carrol

well well well aren't we resilient

Oh the fun

Most generalizations are, unfortunately, true.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #33
Not at all, Drakey, except that I believe that's the first (and last) time I've ever seen Lion King, Nelly, Avril Lavigne, and klezmer in the same context...

Thank you for you explanation, Alec, I must say it's very accurate no matter how hard Rosy tries to make us believe otherwise...

And Rosy, Shrek is an awesome movie. Advertising takes the fun out of it for older people and makes it more exiting for little kids, I am proud to invlude myself in the former group. But it's an awesome movie, advertising or not.

EDIT: BTW it is my instinct to find the nearest sharp object and stab myself with it until a) I die or b) I run out of energy whenever I hear Destiny's Child. There you are, a simple way to kill me.

[ Tuesday, May 27, 2003 15:04: Message edited by: iDavid ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Shock Trooper
Member # 3026
Profile #34
Bootylicious OWNZ you my son

--------------------
- Lewis Carrol

Oh the fun

Infiltrator
Member # 2445
Profile #35
Alec, Sir David;

Jut because
Fact: I'm aware that my musical tastes don't conform with the norm and
Fact: I don't tend to like music that is universally popular, and
Fact: my tastes don't usually change as bands go in and out of superstardom
doesn't actually mean I like the music I do because I want to be 'different'. I was never one of the kids who tried to be weird in elementary school and hung out with the arties and goths in highschool.

I know who I am, and I don't define myself or others by musical tastes or clothing. Maybe you do, but that's just not my style. True, I have shocking pink hair, but otherwise I look pretty much like a conventional nineteen-year old. I don't go around telling people that they're all beneath contempt just because they listen to 50 Cent, Justin Timberlake, or Smashmouth. I show contempt for music I find particularly dire, but I don't go around criticizing the people who listen to it. I would never, for example, call someone a 'poseur'.

As for Shrek and advertising, WTF? I didn't even mention advertising above. I believe you're referring to my comment that 'going to a major label destroys a band's independence and unself conscious creativity'. I wasn't talking about advertising, I was talking about all the added productive management required to make a record if you go to the dark side.

Another thing you guys haven't even taken into account is that I actually like certain extremely popular artists. Natalie Imbruglia's first album was pretty cool, and I am an avid fan of Nirvana, Radiohead, Pennywise and The Pixies.

Also, David, I doubt you've heard a single riff by Jawbox, whereas I've seen Shrek before. In full. I'd suggest you actually listen to what you criticize before you start. Go ahead. Listen to some of the bands I mentioned in my 'playlist'. We might have an indie fan in the making - bands that write their own songs and manage their own tours can be pretty cool.

And that guy was being sarcastic. I know Nye, or at least his web personality, and his musical tastes haven't leaned towards hip-hop in the past.

--------------------
Aces off.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #36
I'm a survivor, I'm gonna make it ...

HOORJ.

I have varied musical tastes, as you can probably tell :P

--------------------
====
====
Member # 165
Profile Homepage #37
I have very varied tastes. I like a group because I like their music, not because I like their statement about originality or what they stand for. Who the hell cares if they have quotas to make, Rosycat? Artists want to be artists, and the better ones aren't being cheapened any by record labels.

You hear bleeped lyrics on TV and on the radio. You don't hear them on albums.

As for synthesized music, a lot of artists don't do that anyway, and others do it in a way that enhances rather than detracts from traditional sound from the same source.

And I bet if I were to take a poll, 90% would say they hated rap and country, and they'd do so mostly based on a couple of mediocre songs.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #38
I dislike lyrics. This odd musical preference restricts me mainly to classical music, so it's a good thing I like it. Some jazz is good too, namely the wordless variety, and there are some other nice "songs" without singing, but I listen mainly to classical from medieval to late romantic. Yes, I am a very strange individual

—Alorael, who can receive the label of "arrogant holier-than-though pseudo-intellectual" instead of "indie rock poseur." It would probably be an accurate description, too.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #39
:rolleyes:

Rosy, I can assure you I am not influenced by the tastes of others. I don't like flash-in-the-pan groups, in fact I believe I've already established that I like songs, not bands. And don't think that my hearing is restricted to songs that I like, either; I hear a wide variety of songs on the bus to and from school each day, 99% of which I hate but all of which I listen to anyway for lack of anything else to do, and since I have a friend who pretends to be a punk, I also hear quite a lot of punk music, goth music, skater music, and pretty much every kind of music from her. A friend of mine has tastes that change about twice a year, and when they change, it's pretty drastic; my mother has the classic radio stations on pretty much 24/7. Basically what I'm saying is I am not some little robot like most if not all of you think, and my judgements, tastes, etc. are based on a wide range of things.

And for the record, if I were in Justin Timberlake's vicinity with a gun in my hand, I would probably forget about the law and even my own thou shalt not murder belief completely. Just kidding. Sort of.

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Shock Trooper
Member # 3026
Profile #40
My, you certainly have violently feelings about POPULAR musical artists.

ROCK YOUR BODY, DAVID

--------------------
- Lewis Carrol

Oh the fun

Member # 165
Profile Homepage #41
:banana:, :monocle:

--------------------
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 147
Profile #42
Have a friend who's into punk music? Are they homophobic to some degree?

Tell them what the word really means. Hours of amusement ensue.
Apprentice
Member # 2581
Profile #43
What? Dry decayed wood, used as tinder?
Any of various substances that smolder when ignited, used to light fireworks?
Chinese incense, perhaps? :P

Though I believe the definition you are referencing is rather archaic, or, at the very least, not very common anymore. Then again, my swimming in the sort of circles which might use it have been quite shallow, so I could be entirely wrong.

It does somewhat make one wonder how the word got to describe the music, though...

As far as my musical tastes... I've determined I'll listen to anything. I'm a Corporate Trendwhore (tm) as well as an indie fan. I have almost every genre of music represented in my music lists, though I tend toward the electronic end of the spectrum.

The last five songs to come up on my random playlist were:
Mighty Mighty BossTones- Impression That I Get (AKA Knock On Wood)
The Cynic Project- Sidewinder
Me First and the Gimme Gimmes- Puff the Magic Dragon
Loreena McKennitt- The Mummer's Dance
Propellerheads- Spybreak!

Stuff is an avid punk/ska fan and was not terribly amused by the dry wood/gay male connotations of the word. But I think she's over it now. ;)

--------------------
Stuff? Don't mind if I do, thanks.
This may, in fact, be a long, rambling post without much bearing on the topic of the thread. Consider yourself warned.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 147
Profile #44
I'm not sure exactly how the term punk started to be used in a musical contxt, but I know when the first punk bands started referencing MC5 (I think that's the name) as an influence, those members of the gang who were incarcerated suddenly found prison much worse.

Pages