10,000 BC [Spoilers]

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: 10,000 BC [Spoilers]
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #0
Decent movie, saw it on Saturday. Was impressed by the scope of the movie, although certain things seemed a little campy. Nice to not see any big-name actors, since that usually detracts from escapist movies. Although, everyone had really good teeth, and the heroine had extremely well maintained eyebrows. The plot was great, please follow along.
1. Boy sees girl.
2. Boy falls for girl.
3. Timeslip.
4. Boy is awarded girl for task completed.
5. Boy loses girl when he admits he failed to complete said task.
6. Girl is kidnapped.
7. Boy chases.
8. Boy frees girl, but then she is recaptured.
9. Boy chases, gains allies.
10. Boy leads ragtag army to overthrow huge organized army, and manages to do so, overthrowing an empire.
11. Girl gets killed in action.
12. Girl is miraculously alive.
13. Boy and girl return home, accompanied by dramatic and heart-swelling music.

Scenery was amazing. CGI much more so. It was crappy spending more in 2 hours than I spend on a month for Netflix, but this needs to be seen on the big screen. One shot is of the hero mourning the loss of an "uncle" figure. His forearm takes up the entire lower half of the screen. That was a huge arm! Anyhow, go see it, preferably matinee. It's sort of a romance, but laidback-style.

[ Monday, March 10, 2008 12:11: Message edited by: Prior experience unhelpful ]

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #1
It was good to see this movie was almost as historically inaccurate as it's predecessor, One Million B.C. The main part I didn't like was how the protagonist's girl was miss perfect blue-eyed white girl, and the bad guys were the evil, bearded, towel-headed Arabs who kill people for fun. It was worse than 300 as far as racial undertones go. And, at the risk of sounding cliche, I was sad to see the ten foot tall emperor of the world get taken down so easily.

--------------------
You lose.
BANNED
Member # 10430
Profile #2
quote:
The main part I didn't like was how the protagonist's girl was miss perfect blue-eyed white girl, and the bad guys were the evil, bearded, towel-headed Arabs who kill people for fun. It was worse than 300 as far as racial undertones go.
That's why the movie was so exhilarating and revitalizing to my European soul. It stresses how we (the West) are awesome and progressive, whereas they (the East) are dastardly scumbuckets who can only win battles when they have a gross numerical advantage. And even then, they usually botch the job due to their innate pussiness and slack-jawed mentality.

In otherwords, movies such as 300 and 10,000 BC are stunning in their historical accuracy, especially for something that was produced by Hollywood.

[ Monday, March 10, 2008 01:29: Message edited by: Lepus timidus ]

--------------------
"I am Barzhal, and I am here to ask you a question:
Is a man not entitled to the products of his own essence?

No, says the servile in Medab. It belongs to the oppressed.
No, says the Shaper in Terrestia. It belongs to the Shaper Council.
No, says the Trakovite in hiding. It belongs to no-one.

I rejected those answers. Instead, I chose something
different. I chose the impossible. I chose… Ascension."
Posts: 136 | Registered: Wednesday, September 12 2007 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Lepus timidus:

That's why the movie was so exhilarating and revitalizing to my European soul. It stresses how we (the West) are awesome and progressive, whereas they (the East) are dastardly scumbuckets who can only win battles when they have a gross numerical advantage. And even then, they usually botch the job due to their innate pussiness and slack-jawed mentality.
If you're a troll, you're not very good at it.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #4
I'm from the east..@_@

--------------------
But after revenge is taken, nothing remains but a painful scar...
You ain't evil until you hear this!
Looking for group to slaughter the world..
BANNED
Member # 10430
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:

If you're a troll, you're not very good at it.

So the only way you can deal with opinions that are radically divergent from your own is to brand the orator a troll?

May I point out that I have been posting on this forum for quite a while, so I don't exactly fit the profile of the 'hit and run' troll.

quote:
Originally written by Azuma:

I'm from the east..@_@
You have my sympathies.

[ Monday, March 10, 2008 02:19: Message edited by: Lepus timidus ]

--------------------

Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #6
Thuryl's statement was perfectly correct: it began with 'if'. Trolls are insincere, but try to trick people into taking them seriously. Good trolls are good at getting taken seriously. So an insincere viewpoint that is hard to take seriously means a bad troll. A sincere viewpoint which no-one takes seriously is a case Thuryl did not address.

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
quote:

So the only way you can deal with opinions that are radically divergent from your own is to brand the orator a troll?
You have my sympathies.

—Alorael, who has always imagined that ethnocultural superiority is a very heavy burden under which to toil. It's not easy being the top of the foodchain.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #8
quote:

In otherwords, movies such as 300 and 10,000 BC are stunning in their historical accuracy, especially for something that was produced by Hollywood.
On the off chance that you aren't being facetious, your sentiment is pretty loutish. Not really sure what you're trying to accomplish, Bub, but if it's to set yourself up as a buffoon, congratulations! You've succeeded.

[ Monday, March 10, 2008 11:32: Message edited by: Drew ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 3716
Profile #9
Too bad when people tells the end of a movie I haven't seen yet. No point.

--------------------
"Inspiration comes from hard work" -Charles Baudelaire.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #10
quote:

quote:
The main part I didn't like was how the protagonist's girl was miss perfect blue-eyed white girl, and the bad guys were the evil, bearded, towel-headed Arabs who kill people for fun. It was worse than 300 as far as racial undertones go.

Joking or not, people have been banned for less. Maybe that should be done now.

--------------------
"What can you do with an anthropology degree other than study people?"

"...Hunt people?"
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #11
Sorry about that, decent forum software would allow spoiler tags, but at least now Alo has made an adjustment to the heading.

ET - Sorry you couldn't adjust your mindset to go beyond the current xenophobia between caucasian and arabs. It really is a shame, because in this film the Caucasians were the backwoods louts with no technology, and the Arabs were much more advanced at pretty much every level. The only thing that eventually helped the Caucasians was the introduction of farming, which was depicted through the gift of corn seed.
It is possible to displace yourself outside the current world problems, and actually enjoy something without seeing the devil. Really.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #12
It matters not. The movie implied that caucasians had the superior sense of morality. Same with 300. Superior technology or no, arabs always end up as the evil savages. I'm sorry you are a jaded mainstream media consumer who thinks its not important to point things like this out anymore.

--------------------
You lose.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

The movie implied that caucasians had the superior sense of morality. Same with 300. Superior technology or no, arabs always end up as the evil savages. I'm sorry you are a jaded mainstream media consumer who thinks its not important to point things like this out anymore.
I accept your apology. You might reconsider how strongly you identify with those "evil savages," because just the fact that they lose that battle doesn't mean anything about morality. In fact, looking at actual history, those savages enjoyed 11,000 years of cultural superiority before the various Caucasian cultures even came close to challenging them. These are unfortunate times in which we now live, and it is unfortunate that you are using them as a filter through which to view this movie, and apparently 300, which I've not yet seen.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #14
It does depict them as morally superior. How was that not clear? They have slaves, they force themselves on women, they kill for fun, and they have no regard for human life. The caucasians had a sense of honor, fraternity, and justice. You seem to be confusing this movie with history. Yes, historically they were indeed superior to the caucasians. Why then did the writers feel it necessary to depict the caucasians as morally superior? Because it's racist, that's why. It's not that I'm viewing it through a lens of our current era, but that it was written through such a lens. The evidence is clear, the movie played on our own ethnocentricity to make the heros seem more legitimate, and you fell for it. For you to pass over this facet completely makes you worse than LT, who at least picked a side.

--------------------
You lose.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #15
quote:

The evidence is clear, the movie played on our own ethnocentricity to make the heros seem more legitimate, and you fell for it.
You know, the heroes probably wouldn't have seemed "less legitimate" if the hue of their skin were duskier. Why does "falling for it" even matter? It's not like Salmon hates Middle Eastern people worse for seeing the film.

Oh my! Hollywood is using people that their broadest audience can identify with better to boost the market performance of a farcical fantasy romp! O tempora! O mores! Big deal. In recent days Rome has been depicted as the decadent hole it at times was, police corruption and mob tales abound, etc. It strains credulity that you would be so incensed about an airbrushed depiction of anglo-descended fantasy characters in this particular film when all cultures are in fact getting it from/in all ends, all the time.

[ Monday, March 10, 2008 14:09: Message edited by: Drew ]
BANNED
Member # 10430
Profile #16
quote:

[QB]It matters not. The movie implied that caucasians had the superior sense of morality.

So it is consistent with real life, especially in this day and age. I mean, how long has Europe been fighting off the scummy, barbaric, brutish hordes of Asia in order to prevent their women from being raped, their crops from being burnt, and their children from being sold as slaves? Probably millenia. The Battle of Tours, Moorish conquest of Spain and Portugal, The Siege of Vienna, The Mongols, The Imperial Japs, the constant attacks on Israel, Muslim aggression during the Crusades, etc etc. What I'm saying isn't 'racism', it's simple historical fact. Westerners have often need to take up the sword and bow against hordes of savages who have little concern for human life, and certainly don't 'play fair.' Saladin was probably an exception to the rule (although his underlings were always baying to loot, rape and kill).

quote:

Same with 300. Superior technology or no, arabs always end up as the evil savages.

I know that some Arabs served in Xerxes armies, but I thought the bulk of the troops were non-Arab.

http://battle-of-thermopylae.eu/main_armies.html

It's not like the narrator of 300 describes them as 'Arab', simply 'the hordes of Asia'. 'Hordes of Asia' is far more scary actually, because there were probably some Chinese in the mix. Brrr, chills the blood, doesn't it?

But it doesn't matter how many of the scumbuckets there are in said horde, because as the narrator says at the end: "The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one! Good odds for any Greek." Hell yeah! Makes me want to sign up for the war in Iraq and kick some Middle-Eastern ass!

You can't deny it, it is nice to see a film which makes whites feel proud to be a Westerner, instead of denouncing our heritage like those Whiteness studies BS classes do. Western societies are the most progressive and advanced societies in the world, so let's celebrate this in movies such as 300 and 10,000 BC, instead of begging for forgiveness from people who would have sodomized us if we had ever lowered the spear and turned our collective backs.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 8548
Profile #17
Some of the egalitarian crowd here really ought to read the laws and holy texts of ancient Mediterranean cultures. It's not a pretty picture, even by bronze age standards, and 10,000 BC is stone age. Hell, Saudi Arabia only abolished slavery in 1962, and human trafficking is still a huge issue!

As for appearance, the Mediterranean cultures (including Semetic, Arab, Persian, Berber, etc) are all Caucasian, just with slightly darker skin coming from desert living. They're white. The cultural difference between the West and the Middle East is mostly as a result of ethical beliefs, and it's obvious which culture is superior.

I mean, compare judging a man by his actions and personal conduct, or judging a man because his paternal great-grandfather forgot to sacrifice his goat's foreskin on the seventh month of the year of the camel. Come on...
BANNED
Member # 10430
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Higher Game:

[QB]
As for appearance, the Mediterranean cultures (including Semetic, Arab, Persian, Berber, etc) are all Caucasian, just with slightly darker skin coming from desert living. They're white.

Caucasian =/= white. I agree with you on the rest, though. Isn't it interesting that two different people can reach the same conclusion independently?

[ Monday, March 10, 2008 14:54: Message edited by: Lepus timidus ]

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #19
quote:

I mean, compare judging a man by his actions and personal conduct, or judging a man because his paternal great-grandfather forgot to sacrifice his goat's foreskin on the seventh month of the year of the camel. Come on...
Well, I'm convinced. Clearly by using a bevy of racist stereotypes to cobble together an account of the evils of the brown man, you've shown us all the superiority of Western culture.

Wait, actually, no you haven't.

[ Monday, March 10, 2008 15:03: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #20
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

It's not like Salmon hates Middle Eastern people worse for seeing the film.
Was this even part of the movie? Did I not make it clear that the movie is about a boy getting his girl? If the Pharaoh in 10,000 BC was killed, and they were still building pyramids during the time of Julius Caesar, doesn't this movie demonstrate how unimportant the actions of said boy were, at least in the overall picture?

And besides, it's not Middle Eastern people I hate.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 8548
Profile #21
quote:

Well, I'm convinced. Clearly by using a bevy of racist stereotypes to cobble together an account of the evils of the brown man, you've shown us all the superiority of Western culture.

Um, you missed where I said they were racially Caucasian, just like Europeans, and the difference is cultural. It's not even racist to attack someone's religion or ethics anyway. It's simply a fact that advanced, holistic metaphysics are a Western construct, beginning with the Greek philosophers, while barbarian cultures never advanced beyond materialism. This is unsurprising, since the region's geography supports trade well, and this is reflected in its denizens beliefs.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

You know, the heroes probably wouldn't have seemed "less legitimate" if the hue of their skin were duskier.
I disagree. When was the last time a major motion picture even had a non-white main protagonist? The answer: never. You don't think directors take this into account when doing casting?

--------------------
You lose.
BANNED
Member # 10430
Profile #23
quote:

quote:

His stereotype is far more accurate than the stereotype that the inhabitants of Asia were a noble and peaceful peoples.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 27
Profile #24
quote:
I disagree. When was the last time a major motion picture even had a non-white main protagonist? The answer: never. You don't think directors take this into account when doing casting?
Does In the Heat of the Night count as a major motion picture?

--------------------
Enraged Slith's Blades of Avernum Website

Kill Them Dead - Rate it now at CSR!

Pages