Geology Lecture

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Geology Lecture
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #50
RFID chips in guns.

Detectors in doorjams of all commercial doors. Whether or not you hook them up to anything will be up to the architect/builder.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #51
I find it surprising that none of these suicidal killers place a homemade explosive in their backpack and detonate themselves in a hallway when class gets out.

quote:
...and an emergency broadcast system that alerts the entire school and local officials at the flip of a switch?

Some colleges implemented such a system after the Virginia Tech massacre, but I'm assuming expense is the reason behind other universities not doing the same.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #52
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

I find it surprising that none of these suicidal killers place a homemade explosive in their backpack and detonate themselves in a hallway when class gets out.
That doesn't work for the fantasy they're fulfilling. They want to watch the people they're shooting get shot. It doesn't work for them if they don't get to see the immediate aftermath, however briefly it precedes their own deaths.

That's the big difference between sociopaths and zealots.

[ Wednesday, February 20, 2008 18:35: Message edited by: Drew ]
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #53
Originally by Nioca:

quote:
I admit that I have little experience on such matters and may be off-base or incorrect on this, but from what I can glean, there really isn't too much being done to counter such an emergency. Mind, not all that much can be done for such a situation, but I still think that a little more could be done to stop such attacks before they reach their full potential. Maybe armed security guards, and an emergency broadcast system that alerts the entire school and local officials at the flip of a switch?
It's important to remember that mass school shootings are infrequent--they're just guaranteed to make national news when they do occur. So any preventive measure has to be cost-effective and extremely convienient to be worth it.

Also, to a certain extent, the more often emergency measures are taken, the less effective they become. My high school abused the lockdown to the point where it was a joke. If there had been an actual incident, it would be hard to get everyone to take it seriously until too late. Being complacent may be worse than being unprepared.

Dikiyoba.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #54
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

It's important to remember that mass school shootings are infrequent--they're just guaranteed to make national news when they do occur. So any preventive measure has to be cost-effective and extremely convienient to be worth it.

Also, to a certain extent, the more often emergency measures are taken, the less effective they become. My high school abused the lockdown to the point where it was a joke. If there had been an actual incident, it would be hard to get everyone to take it seriously until too late. Being complacent may be worse than being unprepared.

Dikiyoba.

You know, they could easily solve both of these problems in one fell swoop by actually hiring someone to come into school with a gun and shoot at people every so often.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #55
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

You know, they could easily solve both of these problems in one fell swoop by actually hiring someone to come into school with a gun and shoot at people every so often.
Crap. Now we'll have to change methods again.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #56
Here's a solution ...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #57
If I was trying to bring down a shooter I'd probably miss and hit someone else. Really, though, that's what's been debated about this whole time.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #58
quote:
I always thought gun control was a bit pointless. People who want a gun for illegal activities will get one wether or not it's legal. Only law abiding citizens who want guns would have trouble getting one if control was stricter.
You are making several assumptions. The first is that every gun used in a crime was purchased by a criminal. The second is that all crimes involving guns are premeditated at the time the gun is purchased. The third is that every criminal who can purchase a gun can and would also obtain it illegally if he were not allowed to purchase it. There are more, but what I'm leading up to is that they're nonsense.

We have strict gun control here. I don't have statistical figures right now, but this is what I remember from the last time I saw some: The crime rate is not amazingly lower. The percentage of crimes involving guns is lower, the percentage of crimes involving knives or other weapons probably higher, and what it boils down to is that more violent crime victims are injured than killed. You can't win them all, but this figure is arguably a benefit.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #59
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

You are making several assumptions. The first is that every gun used in a crime was purchased by a criminal. The second is that all crimes involving guns are premeditated at the time the gun is purchased. The third is that every criminal who can purchase a gun can and would also obtain it illegally if he were not allowed to purchase it. There are more, but what I'm leading up to is that they're nonsense.
Or to put it more simply, a "law-abiding citizen" is just a potential criminal who hasn't committed a crime yet.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #60
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Or to put it more simply, a "law-abiding citizen" is just a potential criminal who hasn't been caught committing a crime yet.
FYT :)

Michael Moore had a summer series, TV Nation, and once after reading about all the neighbor interviews saying what a nice guy the mass murder was, set up a fake weirdo possibly killer. He had the guy making strange noises in his house late at night, placing items by the curbside garbage barrel looking like they had dried blood on them, and other suspicious activities. All the neighbors said he was a nice guy that kept to himself.

[ Wednesday, February 27, 2008 14:22: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #61
People who haven't been caught but have in fact committed a crime aren't "law-abiding."

[ Wednesday, February 27, 2008 16:35: Message edited by: Drew ]
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #62
Sure they are. I can even name a few that work for my local police department. Now if I could have found someone that might have gotten those felonies prosecuted, then they wouldn't still be considered "law abiding" by the police.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #63
My high school had the worst evacuation plan ever. Everyone gathered in a clump out on the football field. Now, there might have been a good reason, for this, but I fail to see it.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #64
The field is probably relatively distant from the main school building(s), so it's a safe place to clump. Clumping means people can be counted and checked off, meaning no child gets left behind (in a good way!). That said, it's a terrible evacuation plan in case of malicious intent rather than fire or spontaneous toxic fumes.

—Alorael, who also would recommend picking a direction and running indefinitely in case of quickfire containment breach on school grounds.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #65
quote:
Originally written by Restful Repose:

The field is probably relatively distant from the main school building(s), so it's a safe place to clump. Clumping means people can be counted and checked off, meaning no child gets left behind (in a good way!). That said, it's a terrible evacuation plan in case of malicious intent rather than fire or spontaneous toxic fumes.
In most schools, the standard response to an armed intruder on the grounds is a lock-in, not an evacuation.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #66
Yes. There was a separate alarm for each of these at my school, and the drills mainly made sure that we could tell them apart - because one half of people locking the door and cowering behind desks while the other half tries to get out is counter-productive in an emergency.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #67
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

Yes. There was a separate alarm for each of these at my school, and the drills mainly made sure that we could tell them apart - because one half of people locking the door and cowering behind desks while the other half tries to get out is counter-productive in an emergency.
Yes, hence chaos.

At my school, there isn't even an evacuation plan that I'm aware of. Nor is there a lockdown plan. My campus (really just a center) is too small for it to make much of a difference. It's also located right next to an outdoor mall. I'm sure that would have some kind of impact on the danger situation.

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

Always remember, kids: every time you 'lol', God kills a kitten.

My website: Nemesis' Refuge (Last Update: 3/7/08)
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #68
If your in a school massacre, remember, the untrained gunman will miss is you run criss-cross across the shooting plain, and you can hide behind objects if the gunman has low-caliber bullets, if he has high-caliber bullets, run like hell, also keep in mind that shotguns are short range and inaccurate.

Use tazers, lower death rate.

--------------------
Vivan los Drayks! Viva Khyryk! Vivan los Serviles! Vivan los Travokites!
Tastes like Bambi, delicious
No matter what name I have, people can call me Xel
Pylons! this is what you send to blizzard if they cancel Starcraft 2.
Warrior
Member # 5161
Profile #69
Wait, how is this a geology lecture? Did I miss something? :(

--------------------
Blah blah blah I can't hear you!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #70
quote:
Originally written by Xel'Raga:

If your in a school massacre, remember, the untrained gunman will miss is you run criss-cross across the shooting plain, and you can hide behind objects if the gunman has low-caliber bullets, if he has high-caliber bullets, run like hell, also keep in mind that shotguns are short range and inaccurate.

Use tazers, lower death rate.

Because obviously anyone will be able to tell at a glance what kind of bullets he's using.

You're a fool.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #71
I think if you saw a bullet rip its way though a desk, I think you could work out that it was a high-caliber bullet, but that is if your mental capacity high enough to figure that out, sheesh.

--------------------
Vivan los Drayks! Viva Khyryk! Vivan los Serviles! Vivan los Travokites!
Tastes like Bambi, delicious
No matter what name I have, people can call me Xel
Pylons! this is what you send to blizzard if they cancel Starcraft 2.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #72
quote:
Originally written by olop4444:

Wait, how is this a geology lecture? Did I miss something? :(
Jumpin' Salmon is being himself. No worries

We have a lockdown plan, but my high school is really easy to run out of.

Hmm...Funny how those Google Earth images are so old.

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #73
Having only been shot at once, I'm not a great person to give good advice here. But, you know how difficult it is for me to pass up a chance.

When someone shoots at you, the best course of action is whatever it takes to not get hit. Getting shot hurts. It hurts real bad. You are likely to not want to get shot. Therefore, if you sense bullets are aimed at you and are flying through the air, put yourself behind something or somebody. I had the good fortune to have a building I could duck behind, but in a pinch you should use walls, desks, people, whatever. Either get in a position where you can run like hell without getting shot in the back, or where you can return fire without getting hit immediately.

And I'm really sorry that you expected a geology lecture. That must mean you didn't hear about the school shooting that took place during a geology lecture, and I is sad to have broken the news to you. On several levels.

And remember, don't get shot because it hurts bad.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 27
Profile #74
quote:
And remember, don't get shot because it hurts bad.
Aww darn, there goes my weekend.

--------------------
Enraged Slith's Blades of Avernum Website

Kill Them Dead - Rate it now at CSR!

Pages