Avernum , Geneforge or ?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Avernum , Geneforge or ?
Apprentice
Member # 12839
Profile #0
Hi Guys

I found this place ( own a mac ) and want to play one of these games but I dont know what is the best option for me cause I havent played them , I like games like ultima 7, no linear , large maps and many places to explore, good plots and of course all the elements of rpg games ... any suggestion which is the best option for me

Thanks for the help :)

--------------------
hope
Infiltrator
Member # 9887
Profile #1
Any should be fine, but if you're new and not interested in playing a whole series, I would advise Geneforge 4 or Avernum 5. If you want to play a whole series, start with Geneforge 1 or Avernum 1 and make your way up from there.

--------------------
Hmm... Ornks, gazers and guacamole. What kind of food would you get?
=:T:=
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
The original Avernum trilogy (1-3) is probably the most open-ended and Ultima-like. The Geneforge games tend to limit you a bit more, and Avernums 4 and 5 railroad quite a bit, although it really works out just fine and you never feel terribly constrained (in A5, at least).

Fortunately, demos are available for all the games. They give you a very fair sense of what the games are like, so I highly recommend taking a few minutes or hours to test a few. At the very least try one of the first three Avernums, one of the Geneforges, and one of the later Avernums.

—Alorael, who also cannot recommend Nethergate enough. It's not in a series, and in world size it's the smallest of the games. It's fantastic, though.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 12839
Profile #3
Thanks for the advices :)

downloading demos..

by the way what is the difference between geneforge series and avernum series ?

--------------------
hope
Infiltrator
Member # 9887
Profile #4
The biggest difference is the setting, storyline, and content.

The settings are completely different, and not related. the storyline, well duh, and in Geneforge there is magic called shaping, that is not in avernum.

--------------------
Hmm... Ornks, gazers and guacamole. What kind of food would you get?
=:T:=
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
The game engine and the universe are different. The graphics are different (and different people prefer one or the other) — a screenshot will tell you more than I can in words. In Avernum, you're an adventuring party in a fairly normal sense. In GF, you create a host of monsters to help you. Avernum is completely turn-based; GF is real-time, except in combat.

All of this is in reference to Avernums 1-3, of course; A4 and A5 are a little different. Personally, I'd recommend starting with Avernum 1, but there are those who would put forward A2, GF1, GF4, or Nethergate (also a very fine game).

[ Thursday, December 27, 2007 10:44: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #6
I'd also recommend starting with Avernum 1 and Geneforge 1, but if you don't like them, skip to the second installments in the series, rather than giving up completely. If A2 and G2 don't work out for you either, try A5 and G4. The engines evolved noticeably as the series progressed, and the latest games are supposedly best in terms of writing as well. (I haven't played A5 yet.)

You are about to see the differences for yourself, but the biggest one is that in Geneforge you play a single character who creates creatures to fight and have a lot of choises about which side to support, with many things you do affecting the outcome of the game. Avernum games are more typical RPGs, with a faceless adventuring party and a pre-defined plot. (Although there are lots of sidequests and a large world to explore in both series.)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Apprentice
Member # 6678
Profile Homepage #7
Geneforge was an amazing start to a new series. Really awesome game.

--------------------
Formerly EatAChinchilla...
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #8
If you want a fun game that isn't all that big, but is quite charming and excellent in its own way, you should check out Nethergate.

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Warrior
Member # 5310
Profile #9
Try out A2. It's Jeff's best game.
A1 comes second, I've never liked A3 that much, even if I did enjoy E3 a lot. Don't know why though.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #10
The Geneforge series have many different endings, interesting plot, and is quite big.

The Avernum series has lots to do, interesting plot, and is also quite big.

As for Nethergate, I didn't like it that much but you might.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, but not sanity -Iffy
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
I like this image
Not in your shed -We are sort of done. Helpful critizism is welcome.
Everyone, just call me Iffy. Please.

Be grateful you have your unsellabe trowels -Goldenking
Warrior
Member # 7195
Profile #11
Well, regardless of other things, if you have the money to spend, go ahead and play the series in order, it's much more fun than just playing a single game
Or, if you don't for any obscure reason like the style of the games, do try Blades of Exile/Avernum, where the fans themselves createn the adventures

--------------------
USA is evil!
Europe is bust!
Wars are elsewhere!
Unity is a must!
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by denniscr:

Thanks for the advices :)

downloading demos..

by the way what is the difference between geneforge series and avernum series ?

Avernum is better...and cheaper.
:D

--------------------
I dub thee...
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #13
BoE is open source, so it is free.

--------------------
Don't judge a sentence until you know all the words.
I like this image
Not in your shed -We are sort of done. Helpful criticism is welcome.

Apprentice
Member # 12941
Profile #14
I would recommend G1 or G4(G3 tells a bit of the G4 story with characters.) G1 would be good because you vs more enemies very quickly.
But G4 would be great because it gives you a variety of different
classes. Oh yeah, I was wondering .
Is it just me or does BoA have the same interface as NG/NG:R??
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #15
The engine of Nethergate: Resurrection is based on the engine for BoA.

--------------------
Don't judge a sentence until you know all the words.
I like this image
Not in your shed -We are sort of done. Helpful criticism is welcome.

Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #16
It depends what type of person you are.

Both are fantastic RPGs with an incredibly creative storyline and plot, but there's a few differences you'll come across.

In Avernum you always control four party members (Unless, of course, someone died) while in Geneforge you control at least one, and to a maximum eight. While the creations you can control in Geneforge aren't always as useful as having another customizable character buffed up with armor and weapons, there's always something so be said for strength in numbers. Another good bonus is that in Geneforge if Beastie 1 dies, you can simply make another one. In Avernum, if Theodoric dies, you have to go back to the healer and get him a rez.

Overall, I think I like Avernum better. I was a bit miffed I couldn't give Beasties 1-8 any weapons; I dreadfully resented not being able to share my Black Halberds with them.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #17
There's Black Halberds in Geneforge, plural?

The rakshashi are pretty good fight, and the Black Halberd is definitely worth it.

--------------------
I dub thee...
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

There's Black Halberds in Geneforge, plural?

There aren't any Black Halberds on Geneforge. In fact, I don't think there is anything besides swords in Geneforge.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
In fact, I don't think there is anything besides swords in Geneforge.
That's lame. I've only played the demos so I wouldn't know.

[ Thursday, January 03, 2008 12:21: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

--------------------
I dub thee...
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #20
There are no melee weapons other than swords and daggers in the Geneforge series. There are many different kinds of swords with different magical powers and so on, but there are no maces or spears, and there are no two-handed weapons. The whole medieval European arsenal thing is played down, in favor of exotic Shaper weaponry like spore batons and torrent gems. And there are a bunch of different ways you can enhance all your equipment, as well as artifacts that you can forge once you collect all their rare components. The bottom line is that there are still plenty of ways to pimp your character; they're just not the same old ways you've seen a million times before.

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #21
If you knew me before, you'd know my obsession with Black Halberds.

It is a single Halberd in Exile/Avernum III, which I cloned to no end. I tried forcing my characters to wield them one handed, but I unfortunately failed. (I think some mention of that was put in Dikiyoba's hilarious narration)

Fear the power!

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!