The Future

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Future
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #25
quote:
Originally written by My Brother Unforgiven:

It would be fairly interesting to see an RPG set in the real modern day. No hidden magic. No aliens. No sci-fi technology masquerading as CIA secrets. Just plain ol' modern life.

You are a pedestrian trying to get past a certain house in Alaska where a sniper kills everything on foot.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #26
Alo's Modern Life. Maybe we can get the Nickelodeon people to pick it up after all...

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #27
So, regarding that RPG Tyran mentioned a while back...

I tried the demo, and yeah, I kind of like it. A bit tricky to navigate if you're used to the turn-wise gameplay of Avernum. It's very clearly based on the Diablo interface, from the inventory to the combat and those red/blue health and magic counters.

Unfortunately, after spending some time in it, I mouthed off to a thief without realizing the encounter was way out of my level range, and got a lesson in saving often. :P

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair. | I have a love of woodwind instruments.
"That damn meddling eskimo." --WKS about Alorael
Apprentice
Member # 6985
Profile #28
i would also not have a problem with him using my idea, i just questioend the legal hassles before because atlantis is hardly my idea, its everywhere, i havent heard of anyone owning a copyright on it
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #29
Legend of Atlantis is supposedly as old as civilization. But, that's a legend in itself. :P

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #30
As a matter of fact, it was an allegory invented by Plato.

However, the time period given by him was almost four times as long ago (9000 years) when he lived as has passed since then (2400 years). Draw your own conclusions.

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair. | I have a love of woodwind instruments.
"That damn meddling eskimo." --WKS about Alorael
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #31
Plato claimed that he got the legend of Atlantis from the Egyptians. There have been attempts to place it as a distorted account of the Cretean civilization. Locations for Atlantis include the island of Thera in the Aegean Sea that suffered a volcanic eruption and out in the Atlantic Ocean in the Bahamas and Cuba.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #32
Hard evidence could also explain it. I think Ballard found villages 500' feet below the Black Sea. It is easy to imagine that glacial melt would have erased seashore cities, and without written records all we have is oral tradition. Allegory follows, especially if you don't want to piss off Posideon.

--------------------
WWtNSD?

Synergy - "I don't get it."
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #33
From what I've read that is the explanation for the Biblical Flood. There was a sudden influx of water from the Mediterrean Sea in a matter of days that raised the water level and sent the survivors fleeing.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #34
The NG site says around 6" per day. Not so noticeable at first, but after 3 days they would fear. Picture the Austin Powers steamroller scene.

Isn't it likely that Egyptian legend could have come with the conquering tribe of the Syrian highlands?

--------------------
WWtNSD?

Synergy - "I don't get it."
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #35
Why do bother speculate stuff?
Jeff has all ready decided what he was going to do so let's watch and enjoy the show shall we?

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #36
Mars, you're already Canned. Try not to revive old topics when you don't have anything worthwhile to add, because you're just digging yourself deeper.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 10234
Profile #37
I hope that if Jeff does 3D that he can do it better than the original NWN and Dungeon Siege 2 --- there's something that is crude-looking about "chunky" 3D characters. While I can pass off games like Nethergate as "retro", 3-D polygon mish mash faces up close are neither retro nor modern.

Or just do it 3D and have a top down isometric view (for fluid and realistic animation) but don't do close-ups if the close ups aren't nice and smooth looking, or if the mouths don't move when people are speaking...(!)

What I like about current SW games:

1. Turn-based combat, not real time clickfests.

2. Jeff's room and location descriptions.

3. Party combat, not solo mode only (with tagalong npc's)
Warrior
Member # 6714
Profile Homepage #38
quote:
Originally written by Dyskaryote:

Posting a game idea all but guarantees that it will not be used. Jeff doesn't want our ideas anyway, but he definitely doesn't want our legal hassles.

—Alorael, who expects Jeff will come up with something interesting and exciting. Also moral ambiguities and hard choices. Oh, and plenty of towns to depopulate more or less at will once you're high level.

I seriously don't think any of us would actually sue for royalties. I know I definitely wouldn't...I'd be honored if Jeff took a suggestion I gave. At the most--at the VERY MOST I MIGHT ask for a textual acknowledgement...something like "Original idea submitted by ___" or what have you, and not even that, probably, since I really wouldn't care. I don't have the motivation or the skills to pursue any ideas I come up with, so seeing them used in some fashion would be good enough for me.

--------------------
Well that signature was out of date, since I've not been here in forever.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #39
Jeff needs to put a disclaimer in the registration screen- "By registering an account on this forum, you allow any ideas that you yourself posted to be used in any way by Spiderweb Software."

But in more refined legal terms, of course.

[ Tuesday, September 11, 2007 12:21: Message edited by: Thoughts in Chaos ]

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #40
If it's 3D, it is probably a single character game. Building a whole party in 3D would be nightmarish if it is the first time you are doing the game. It will probably be a fantasy game because that is what he has done before. It will probably be a conversion of Blades of Geneforge into a single character 3D environment. Maybe, it will have some unique settings which he hasn't tried before.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #41
quote:
Jeff needs to put a disclaimer in the registration screen- "By registering an account on this forum, you allow any ideas that you yourself posted to be used in any way by Spiderweb Software."

But in more refined legal terms, of course.
I think that what you are missing is that, even if there were no legal obstacles to using other peoples ideas, Jeff still wouldn't do it. His video games are his expressions and creations and he would be selling himself short to use someone else's ideas.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
BoaEdit
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #42
Although, my impression from looking at OGRE 3D is that it is better than Irrlicht, Irrlicht is another open source 3D platform for games...

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.

Pages