The classics

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: The classics
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #0
I'm quite curious as to the number of people who still play the same old games as I do on occasion. I didn't include Exile due to the fact this forum revolves around Spidweb games. Feel free to post any others.

[ Friday, June 01, 2007 17:07: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 6 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=buFItpQGLSDM"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=buFItpQGLSDM"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
WWJD?
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
Those are all too new for me to consider them classics.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #2
The actual choices should be things like Asteroids.

--------------------
Pass the sauerkraut and chips please.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #3
Angband. But no, I don't play old games. They suck, there are plenty of semi-old newer games that are way better. I don't think I can ever stress enough how badly Realmz sucks.

--------------------
You lose.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #4
For a more representative poll, see:

the Classic RPG Heritage Poll from March 2006.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 8854
Profile #5
Meh. I liked Realmz once upon a time, but I don't really feel like the versions inbetween my first flirting with the game and the last time I tried it (still some years back) were a firm step forward.

And while it's got a Windows port, it's not really a good one and I don't game on my Mac anymore. I never really played the other three.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #6
Realmz kinda sucked. You had to pay a large sum for the game itself and character editor(I just used a multi-game editor that was free), then you have to pay for each scenario(and I'm pretty sure the scenario maker), most of which weren't worth the money and what you go from sampling them wasn't enough to hook you. Plus out of the reasonably sized spell selection, there were only a handful you actually needed. The rest were at best, fluff. At worst, useless.

I found an old copy of Ultima, but I could figure out what the hell it was I was supposed to be doing or how.

I've never played those other 2, but if they're anything like what I have played, then I probly wouldn't be playing them today

--------------------
Did you know: When asked about his voicing of Unicron, Orson Welles is quoted as saying, "Unicron was the perfect character for me to play. I find it easy to relate to him. We're both the size of a planet and we both can eat said planet."

Did you know: After the Holocaust, Germany decided that it takes at least 57 murders before they'll even consider prosecution and guys like Ted Bundy would known as 'Weekend Warriors'

Did you know: Most facts on the internet are made up with little or no thought to decency or good sense. And that most of the people who make them die a lonely pathetic death.
Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #7
In the time-honored spiderweb meta-game of criticizing polls, rather than answering them, I demand to know why no "none of the above" option is available.

I also demand to know why you choose this seemingly random collection of games and called them classics. I've only heard of 2 of the 4 listed, and Realmz a classic? That's like calling Paris Hilton a Shakespearian actress.

Would Jesus post this poll?

--------------------
Pan Lever: Seventeen apple roving mirror moiety. Of turned quorum jaggedly the. Blue?
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #8
What Would The Avatar Do?

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #9
In times like these, I find we all should ask ourselves 'What Would Henry Rollins Do'

--------------------
Did you know: When asked about his voicing of Unicron, Orson Welles is quoted as saying, "Unicron was the perfect character for me to play. I find it easy to relate to him. We're both the size of a planet and we both can eat said planet."

Did you know: After the Holocaust, Germany decided that it takes at least 57 murders before they'll even consider prosecution and guys like Ted Bundy would known as 'Weekend Warriors'

Did you know: Most facts on the internet are made up with little or no thought to decency or good sense. And that most of the people who make them die a lonely pathetic death.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #10
Jarlsberg would definitely submit this poll to the wastepile.

--------------------
WWtNSD?
Warrior
Member # 6096
Profile Homepage #11
Angband, Nethack, Might&Magic1&2, Zork, Adventure, etc.

Realmz was a bit buggy or unstable on my mac, so I never registered it. I have a copy of at least one of the Ultima games, but the emulator is not so good.

EDIT: I tried Omega a couple of times but it was too difficult for me, if we're talking about the same Omega.

[ Sunday, June 03, 2007 03:33: Message edited by: *Milu* ]
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #12
Star Control 2, Betrayal at Krondor, Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong, Angband, Oxyd.

Honestly, I'm not sure if any games mentioned in your poll qualify as classics. Where's Pacman?

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Apprentice
Member # 8406
Profile #13
nethack was the greatest, even though i almost never got past minetown
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #14
Nalyd has never heard of them, though he would probably love them all if he played.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #15
MOO (Master of Orion) and MoM (Master of Magic) are the only really old games I've played recently.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.